The Fire Earnie Stewart Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Tyr, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Ascalz

Ascalz BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of my greatest criticisms of MLS' format is how the playoffs just frigging DRAG on forever. Not to mention that when your team is pretty much eliminated from playoff contention weeks (or in the Union's case, months) before the playoffs it leads to fatigue and a lack of connection.

I only watched the last 7 minutes or so of the MLS Cup final. I had little interest in seeing two teams with ownership that is willing to spend money duke it out. I saw Toronto win the game and my wife and I both felt sad because it just further drove home the fact that unless there is a change in ownership the Union are somehow hoping that they can cheap their way to relevance or a title.

Handsome Pete, cwelch999 and lopezzzz repped this.
  2. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^ I watched a couple of them. They were good games. It is still a good sport even if the Union aren't playing. The buildup on Toronto's first goal was superb.

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  3. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't this the case for ALL of the major sports in our country and their playoff formats though?

The NBA and NHL play 80+ games a season, and then head into a nearly TWO month long playoffs!!! MLS' playoffs last a month. They only drag on because of a FIFA money grab week. If MLS would play through that week (The NASL did, lol) then the playoffs would have ended two weeks ago.

Hell Baseball plays 162 games!!!! Then a month+ long playoff format. And let's face it, most teams are realistically out of playoff contention by the All Star Break.

It's the same for each league in this country.

4. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It's not the same though. The other leagues have games consistently going on in their playoffs. There were 11 gamedays in the span of like 50 actual days. There were two weeks off for FIFA breaks. two weeks with nothing happening. There's waaaaay too much time with no games.

5. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    #155 PhillyMLS, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2017
    Yeah, but when they played during those breaks people freaked out. So to get around that they need to finish the season sooner. Then everyone freaks out because they play on more international dates during the season. Or because there are too many weekday games. Or that they are playing games when it is too cold out. Basically no matter what you are going to have a large group of fans (or "people that would be fans if MLS stopped being [insert excuse here]) complain.

Don't worry, we'll nail it with our second round pick. Oh wait. We traded that for Adam Najem. Guess I'll just watch the Superdraft from home then.

6. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    There’s got to be a middle ground. “Too many weekday” games, what would really be added? 3? 5? If they whacked the last month of four games and sprinkled that before the USOC it’s like 1.5 midweekers per month to start the season.

Lemme guess....Widener University?

cwelch999 repped this.
  7. Ascalz

Ascalz BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So apparently MLS transfers tweeted that Stewart "wasn't so thrilled" with the Union job over the summer. So...yeah he could just leave of his own accord.

8. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Who would be happy with this job? It's def bottom tier of a mid tier league

BuddhaWake, aequitas, drewuke and 3 others repped this.
  9. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, this gem:

10. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I passionately hate treking down to chester mid-week.

jaykoz3, Union42 and Phillyspur repped this.
  11. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luckily you probably won't have to worry about the Union making the playoffs.

Union42, drewuke, lopezzzz and 1 other person repped this.
  12. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    He knew what the job was coming in. He was the one that said it would be a challenge and made it seem like his experience with smaller budget clubs would make him suitable for this job. Anything he says right now about not being happy or wanting out is only, to me, to cover his own failings here. For someone with his rep before coming here he has been a huge disappointment.

Ignore the "he doesn't have money for good players" argument. His TAM signings have been Alberg, Ilsinho, Simpson, and Medunjanin. Columbus' TAM signing are Ola Kamara, Justin Meram, Gaston Suaro, and Wil Trapp. Suaro was out for the year with an injury so he provided no minutes or stats. However, their other 3 players managed 8490 minutes, 31 goals, and 15 assists. Our 4 managed 6248 minutes, 16 goals, and 18 assists (half those minutes and two thirds of the assists are one player). He has not been impressive with his signings for the most part and his trading has verged on disastrous (Charlie Davies for GAM, TAM, AND a first round pick!?!?).

This off-season is make or break for him. If he can't come up with a couple signings that 1) look like long term investments and 2) actually pan out then it is probably time for him to move along. If after 3 years the team you have in MLS is still achieving the same things then it is you that is probably the problem.

13. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another case of a European management type underestimating MLS?

Supports my suspicion that salary-budgeted soccer leagues have seemingly poor quality of play because of the lack of tactical options in the sport. Even if that budget were $60 million.

14. djramone

djramone Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sugarman should be calling Ali Curtis right now.

15. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh, RBNY sloppy seconds.

He should be calling True Lies-era Jamie Lee Curtis.

16. lopezzzz

lopezzzz Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Every other team: Let’s market our stars and sell our fans on winning a trophy!

Union: Let’s use our GM and let him say we stink and won’t win anything.

17. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, one of the few times the Union really used one of their players to push Season Ticket sales, the guy never actually came back to play a match.

Not surprised they were scared off of that tactic.

18. lopezzzz

lopezzzz Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    And he sucked.

celt1997 repped this.
  19. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The players stink, the coach stinks, the GM stinks, the owner stinks.

Your 2018 Philadelphia Union

20. cwelch999

cwelch999 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the rub, isn't it? The kind of talented coach or GM who might be able to overcome the inherent challenges of this organization is the kind of talent who has better options, right?

I'm not sure I follow. Can you elaborate on that?

21. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a suspicion that if one set up a, for example, Euro superleague with a salary budget system like MLS but obviously much higher, and these teams played each other 3 - 4 times a year, and were otherwise being scouted playing only high level opponents, then there would be a lot of seemingly dull play. Everyone would know everyone else's tendencies and plan accordingly.

Sure these teams may play each other twice in a Champions League tournament, but that's more of a one-off event.

The implication is that the quality of play in MLS is seemingly low because of parity.

cwelch999 repped this.
  22. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that you are correct. Serie A was terribly boring in the early 90s and I think the quality of the teams played into that.

23. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    What has Earnie done in the last 2+ years that has been significantly good? Am I missing something? Would I even notice he took another job?

24. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a low bar to step over, but he has been an improvement over Sak. If nothing else, we have had the same starting GK for Stewart's entire tenure.

25. lopezzzz

lopezzzz Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Poochie is needed on his home planet

Handsome Pete and buzzkiller23 repped this.