The Final VARdict

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by celito, Jul 13, 2018.

1. gallis1

gallis1 Member

Sep 23, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    VAR should be used post-game to review dives. If it was a dive, that player is out of the next game. If that player's team does not have another game, maybe they are out of their next league game. Something needs to be done about the diving!

2. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    From what I understand, they can use slow motion to determine if, where and when there was contact, but they shouldn't use it to determine intent.
    The biggest example is the handball by Perisic in the final. In real time, it is completely natural for his arm to come down the way it did, and everything happened too fast to tell if it was intentional. In slow motion, it looks like he knows where the ball is and purposely tries to deflect it (camera angles not being from Perisic's point of view add to this effect). The fact that the ref kept looking at the slow motion replay means he might have been breaking protocol, and overruled his original decision despite not being sure about it.

Mifek repped this.
  3. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Since they already call back goals for minor offside infractions, I would have no problem with them calling back a free kick or corner kick goal if they found out the kick was wrongly awarded. We've recently seen the Europa league semi's and world cup final affected by wrongly awarded corners and free kicks, respectively. At the very least, they should call goals back for diving, even after they where scored. But ideally, at a big tournament the backroom team should be able to see the dive before the FK even takes place. Everyone watching TV saw it...

4. gallis1

gallis1 Member

Sep 23, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    I agree. The diver usually rolls around long enough to give people behind the scenes time to watch those replays & let the ref know if it was a dive or not. Something needs to be done.

5. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For now, VAR reviews goals, penalties, red cards, and mistaken identity, but I think its scope will expand.

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yes that’s correct. That’s something I didn’t know. Although I find hard for the ref to separate the two on his brain if he has access to the slow motion.

How do you know he was going back to watch the slow motion ?

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That’s something they will simply not do.

8. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I think it was just in my head from the articles I've read. Like this one:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-c...inal-showed-vars-fatal-flaw-on-field-referee/
    That is obvious when you watch the incident in real-time, but Pitana was shown numerous slow-motion replays. Seeing an incident in slow-motion removes any context and makes it look worse than it was.

9. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
  10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I wonder how they know ... this is the danger of passing things like these as facts.

11. Pascal F

Pascal F Member

May 30, 2018
    Biased media presenting their own opinions as facts.
    That's 2018 journalism for you, ladies and gentlemen.

12. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Can you prove whether it is a fact or not? I'm pretty sure he would have been shown numerous replays and slow motion replays. You could probably see it on TV if you looked close enough (I don't feel like watching that disgrace again). What matters anyway is whether he used those to determine intent or not. Only Pitana himself would know that. But we do know is that he was unsure enough about the decision that he took his sweet time making it, and that is the bigger issue for me. Overturning a call when you are not sure, and when several Croatian players were waiting right there to clear the ball, is just plain wrong.

13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    In this case, whoever wrote the article is the one that has to prove as they are making the initial assertion. Assuming that FIFA doesn't typically release such details, I'd be inclined to deduce that they are surely making it up.

14. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Well, do you think they don't show him any slow motion replays? We know they'd show replays and slow motion replays. And judging by the amount of time he took, it's a safe assumption that he saw several slow motion replays. So if anything, it'd be more of a natural deduction than "making it up"

15. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The real issue of VAR is about not enough "testing" before using it in the World Cup Finals. It is my understanding it has been tested in many places, but I doubted that most of the WC referees have used it before in a real game. Did the refs even have a chance to practice it in a closed-door practice matches? Even, if they have "practices", how many games? How many hours? The VAR should be in place in most leagues around the world before it goes to the biggest stage.

None of the refs have any experience of perspective of the "slow motion replays"! This is probably the first time the topic ever came up and it is the winning goal of a World Cup Final.

Overall, I love VAR.... seriously, soccer is the only major sport where technology is not used and this is the biggest sport in the world. If not VAR, some of us would be discussing for the "no penalty call" against Croatia. At least, the ref got another chance to review it. It is still incorrect to some of us... but that is still better than the ref without a second chance. I have no problem of the ref taking his time or having a second look after he walked away from the booth. The Final have been almost three days ago. We are still discussing the call even with inputs and analysis from referees, pundits, journalists, ex-players, etc. The world is still spitted with the decision. So how can anything make conclusive decision within seconds after it happened?

16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Apparently he gets to see it yes. Everything else is an assumption with regards to how many replays he saw it, what he went back for, and what was in his head in terms of any doubts.