The Fire Jim Curtin Thread [MERGED]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Handsome Pete, Jun 10, 2014.

1. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Once again, with feeling:

2. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup... still think this is true... should fire Jim today. Time to just chalk up the rest of the season as a loss.
    • Interim coach should be directed to go balls to the wall in Open Cup
    • Give young guys like Jones, Epps, Najem, Keegan, Yaro, etc, etc all the minutes they need for the rest of season in regular season games.
    • Start the coaching search for 2018 now, do NOT hire interim full time.

nhlman10, Scottj10, cwelch999 and 3 others repped this.
  3. EdBacon

EdBacon Member+

Apr 6, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I don't think they want to cut Jim loose. The new mentality seems to be "We went through several coaching changes and it didn't fix anything, so now we're going to stick by one coach and see where it takes us.".

The question is: what is the Union's new threshold for pain? Given their old time frame and expectations (which were already low) Jim would already be gone. But now they seem to think the pieces will fall into place if they just give him more time. So what will it take? Two record losing seasons in a row? Three? An empty stadium?

Not that it matters. Whoever comes next will likely prove just as ineffectual. Its not like Curtin has a stable of decent players to work with. The Union continue to be the Island of Misfit Players in MLS. We lack a solid core of starters whose talents compliment one another. as we pretty much have since day 1. There's still no overarching plan for what type of players to bring in. Stewarts player acquisition seems to be a combination of "I knew a guy in Holland" and cast offs from the depths European 3-4 division rosters.

So when you think about it maybe Stewart and Curtin are actually really comfortable together. Their combined mediocrity must be non-threatening to the both of them. At least Sak was hypocritical enough to act like everyone else around him was the problem and start chopping heads. With Stewart and Curtin running things I just feel this kind of sinking apathy. Like a case of hypothermia it starts to feel warm and relaxing at the end. People say you don't feel anything anymore, and just kind of drift off into a blissful oblivion.

Tyr and cwelch999 repped this.
  4. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with your assessment, there won't be a change because Earnie made it clear that winning doesn't matter. They are content to sit, wait and lose until the stars and planets align in some fluke accident where the Union put a winning season together. Firing Curtin whether it's warranted or not is would be a communication to the fan base that they are satisfied with the results. Earnie's threshold and tolerance is basically unbound... unless Jay grows a pair and makes a ruckus I'm convinced Stewart will sit with Jim indefinitely.

It also drives me nuts that they try to say, "well we've fired coaches before and it hasn't worked out"
    The reality is the Union haven't had an outside coaching hire since Peter Nowak in 2010.

cwelch999, buzzkiller23 and LuckyStriker repped this.
  5. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't even know why this is a discussion again. They were standing firm when it was 16 straight without a win. End of the year, earliest, before anything happens, regardless of results. And that is what's turned us all off.

cwelch999 and buzzkiller23 repped this.
  6. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just biding time until this thread surpasses the Hackworth thread....

1. [​IMG]
      Fire John Hackworth [R]
      Tyr, Jun 2, 2013

Replies:
      Views:

2. [​IMG]
      The Fire Jim Curtin Thread [MERGED]
      Handsome Pete, Jun 10, 2014

Replies:
      Views:

7. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Go back and read some of those Hack posts, man we were a salty bunch. I've even mellowed on Curtin since I thought Earnie would ax him in the off season. I'm just down for the mediocrity. They've numbed me into going but not really caring. Whoooooo! DOOOOPPP!

BuddhaWake repped this.
  8. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe its being realistic about where MLS is now compared to then. Hackworth should have been able to compete with the squad. Now, not so sure any coach would really do better with this group. It's a flawed squad and the league is much better.

At this point, I see how they try to play, see that there's a semblance of a plan, they execute ok, but get killed by some sort of mistake or are exposed by a talent defeciency in a key spot. On top of that, we have a target forward who simply cannot buy a decision making it even tougher to take advantage of a pretty good free kick taker.

Before anyone thinks I'm getting soft, it's really an indictment of the squad that's been constructed. I either have to view this as a work in progress or as the way it's going to be. Not sure where I stand on that right now.

9. Scottj10

Scottj10 Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There goes plans A, B, and C from the unions playbook...

10. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless of course, plan A............is BC.

celt1997 and Scottj10 repped this.
  11. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, for the good old days of negative rep.

ScottyMac26 and buzzkiller23 repped this.
  12. lopezzzz

lopezzzz Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    D.C. won... Union is officially bottom of the east.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  13. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hooray the Union are now the best team in the East at sucking at footy.

BuddhaWake repped this.
  14. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least we have game(s) in hand, amiright?

[​IMG]

15. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4-7-4, sheesh that's a fair way to go just to reach the giddy heights of mediocrity.

cwelch999 repped this.
  16. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Those goal differences are utterly bizarre. 3/6 teams in playoff positions with negatives, compared to only 1/5 below playoffs.

cwelch999 repped this.
  17. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only two teams have let in fewer goals than us. Does that mean our defense is really good? Or, the other teams just don't try hard when they play us?

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  18. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Top 5 soccer crimes perpetrated by Jim Curtin in 2017. GO.

Sub-question: is it, in fact, unfair to criticize a formerly good player for his latter day coaching sins? Is it better to buy a square peg for the round holes you insist upon playing with, or fade away?

20. lopezzzz

lopezzzz Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Not 2017, but my favorite Curtin move was him saving the last sub to take Blake off for McCarthy in the Open Cup Final.

I think of that every time Jonathan Tannenwald says there's no way of knowing how good a coach Curtin could be because he lacks the resources. :p

21. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The State vs James Curtin -
    Exhibit A - Set piece defending from a former defender who states his philosophy has been to focus on defense.

B - Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, his record, inconceivable as it may be, is worse than John Hackworth's

C - His refusal, except solely through injury/suspension/call-ups, of rotating his squad. CJ has started his annual summer off program with 1 goal in his last 6 matches.

D - Tight pants. No for real, the tale of 2 halves thing. He still seems to struggle with the concept of coaching a full 90 minute match. Late game letdowns are a tradition here now.

E - Chance creation is abysmal. The U don't have anyone in the top 40 players for shots. You can't win if you don't score. You can't score if you don't shoot. He seems to not work on this.

22. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JT, the world's biggest Curtin apologist?

BuddhaWake, UnionDues and lopezzzz repped this.
  23. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure tha title goes to ES at this point.

24. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It bugs the crap out of me how Curtin is so scared to take risks. Ilsinho and Alberg are terrible? Give Najem a ********ing shot. Can he be any worse?

lopezzzz and cwelch999 repped this.
  25. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can definitely be worse, but at this point I'd give it a go just in case he isn't.

BuddhaWake, UnionDues, EdBacon and 2 others repped this.