The first XI: An unofficial sneak peek at the 2019 U20s

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    While I understand the silliness of starting a 2019 U20 thread now, something perhaps-interesting occurred to me: With the latest round of U19 callups, U.S. Soccer has called up 11 guys eligible for the next U20 cycle (10 '99s and one '00) through the current U19 and U20 programs:

Adams Tyler*
    Espinoza Ernesto
    Gonzalez Jonathan*
    Haji Abdulkadir
    Iloski Milan
    Lopez Leo*
    Morris Jake*
    Pomykal Paxton
    Sargent Joshua*
    Scott Brady*
    Taitague Nick*
    * U20 callup. The rest are U19 only.

Even without the U19s, that's a surprising number -- Ramos has called in 7 guys (6 '99s and Sargent), more than any other cycle he's coached, before qualifying. He called up 4 in all of the 2015 cycle, and only 2 in the 2013 cycle.

Some of these guys appear poised to contribute this cycle -- Adams, Gonzalez, Scott and Taitague are seemingly in the qualifying mix. Of course, they might also disappear off the face of the planet tomorrow -- who knows...

2. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obligatory:

This is definitely going to be the BEST cycle ever.

3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if it's not, American soccer is, truly, going to be at a crossroads.

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I'm still stuck at the last one.

Winoman, tippco333, ielag and 2 others repped this.
  5. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Foreign-based '99s and '00s with a previous USYNT callup who could figure in this cycle, arranged by birthdate:
    GK: C.J. Dos Santos (Benfica)
    DF: Kyle Gruno (Leicester City), Angel Uribe (Tijuana), J.J. Foe Nuphaus (Hoffenheim), Sergino Dest (Ajax)
    MF: Paolo Urso (Genoa), Nick Taitague (Schalke), Jonathan Gonzalez (Monterrey), Nicholas Pergjini (Troyes), Callum Stretch (Aston Villa), Ben Lederman (Barcelona)
    FW: Leonardo Marquez-Ramirez (Leon), Ernesto Espinoza (Tijuana), Nebiyou Perry (AIK), Corey Anton (Kaiserslautern), Cody Sundquist (Fiorentina), Nicolas Garcia-Morillo (Atletico Madrid), Timothy Weah (PSG)

TheFalseNine, Gacm32, Patrick167 and 2 others repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #6 ussoccer97531, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    I know you are kidding, but I think some might actually think so (because someone always says it), and I wanted to inject a serious take on this.

I don't agree. I think the previous cycle was better. The 00's are pretty good, and maybe not far off the 98's, but I think the 99's are way worse than the 97's.

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not bad, probably better than the 2015 cycle, but not as good as the 2017 cycle.

GK: Scott, Lopez, Garces
    Defenders: Zarris, Uribe, Gloster, Morris, Gruno, Shaver
    Midfielders: Durkin, Adams, Goslin, Gonzalez, Carleton, Taitague, Pomykal, Carranza
    Forwards: Weah, del Rosario, Ferreira, Sargent

Scott
    Adams-Shaver-Morris-Gloster
    Durkin-Goslin
    Pomykal
    Taitague-Ferreira-Carleton

8. uclajames

uclajames Member

Jul 23, 2004
    LA
    Bump for those curious about the next cycle

9. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Pieces are in play to have a great attacking lineup. Pomykal, Ferreira, Nick T, Sargent, Carleton....wow. It might be the same as this cycle where the players might not be realeased, but the depth is solid.

Not sure how things are looking on the centerback front, but the attacking talent is top notch stuff

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Early thoughts. I'll do a comprehensive preview soon.

This cycle is not as talented as the 2017 cycle, but its very talented, probably the second most talented cycle we will have after 2017. '00 will probably carry this cycle, '99 looks very weak, IMO. Depth is mostly in attacking positions. Attacking mid and #6 look great. FB's GK's, #9's look good. CB looks weak as does #8. Our talent is concentrated more in MLS than Europe so far, which should be good news for getting these players released, although that could obviously change.

GK: Scott, Garces, Lopez
    Defenders: Gloster, Morris, Zarris, Lindsey, Arteaga, Shaver
    Midfielders: Durkin, Sands, Adams, Gonzalez, Carleton, Pomykal, Taitague, Carranza
    Forwards: Sargent, del Rosario, Weah, Ferreira

Scott
    Zarris-Sands-Shaver-Gloster
    Durkin-Adams
    Pomykal
    Taitague-Sargent-Carleton

11. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious to see the impact that the USL has on this cycle. The MLS clubs who have USL teams have had a few years to sort out exactly how they want to run their teams and there are an increasing number of young players who are getting opportunities to play in the league.

In 2015, 97s and 98s played 6,503 minutes in the USL by my count. In 2017, 99s and 00s have already played 4,449. Through better recruiting and increased integration with academies leading to USL opportunities, perhaps more players who formerly would be "late bloomers" by U20 standards or would be off the radar will accelerate their development and contribute to the cycle.

12. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Sam Rogers is the one that immediately comes to mind.

13. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Sargent + 6 other attacking players that are way better than anyone on this team. I mean they are already better. Good keepers. Not a bad start.

14. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    I agree that the attacking talent looks a lot better than the current u-20s, but would that be the case if we still had Akale, Perez, Wright, et al? The defense looks unquestionably weaker, but sometimes you'll get a late developing CB. The truth is the team that goes to the 2019 U20 CONCACAF Championships/World Cup will probably look very different than whatever ideal team we can dream up now.

15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Ferreira, Pomykal, Carleton are home based. Reyna might get into conversation as well. Better coach would have Perez and Akale on 2017 team.

Patrick167 repped this.
  16. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If Tab is the coach again he will leave Carleton out. There is no way Andrew fits into what Tab is trying to accomplish at Stoke. I mean the U-20 national team

Patrick167 and Midas Mulligan repped this.
  17. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    Mark McKenzie ('99 CB) is also getting a lot of starts recently for Bethlehem Steel. He is listed at 5'11", which is a bit undersized but not as much so as Uribe, who I expect will fade and receive fewer and fewer call-ups as the cycle progresses.

Tom Collingsworth and ielag repped this.
  18. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    Another element is identifying and recruiting dual nationals, especially at weaker positions. For instance, the fullback options may look decent now compared to a lot of past cycles, but if the past is any indication, a player or two who grew up in Europe could still be a huge boost if there is anyone good enough who can be persuaded.

Tom Collingsworth and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #19 Clint Eastwood, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    I think its a great pool to start with.................................although question marks in defense. I mean, we already have midfielders that have broken thru to MLS first team appearances in Adams, Durkin, and Pomykol. Carleton and Ferreira have now already debuted as well.

Our "front 6" there that @ussoccer97531 posted above is REALLY strong. So strong that one wonders how many will actually be available two years from now.

Carleton and Ferreira may in fact be in direct competition with each other. Carleton seems like he's settled down as a right winger. My guess is that's where Ferreira is going to be as well (although I'm not sure FCD has settled on this yet).

There's some work to be done on the backline, but there's always work to be done on the backline. This most recent cycle was an outlier in terms of having a couple of high-level CBs (CCV, EPB, etc.) identified early.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I know what you're getting at, but this cycle was actually unusual in the sense that Ramos didn't call up even one defender who would be eligible for the next cycle.

Last cycle, of course, CCV, EPB and Redding all got looks -- two of them made the Finals squad. The cycle before that, Acosta (understanding that he wears many hats) was called in and made the Finals squad. Before that, Ambrose and Brooks. Before that, Boss, Birnbaum, Garza...

There may be any number of reasons for this, but one hopes precocious defenders are not a requirement for success.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Durkin hasn't actually debuted in MLS, only the Open Cup.

But I disagree that this past cycle was an outlier at CB due to CCV and EPB. They were outliers, but Glad and Redding weren't outliers, they were good CB's. Miazga wasn't an outlier two years previous, either, he was a good CB. All those players were signed to MLS contracts during the U-20 WC the cycle before their's, and they all either debuted a little before that U-20 WC a cycle before their's, during the U-20 WC or a few months after. Who's on the horizon now? I think its a lower quality of CB, IMO. Precedent tells us that whoever that CB is should be on the verge of a first team debut.

Its more unlikely is going to come along a year from now, and be getting regular minutes in MLS a year after that. It takes some time to build your way up through an MLS first team, especially at CB. Sure, its early, we were worrying about CB for the 2015 cycle, and we ended up doing very well at that position for the cycle. But it might not be three or four conventional names. It might be the next EPB or CCV who's a year or two younger. That obvious name in the '99 doesn't seem to be there yet. '00 has a few options, lets see if any emerge within the next year.

22. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jake Morris '99 is a defender, but that's just picking nits as he obviously was fringe unlike CCV and EPB in the 2015 cycle.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Fair. I thought about mentioning him, actually, but I wasn't 100% certain -- he also plays midfield for his club, I think, though I know U.S. Soccer listed him as a defender.

24. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to be excited about the attacking players. Hopefully the defense comes around but will worry about that later

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  25. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The 97 98 class is the best group of attacking prospects in US history.... look at what Tab gave us.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.