The First Coaching Casualty of 2017: Cassar Out at RSL

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Knave, Mar 20, 2017.

1. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sven-Gorann Eriksson in MLS?

2. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would he be an upgrade over either Collen Warner or Rasmus Schuller? :)

The Franchise repped this.
  3. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably, but is that the best way to spend money in Minnesota? On the plus side, it comes off the books at the end of the year.

4. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I take it you missed Schuller's brain cramp last Saturday at DSG. And the guy gets a call up from Finland anyway. :)

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Don't see Clavijo being lured into that kind of role.

If RSL want to go with the "next Oscar Pareja" it could be FCD academy coach/director Luchi Gonzalez. Amazing track record at the academy level and may be ready for the "next step."

6. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  7. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    In other news, I am also declining to pursue the RSL opportunity.

Bluecat82, Bill Archer, TOAzer and 4 others repped this.
  9. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    looks like news has gotten out that it's behind the scenes chaos at RSL--not too many people wanting to be in a situation like that,

10. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Fire fans looking enviously at what was essentially the Chicago Fire if Hauptman didn't buy the team.

11. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That seems like a reach. We have one report of Chris Armas declining to pursue the opportunity - an opportunity that we have no way of knowing whether he was even qualified or ready for - and you you are extrapolating that to mean that there is "behind the scenes chaos"? I'd love to hear your reasoning or read the additional links you might provide that would back up your wildly overreactive assertion.

Allez RSL repped this.
  12. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i hope the vancouver whitecaps follow the lead of RSL- unfortunately, the stupid, disengaged ownership group doesnt give a crap and instead gave our head coach and his crew a 4 year contract to repeat a winning record hitting at 46% and this year is beginning to look even worse

robinson also continues to flog a 1 striker formation with the scoring talented, freddy montero, being left alone to fight for the lofted balls, and a MF that arguably is the weakest in MLS- the supporters are beginning to stay away due to a sleeping illness during the games

mike petke seems the logical choice as RSL new head coach

13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always gotten the vibe that it would be particularly unpleasant to work for Dell Loy Hansen.

14. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, however, would like to remain under consideration

profiled repped this.
  15. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Firing a guy 3 games into the season is indicative of chaos and an ownership that doesn't know what the heck it wants. If they didn't want Cassar around ( a perfectly legitimate position to take) then they should've fired him after last season in order to give the team a chance to find someone all offseason long. Not only that but letting the guy who made you into a good team walk (Kreis) without making a true competitive offer to retain him also smacks of ownership that doesn't have a clue. Hopefully RSL wont flout around aimlessly for the rest of the season.Worst thing that could happen right now is neutering the poor sap that is going ot have to clean up this mess and immediately de-legitimizing him by calling him "interim coach"--- yet we know that is exactly what will happen because it seems this move was made without much planning.

16. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's speculation that it reflects a split between owner and GM: one (Hansen) wanted to keep the coach, but somewhat relented to more negative voices and said Cassar would have a short leash.

With seven losses and three scoreless draws in the last ten competitive matches, Cassar had reached the end of his line. There's just no way to justify keeping a coach under such circumstances. Even after some significant offseason roster changes at his behest, the players were still not interested in performing for Cassar.

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

18. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This to me is the most ridiculous part of all this. You've got a coach in your organization who has shown that he can put together a team in MLS that'll kick serious ass, and you're farting around looking at someone else outside the organization.

tigersoccer2005 repped this.
  19. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the pay's good, I could be talked into the opportunity to make history*.

* 1999 MetroStars, you could get wiped from the MLS record books!

profiled repped this.
  20. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To me this is another clue that there is some kind of situation happening behind the scenes at this club. I supposed it's even possible that if offered the job Petke might not even take it if he felt he did not have support from up top. It has to suck to be a coach and have to deal with the uncertainty of trying to figure out who is in charge in the front office.

A split between GM and Owner is never a good thing--was a disagreement over firing Cassar just limited to that or is there a deeper rift over the hiring of a new coach that will play itself out over months?

21. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I have no real thoughts on the firing - but if you were willing to pull the plug on a guy after 3 games, the change should have been made in the offseason. That's just terrible stuff from the organization.

22. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    #72 Len, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    I just hope this all gets sorted out before it affects the club off-field. Salt Lake has always seemed to be a solid franchise with a great, dedicated fan base. Unlike a few other clubs, when RSL announces an attendance number (usually around 20K) - it looks like it. I'd just hate to see that passion for the club killed through stupidity or some petty rift between egos in an office.

Ismitje and looknohands repped this.
  23. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    FWIW, cancelled my 4 season tickets in the offseason. Taking a "wait and see" approach.

The removal of Cassar and his "boot ball" approach, i.e. defenders kick the ball to an isolated Movsisyan bypassing the midfield altogether, is a good first start. Seeing who they hire and whether that coach has enough knowledge to effectively use the players available to him would be the next positive step.

24. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I turn to the late, great Utah Phillips for a story that just might highlight how RSL will choose its next coach:

25. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    not in vancouver- we have a coaching crew led by carl robinson with a 46% winning point total over 2 1/2 years, a disasterous 2016 season, a team that is dispirited and then are rewarded with a 4 year contract!! and now we have 1/9 points for 2017