The Fire Earnie Stewart Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Tyr, Apr 1, 2017.

1. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe we just have the holy trinity of suck... Sugarman, Stewart and Curtin.

2. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'm having trouble finding the exact podcast/video/article where Earnie recently said this, but when asked what the club's ambition is he said (as he's said before) "developing players for the united states national team" with zero mention of being a winning team....what if they've honestly stopped caring about winning?

3. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    When did they ever care?

CREN, stammer, gettysburg11 and 3 others repped this.
  4. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    #79 CITY&UNION, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    This article is full of garbage swaying me more towards the "Fire Earnie" camp than I've been before

http://www.delcotimes.com/sports/20...t-remains-in-the-approach-by-jim-curtin-union

“I stand here today and say that our group today is better than it was last year,” Stewart told the Daily Times Tuesday. “Simple as that. But it doesn’t necessarily mean that the results are the same.”

I guess he's right. We have 2 points out of the last 6 to start this season but last season we ended with 1 point out of the last 6.

The real answer to why the results aren't the same is even if we improve ourselves, if the league improves significantly more than us, then we get worse relative to the league.

"What you look for in a coach and a coaching staff is to follow what we’ve been doing all year the exact same way. Not panicking, like talking about all kinds of changes here, there, because usually that will only add to the chaos. That’s my experience in everything.”

When what you've been doing hasn't worked in 8 months, it's time to change.

Synching the chemistry and form requires time and tinkering, from players and coaches.

Everyone else seems to have adapted their squads a lot faster than we've managed.

Stewart acknowledges that the Union lack players like “the Chelseas and the Man Uniteds where you have players for $100 million or $50 million that can adapt to any style at any moment on any given day.”

So our players are stupid and can't handle more than one system.

“I don’t believe in change (just) to change,” Stewart said. “I don’t believe that. It does not help players.”

Right so let's keep what we've been doing for the last 8 months because that clearly helps the players succeed.

“What we looked for last Friday, in combination with the coaching staff, is that no matter what happens in this game, we dare to make mistakes, we believe in each other, we trust in each other,”

Motion to change the tagline to: "We're not necessarily looking for good players. We dare to make mistakes"

Also this peak and valley nonsense that he's spewing...this isn't a valley, it's Death Valley if Death Valley was a plateau.

CREN, OwlSaver, CyphaPSU and 7 others repped this.
  5. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #80 LuckyStriker, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017

so....to dare is to dumpster fire?

I have a theme too. I've mentioned it before. Make sure your Christmas tree is flame retardant before you put it up.

I've no soccer IQ on the order of Adu- but if I can see U lack the players to fit the scheme on the top level so can your opponents. Now; there's a theme many could get behind.

I'm also not afraid to make mistakes either. The board can shoot me down at will, but I'll put it out there anyway.

Not a long-term advocation by any means, but do you want to stabilize and stop the slide?

Bucket 4-4-2:

Blake
    Marquez/Trusty
    Gaddis/Alves
    Jones & Bedoya in the hole
    Epps( I know he's not ready, but U haven't given me a choice) / Gout or g'out

Here's where I'm open to suggestions........
    2 forwards, so start with Simpson & Herbers. I don't know how Jay translates to the league if he has help, but I'm pretty confident Fabian is a hardworking forward. I know he'll put in the work-so why not let him try in a position on the field where he actually be able to do the most good?

I completely agree we don't have any "givens' at the present time. What they do have is a lot of options !

Pontius-he's the same guy he was last year, difference is Barnetta and Nogs aren't around to supply.
    Alberg
    Davies- .........we're still paying him, just not playing him-correct?
    Cory Burke, Brendan Burke Doris Burke- don't care.
    Seku Conneh, Harry Connick Jr. Whatever ya' got I'm open to it.

Thesis:
    Gaddis @ RB gives Rosenberry time to clear his head. Aside from accidently saving a goal in the opener he's been atrocious. This look allows Ray to play to his strengths and doesn't require him to be overactive in the offensive end. Trusty gives me a left footed option in the back who has the size/mobility to defend-as well as moving the club to its future look. There's rumblings that Elliott's long-term future is further up the field, keep him the 18 until it sorts out one way or the other.

Jones can work as a stopper and allow Bedoya to play facing enemy attackers. He can advance it and fill-and if Edu ever makes it back he can do what he wants and make it possible for Ale to move to RW, thereby sending the USF kid back down in time for further seasoning.

Speed added to the wings, with 2 available to selectively press and attack with freedom and space on the counter.

Void of a true CAM, see if U can find any chemistry among any 2 in the front and ride it as long as the forwards can work together.

Elastico Man and Sap are out. In CJ's case the fault lies more with the org. failing to supply the tinsel and ornaments-but the fact remains he has no chance to star up top without service-and this group can't consistently supply it. Sit deep and absorb, then counter with speed and (hopefully) better chemistry. Protect a shaky back 4 that has lost confidence. Grind out some draws and frustrate foes into shock wins. You're not going anywhere at this point in the league anyway. Try something new temporarily and give me a reason to watch. Please.

Re-assess by summer.

6. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to the Philadelphia Union where there's no consequences and winning doesn't mater.

[​IMG]

CREN, stammer, BuddhaWake and 11 others repped this.
  7. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    This is an actual quote from The Guardian in 2016:
    Sony has announced that in March next year it will stop producing Betamax video cassette tapes, forty years after its introduction and 28 years after losing the war to VHS.

Assumed already dead by many, the final Betamax cassette will roll off the production line in March 2016 as its maker concedes defeat to the march of time, 20 ,maybe 30, years late.

Maybe ES still has a few Betamax tapes at home? Doesn't strike me as an early adapter.

8. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It just sounds like earnie blowing smoke like "were right on track" to save his own ass.

cwelch999, LuckyStriker and buzzkiller23 repped this.
  9. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fwiw I'm pretty sure Betamax was the industry standard for TV production, so at the very least there was a niche there...... the union aren't the standard for anything.

BuddhaWake and Handsome Pete repped this.
  10. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only ...

[​IMG]

gettysburg11 and thomas19064 repped this.
  11. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I feel like the Union are going to go on like a 6 game win steak, for no reason other than to spite us.

12. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't you hear, they are JUST like the 2016 Seattle Sounders ...

BuddhaWake and CITY&UNION repped this.
  13. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Union can spite me all they want if it means they are winning.

14. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Except for the firing of the coach part

15. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and the signing of a high priced, game changing playmaker from South America............

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  16. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... and inventing anything and everything even remotely associated with soccer in North America.

jaykoz3, CITY&UNION and buzzkiller23 repped this.
  17. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not in the fire-Earnie-camp, but this comment is a bit of a straw man. Chelsea and Man Utd do not play in MLS, and nobody is drawing comparisons between them and the Union's roster and complaining about the large gulf in class they see there. Here's a revelation, the Union plays against RBNY, TFC, NYCFC, Sounders FC, LA Galaxy, Atlanta Utd, etc.

The concern people have about the Union's roster is not that it doesn't compare well to top-ten global brands, but rather there exists an actual gulf in class between the Union and several other MLS teams who distinctly seem to be able to find a better balance of talent (DP or not!) throughout a starting XI. The Union consistently has this problem, to varying degrees, year-after-year. This, obviously, is one of the glaring factors in the Union's lack of success overall on the pitch, and that is what has fans like me concerned about the progress trajectory of the club.

18. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The concern this poster has with the Union's roster is that Mgt. consistently fails to bring in proper pieces to fit the system they insist on playing.

Much like asking your mechanic to do a tune-up and finding out all he did was change the muffler miles down the road.........

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  19. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The real kicker is the lack of formation change to fit the players you have after failing to bring in the right players. Literally a square peg in a round hole.

20. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tomato, tomahtoe.

21. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just wanted to circle back to this quote. In what way is this group better than last year? Locker room dynamics and camaraderie? Because, in any other metric observable by the fans, this proposition sounds the opposite of the truth. Less points, more players playing in unnatural positions, less attacking midfield talent. I really do like Earnie, but this is a Sak-ish statement.

22. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rep for the use of the Jamie Redknapp 'literally'.

23. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

LuckyStriker repped this.
  24. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get mine from Massachusetts.

25. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earnie can say whatever nice things he wants about the academy or team synergy, but this jackass had the opportunity to fix this team in the offseason and completely ignored all of our biggest needs. Even Sak didn't give us a 16 game winless streak. His tenure has been an absolute disaster.

Knowing Earnie, he will try to fix things by signing a Latvian 5th division player with TAM as part of his moneyball strategy.

buzzkiller23, aequitas, stammer and 2 others repped this.