The Fire Earnie Stewart Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Tyr, Apr 1, 2017.

1. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nogs was actually scouted by Brendan Burke............

2. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who was a Sak guy. :eek:

3. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough, but his permanent removal only further burdened the limited depth of the squad, which only gets more challenged as a season wears on.

4. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every time I see a poor pass or reception, I think that our problem is not formation. There needs to be a focus on the basics. We should be able to string five or more passes together many times during a match. I do not track it but would be surprised if we hit five passes more than three times in any match. Until they can do this, the formation is irrelevant.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  5. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earnie gave a good interview for the Philly Soccer Show podcast. More of the same, but it was articulated well and you can logically see where he's coming from.

I will say it's unfortunate that after the interview the hosts admitted to being afraid to ask him more challenging questions submitted by PSP readers because they were scared Earnie wouldn't take kindly to it.....

6. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Very strange to publicly announce that you're failing to fulfill the basic requirements of the job. Access is overrated if you're too scared to ask any relevant questions.

buzzkiller23 and cwelch999 repped this.
  7. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are aware that the PSP contributors are volunteers right?

8. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they doing real journalism? Apparently not, at least in this case.

9. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With at least a modicum of professional journalism. They don't have the air of some fan-boy blog, so that should carry over to other types of media. Thing is, the KYW Philly Soccer Show is only partly related to PSP through one of the hosts.

jaykoz3 and Handsome Pete repped this.
  10. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I will admit my couple of blogs there never approached any semblance of real journalism. Didn't approach real writing either.

11. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ********ing hell this guy is an arrogant prick.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/feat...urce=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_m_medium=t

"FFT: Is making the playoffs next year a must?

ES: Must? I don't think there's anything that there's a must. It's just when I look at myself and who I am, and that's what we shoot for every single time. I want to become MLS champs. That might not be the reality and the fact of the matter, but that's what you strive for every single day.

But I don't know what the must is on that. That's how we go about business here every single day: must win the next game, and that's just the way you work as an athlete."

buzzkiller23, Handsome Pete and derek750 repped this.
  13. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a ********ing embarrassment.

buzzkiller23 and Handsome Pete repped this.
  14. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the embarrassment? The man just said that the goal is to win MLS Cup....isn't that what the fans want to hear???? He said they're mentality is that they must win the next game....

What more do fans want??? Fans were bitchin and moaning that the FO doesn't ever say that the goal is to Win MLS Cup. The f@#$ing sporting director just stated the goal is to win MLS Cup...............and folks are still pissed..............

He tells it like it is.................they have no money, and have to do things differently.
    This is the team that we have to root for locally............this is NOT new information. This is NOT changing anytime soon it appears....bitching about this on some "Fetid pile of crap Website" isn't gonna change the Union's lot in MLS....

So start buying powerball tickets so you can help @Dills with his #hostiletakeoverbitches

Cherry Hill SOB, aztec21bas and Dills repped this.
  15. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #140 thomas19064, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    He says “we want to win MLS cup” the same way Dills says he wants to win the Powerball and buy the team... its still not happening no matter how bad we wish it. Earnie says it because he’s obligated to say it, he doesn’t give a damn if they win or not, there is ZERO urgency. it’s all empty lip service with immediate backpedaling and crying poor...

he says we’re years away even being a contender, let alone winning the thing... that should NEVER be the case in MLS...he also continues to blindly stands by Curtin without giving any legitimate merit based reason as to why.

All Earnie does is set the bar low and lower expectations so when they finish in 8th place instead of dead ********ing last it will look like a success, it’s all spin and all BS.

Sure, it all trickles up to Jay as the primary issue, but between him, Jim and Earnie it’s a holy trinity of suck.

16. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh ye of little faith.

thomas19064 repped this.
  17. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we root for a team that does not even hope to compete.

18. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Tagline potential here.

19. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [​IMG]

Maybe I don't care enough to be mad any more. It's nothing new from ES and I've already worked out my frustration over his "I just got here" attitude.

It would be nice if there was some recognition that we need to get better. He sat through those performances last year and he must know that many of them were the proverbial fetid pile of crap. Without throwing anyone under the bus he could acknowledge that.

cwelch999 and thomas19064 repped this.
  20. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    If you watch the state of the union interview, he basically said winning an MLS Cup is their ambition, but goals are different than ambitions. He inferred that MLS Cup isn't their goal, and that their goals are set lower than that.

21. Ascalz

Ascalz BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #146 Ascalz, Dec 9, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Honestly I'm so exhausted supporting this team. What in the hell am I supposed to look forward to for this upcoming season? When the GM of my team says this,

"I'd say we're years away from [competing for a title]. We're a development club, we're making sure that we give those talents that we have, we give them the chance to flourish. They need minutes, valuable minutes."

First of all the Union consistently fail to play young players, Keegan Rosenberry was benched in favor of Ray Gaddis. Look, I like Ray, Ray is a very nice guy. However, we know what Gaddis is and what he is not. He is at best a spot backup in MLS. Nothing wrong with that, guys like Gaddis round out your team. However, its pretty damning of your team's youth structure if Rosenberry somehow fails to "beat" out Gaddis in practice.

And of course this gem.

"You know, we are who we are, so we're not going to be that club that goes out and spends all kinds of money, so we have to do it in a different way, and from 2015 to where we are now, I would say there's been improvement."

What goddamn improvement are we talking about Earnie? Your team finished with the exact same number of points this season as last.

I'm already seeing reports of other MLS teams already starting to make moves this offseason. Atlanta who already had a hell of a team is talking about smashing the MLS transfer record for an 18 year old Argentinian playmaker. They've also already signed a defender.

What have the Union done? Oh right, jack shit. We traded our 1st round draft pick for a player that saw a grand total of 35 goddamn minutes this season.

Beautiful. Amazing. Truly wonderful moves there.

I renewed my season tickets for 2018, it was pretty much a game time decision as I was on the fence and my wife convinced me for at least one more year. A few weeks ago my debit card was compromised and I had to get a new one, my Union payment didn't come out and I very seriously considered calling them up and saying, "Look, I'm not requesting a refund just take the money I already paid and cancel my renewal."

I was at Lincoln Financial Field in 2010 for the home opener, I got season tickets in 2011, I've sat through terrible performances and bad weather. I am NOT some fair weather fan, I'm just getting mentally exhausted by this team consistently playing like garbage and ownership being totally fine with it and trying to sell it to me as though it's "improvement."

Maybe as the season approaches I'll be more enthusiastic, but right now I'm pretty much wishing that if Columbus moves to Austin and Sugarman moves the team to Columbus.

cwelch999, billf, Tyr and 8 others repped this.
  22. lopezzzz

lopezzzz Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Honestly, I’m only looking forward to Sugarman’s next open letter.

23. EdBacon

EdBacon Member+

Apr 6, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    All their mail gets caught in my spam filters anyway. The FO can suck it.

I'll spend money on them when they find an owner who can spend money for the fans.

At this point I'm not watching with the hope of some new beginning each season. I'm watching with a perverse kind of fascination to see how mangled this train wreck can get before it ends.

24. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Speaks volumes that we not only feel disconnected from this team, but the league as a whole

buzzkiller23, EdBacon and Handsome Pete repped this.
  25. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Whoa there fellas, did we quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Heck no we didn’t!

You all just need a little inspiration

CITY&UNION, OwlSaver, EdBacon and 3 others repped this.