The First Coaching Casualty of 2017: Cassar Out at RSL

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Knave, Mar 20, 2017.

1. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is good news because their was really no way Cassar was going to turn this thing around. Petke is the odds on favorite to get this new gig, but somehow I wish we would look outside the box and look to bring in a younger coach who may be able to gel this younger group of talented players into a winning team.

2. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike Petke is 41, hardly old. His two seasons at the helm of New York were very successful and he was beloved by the fan base.

3. jeffclimbs

jeffclimbs Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Like MasterShake said, you pretty much just described Petke. I'd love to see what he can do at the helm.

georg repped this.
  4. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Since they didn't just put Petke in charge right now means they will probably try and look for someone. Realistically, they might not get a chance at most managers until May.

5. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. But not by much at all. The next-earliest was also at Real Salt Lake. In 2007, John Ellinger was fired just four games into the season, whereupon Jason Kreis immediately retired as a player and took the reins as head coach.

Prior to being named head coach, Kreis had played 358 of a possible 360 minutes that season, which makes it interesting that he chose to retire as a player rather than continue the season as a player-coach.

jond repped this.
  6. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The militant side of me applauds the telling of an inept person in leadership to kick rocks.

OI' Moderator is having orgasms of hope I bet.

7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Claudio, Claudio, where for art thou Claudio?

8. Mucky

Mucky Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Manchester England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    "short leash" as in noose?
    Not saying they should of stuck with him but if they had so little confidence then it may have been wiser to get a new coach in the off season and give them chance to assess the team and what was lacking?

9. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those who are not RSL supporters, who have just been watching the team occasionally, as the opponent of their own favorite, this may seem really wrong. But, Cassar's tenure has been notable by remarkably little growth in his field decisions and he'd clearly lost the respect of players last season. It didn't seem much better this season. I'll wager it eventually emerges that Beckerman didn't participate in spring training due to not wanting to hear more of Cassar's platitudes. He should have been gone after last season, making playoffs or not. We've been calling for his head for a good while.

So, this is not too soon for us RSL fans.

superdave, Gamecock14, LimeTree and 2 others repped this.
  10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah? Well what wooda happened if they missed the playoffs on freakin' GOAL DIFFERENCE? Largely due to the fact that the coach is tactically naive, has no sense of how to make in-game subs based on the situation, has a rigid "system" that he is too stubborn to adjust, even when he acquires a 20-goal scorer, and finally figures it out at the end of the season when it's really too late?

I'll tell ya what happens. the GM brings him back and says we are "on the CUSP" of winning MLS Cup! Yeah, on the cusp!

Hey did you know our coach played basset-ball at DOOOK? He knows Coach K!

11. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really need to stop repressing your feelings, let some things out, find an outlet for your frustrations. ;)

ToMhIlL repped this.
  12. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It worked for Kreis, it'll work for Beckerman.

;)

13. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of current MLS players, he's really high on my list of who could be a successful coach. He plays a position that requires knowing what everyone should be doing. He has experience as a captain, and expects everyone to be their best, starting with himself. He gets along with people who make a lot more than him, and those who make a lot less.

But the age of player to head coach should be over. Whenever he's hurt, I want him in coaching meetings whenever possible. When he retires, grab him as an assistant or give him a development team. Not the big chair, though.

The Irish Rover and BalanceUT repped this.
  14. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on the circumstances. I think player to head coach is fine if they've been an assistant coach for the last year or two of their playing career, as has happened with several players in recent years.

The Franchise repped this.
  15. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You hate to make judgments based on appearances, but the guy looked over matched. Every sideline shot of him made me feel sorry for him. Sadly, his lack of confidence was matched by his production...

By the way, some people are suggesting that because Petke wasn't' hired immediately he's not in the running. I wonder if that just isn't optics - they don't want to be accused of undermining him so they will do a round of interviews first. And then hire him

Elninho and BalanceUT repped this.
  16. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In that instance, they have time as an assistant coach already and not just a captain, so that gives them experience running training sessions, evaluating performance, making a depth chart, creating game plans, etc.

17. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsene Wenger will be available at the end of the current EPL season.

Maybe Clavijo can be lured back to coaching?

I hear Carlos de los Cobos is available.

18. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering their next game is this weekend against his former club, maybe they'd rather wait. That would be a heck of a situation to throw him into.

19. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what was this announcement we were waiting for today? Let me guess we are playing MU?

20. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    If Clavijo is hired I would hope is first order of business would be to trade Beckerman for a draft pick and a stack of cones.

rslfanboy and JasonMa repped this.
  21. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Id settle for a six pack of caffiene free mountain dew

22. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if he has any trade value. He's somewhat overpaid based on last year's performance, and his performancethis year has been worse, likely due to a nagging injury. Unless a team badly needs a D-mid for half a season, there are no takers.

Maybe he can get an average contract next season if he wants, but that's probably it.

23. Coach Chris

Coach Chris New Member

Tampa Bay Rowdies
    United States
    Mar 22, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems that RSL are not messing around, this should send a clear message to other coaches in MLS - winning is the expectation, losing is unacceptable.

Kejsare and JayRockers! repped this.
  24. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    You're new around these parts, aintcha?

Thx,

Jay!

El Naranja, AndyMead and JasonMa repped this.
  25. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No the organization fires the coach just to give the impression that they are doing something while hiring yet another clown to replace him.

markxinger repped this.