The first XI: An unofficial sneak peek at the 2019 U20s

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I mean, to be fair many of them were so good their clubs wouldn't release them. We were still pretty good from the wings besides that, it just seems like 97/98 strikers available fell apart before the U20 WC.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Who are the leading candidates to start at the fullback spots?

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Unless someone has suggestions for guys outside the current U17 pool, my guess is that the answers you are going to get are ... guys in the current U17 pool.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Was kinda hoping there are some guys in the 99 pool who might be good enough to push the 17s.

5. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outside of the U17 pool, '99s Tijuana U20 RB Angel Uribe, LAG U17/18 RB Aristotle Zarris, and Sounders 2 LB Jake Morris could be in the mix to start. '99 dual-national fullbacks playing for other countries include RB Corey Anton and LB Edwin Lara, though I'm skeptical they would jump ship to the US for this cycle.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Lara's an interesting case. its been a while since he jumped ship to Mexico...................and how many youth caps does he have with them? One official match at the U17 World Cup. I know that much. It was their loss to Nigeria if my memory serves me correctly. He's been with them a lot, but how important have them made him?

When that tweet came out about a youngster "rejoining" USYNTs, Lara did spring to mind.

Gacm32 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    If you're an odd birth year it can be a long few years between your U17 and U20 cycles. Did Lara figure at all for this past Mexico U20 class?

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  8. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    Philly Union left back Matthew Real ('99) has significant USL experience at this point. He and Jose Alfaro ('99) from the Chicago Fire have been frequent call-ups at left back with this age group. But I don't have much of a feel for how good they are.

9. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    Portland's Harold Hanson is playing right back a lot for T2, and is transitioning from at attacking position. I've not seen him play this year, but he has YNT experience, and could be an option if he develops as a defender .

10. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on our Yanks on Foreign YNTs thread, it doesn't appear so. Not one callup for their 2017 U20 cycle. He got a few callups to their U18s and one to their U21s.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  11. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are two amateur 99s who have played a bit of LB in the USL this year as well: LA's Ian Lonergan and Saint Louis FC's Aedan Stanley. Stanley has popped up in YNT camps in the past, I believe, and has started their last three matches. STLFC conceded two goals over those 270 minutes, so he probably wasn't totally awful at least.

I also don't have a sense of their long-term potential.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  12. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Used to play for FC Golden State here in So Cal. Saw him play a couple times at CM against the Galaxy. So, obviously Portland has recruited him up there. Explosive athlete with solid technical skills, and a change to RB seems like a good move.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Helpful list by Balerion of potential players who could be on this team. I bolded the non-prominent players that might emerge from USL who would seem to be big benefits from their club team's having USL programs. Kind of subjective, but thats not really the point here. All these players are probably benefiting from the new emphasis from MLS teams on getting their younger players minutes in USL.

Pl@ymaker and USSoccerNova repped this.
  14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's nice that there are quite a few fullbacks getting playing time at this level. Bailey and Hanson are RBs; Lonergan, Real, and Stanley are LBs.

Of course, while there is safety numbers, there are no guarantees. Once upon a time the U20s were said to be looking good at LB at the beginning of the cycle because Juan Pablo Ocegueda, Sean Cunningham, and Danny Potts were competing for time.

15. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The second-highest scorer in the U18 DA this season was Kyle Holcomb, a '00 forward from Pateadores. I've never heard anything about him, but I'm curious - 26 goals in 27 games is good stuff for a player young enough to be eligible for the U16 DA.

Do any of our SoCal types like @Peretz48 or @ielag know anything about him?

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  16. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    Different subject, but if there is an under-the-radar thing to watch with this group, it's having quality depth in winger type a-mids and not just in natural central a-mids. I know Ferreira and Carleton look like great starting wingers on paper, but after them what do we have? Also, Ferreira brings speed to the position that Carleton does not. I like Carleton as a player, but I am a bit concerned that a 4-2-3-1 formation with, e.g., Carleton--Pomykal--Taitague as the a-mids won't have the counterattacking prowess that it would have with Ferreira on the field. Basically, this is a long-winded way of saying that Ferreira brings qualities that I'm not sure anyone else does. I don't have a ton of confidence in Weah as a winger after his U-17 qualifying performances, though his speed is certainly impressive.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  17. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Was with the Galaxy a couple years ago. Not sure if he felt like his playing time would diminish with Negrete, Becerra, etc but he's put up huge numbers since joining Pateadores.

18. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Who plays the #10 for Pateadores?

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm pretty sure Stanley is a CB who can play LB, but I was also interested why Holcomb puts up such goal scoring numbers. I watched his 2015-16 season highlight video, and I didn't notice a particular reason for him scoring so many goals other than that he's a good finisher who is kind of okay at every aspect. I'm pretty sure he hasn't been called into any YNT's before, and I find it strange. You would figure this guy should've been called up by now.

20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Because the wife and kid are asleep and the house is quiet, I put together a list of all the 99s called in under Namazi under the auspices of the U18 program. When they eventually switch it over to '01s I'll start a new sheet. (I don't plan to go into the same level of detail I do for the U20s, just names and camps.)

As always, corrections welcome, as are reasonable suggestions and offers of help. Oh, and if a guy has a "1" next to his name he's a GK.

Abdi Faris
    Adams Tyler
    Aguilera Jr. Raul
    Alfaro Jr. Jose
    Alvarenga Alberto
    Anton Cory
    Austin Brandon 1
    Belloni Urso Paolo
    Brewer Jr. Shaft
    Bulut Arda
    Burnett Joshua
    Cappis Christian
    Carr Koby
    Carranza Jose
    Davis Gideon
    De Sota Rhys
    Del Rosario Lucas
    Dorsey Griffin
    Douglas Cameron 1
    Esparza Jonathan
    Espinoza Ernesto
    Evans Brecc
    Eves McKay
    Fernandez Omir
    Fetterly James 1
    Filipe Jonathan
    Fontana Anthony
    Gonzalez Jonathan
    Grey Christopher
    Gruno Kyle
    Haig Landen
    Hanson Harold
    Heller Bailey
    Inalien Will
    Jones Daniel
    Katsiyiannis Thomas
    Lopez Eric 1
    Lopez Leonardo 1
    Maher Jack
    Marcu Damen
    Marquez-Ramirez Leonardo
    McKenzie Mark
    McMaster Justin
    Mendoza Glademir
    Milesi Alessandro
    Morris Jake
    Morrison Andrew 1
    Muse Trey 1
    Paoli Andrew
    Perez Emmanuel
    Perez Alfred
    Perez Bryan
    Pergjini Nicholas
    Perry Nebiyou
    Pomykal Paxton
    Real Matthew
    Rennicks Justin
    Rogers Samual
    Rosario Gabe 1
    Russell Stirling
    Salas Mark
    Scott Brady 1
    Servania Brandon
    Shigenobu Kazuyoshi
    Smir Alec 1
    Stanley Aedan
    Steibel Seth 1
    Stretch Callum
    Sundquist Cody
    Taitague Nick
    Takaki Christian
    Tomozawa Kei
    Toribio Noah
    Torres Juan
    Tracey Gregory
    Uribe Angel
    Vedamanikam Alex
    Verhoven Noah
    Virgen Erik
    Vom Steeg Carson
    Wright Hanif
    Zarris Aristotle​

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lEyhcweounRgP6uYI44U0WoQDpwsQVkCFRebIRh3xOE/edit?usp=sharing

21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Sorted to give you a sense of who has the most callups -- Dorsey, Rennicks and Stanley have 8, and Servania has 7. (Click the link above for the numbers. Also, I wouldn't read too much into the specific numbers since there are reasons guys might not have been included more or less -- health, availability, etc. In some cases guys below also spent time with the U19s and U20s. Also, this list misses a few 99s who got U19 callups but not U18 ones.)

Dorsey Griffin
    Rennicks Justin
    Stanley Aedan
    Servania Brandon
    Carranza Jose
    Paoli Andrew
    Pomykal Paxton
    Real Matthew
    Vom Steeg Carson
    Zarris Aristotle
    Brewer Jr. Shaft
    Gruno Kyle
    Jones Daniel
    Maher Jack
    Uribe Angel
    Abdi Faris
    Aguilera Jr. Raul
    Alfaro Jr. Jose
    Espinoza Ernesto
    Gonzalez Jonathan
    Lopez Eric
    McKenzie Mark
    Muse Trey
    Perez Emmanuel
    Scott Brady
    Taitague Nick
    Bulut Arda
    Perry Nebiyou
    Tomozawa Kei
    Belloni Urso Paolo
    Cappis Christian
    Carr Koby
    Davis Gideon
    Del Rosario Lucas
    Douglas Cameron
    Esparza Jonathan
    Fetterly James
    Fontana Anthony
    Hanson Harold
    Inalien Will
    McMaster Justin
    Morris Jake
    Perez Alfred
    Perez Bryan
    Russell Stirling
    Smir Alec
    Adams Tyler
    Alvarenga Alberto
    Anton Cory
    Austin Brandon
    Burnett Joshua
    De Sota Rhys
    Evans Brecc
    Eves McKay
    Fernandez Omir
    Filipe Jonathan
    Grey Christopher
    Haig Landen
    Heller Bailey
    Katsiyiannis Thomas
    Lopez Leonardo
    Marcu Damen
    Marquez-Ramirez Leonardo
    Mendoza Glademir
    Milesi Alessandro
    Morrison Andrew
    Pergjini Nicholas
    Rogers Samual
    Rosario Gabe
    Salas Mark
    Shigenobu Kazuyoshi
    Steibel Seth
    Stretch Callum
    Sundquist Cody
    Takaki Christian
    Toribio Noah
    Torres Juan
    Tracey Gregory
    Vedamanikam Alex
    Verhoven Noah
    Virgen Erik
    Wright Hanif

ielag and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Perhaps interestingly, both Dorsey and Rennicks are listed as freshmen on Indiana's fall roster. (So are Trey Muse and '98 Mason Toye.) That, I guess, puts them on the Ebobisse plan, in that they would have a college season under their belts before the next U20 cycle even really starts. It's a young roster as currently assembled, so there will presumably be minutes available in attack.

23. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ebobisse was a freshman in 2014. 99s on the Ebobisse Plan would be rising sophomores.

24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Blarg. Well, scratch that genius observation.

25. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    Ebobisse IIRC was able to skip his senior year of high school (or he was just already ahead by a grade) and enroll in college early. That is never likely to be an option for more than a tiny percentage of players.