The Final: URUGUAY v PARAGUAY (R)

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by HeartandSoul, Jul 20, 2011.

?

Which country will win?

Poll closed Jul 23, 2011.
  1. Uruguay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Paraguay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ogopogo

ogopogo Member

Oct 13, 2005
    Lake Okanagan
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Congrats Uruguay!

2. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uruguay v. Spain is what we can all look forward to.

Saludos a los de Celeste. Very well earned Championship as someone mentioned.

Forlan's first goal was a rocket! Terrific action in a Cup Final.

3. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's already a lock for the Confederations Cup group stage.

4. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    they are a solid unit, an actual team, and everyone seems to know what they have to do

worthy champs no doubt

5. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Well, Mexico is playing a bit better, but I still think Uruguay would win due to better defense, but it should be a good game

6. BarraUru

BarraUru Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Mexico playing better ? Says who ?

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Cheech has gained experience, and he's a better player he was a year ago. The attacking setup of Mexico is up a couple of points, IMO: Cheech up front, Gio behind and Barrera/Guardado wide.

The midfield is weaker, though. The Castro-Torrado pair cannot dominate the midfield against strong opposition, IMO.

8. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Congrats to the Urus on winning the final and for being the Copa record champs now!

Suarez, Cavani & Forlan - what great strikers!

9. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Says the powerhouses in the Gold Cup! Are you kidding? Beating Costa Rica, El Salvador, Cuba, Guatemala, Honduras and one of the most Powerful football nations in the World "THE USA" is quite a feat. Stuff of legends!!

10. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Congrats Uruguay!

y salud al pueblo Uruguayo. listo para 2014

11. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    The poster who wrote "Mexico is playing better" was replying to the 1-0 loss to Uruguay in South Africa. I think the poster meant that Mexico is playing better now than they were in South Africa, not that they are playing better than Uruguay. He even says that despite Mexico's improvement, Uruguay would still be the favorite.

12. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    yeah and I answered his "says who" with the team that they beat which were
    Costa Rica, El Salvador, Cuba, Guatemala, Honduras and one of the most Powerful football nations in the World "THE USA".. Who else can says that they are playing better? and If you have been listening to Maestro Tabarez, He would say Uruguay is not Favorite.

13. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Congrats Uruguay. Paraguay didn't even stand a chance.

14. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    Felicitaciones a todos los charruas

Incluso guri y manyaran`a!!:(

me quedo con los primeros 20 minutos y los ultimos 5!

15. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Uruguay deserved it. Glad to see my man Lugano with the trophy.

Paraguay was awful. They held on against Brazil and Venezuela, who had chances and went forward, but ultimately they couldn't hold against Uruguay. And to think Brazil had so many chances against this unimpressive Paraguayan side.

Now, onto the 2014 World Cup qualifying. With Brazil hosting, I will have to pay attention to all the games where Uruguay, Paraguay, and Argentina play each other. They'll be fighting for the top ranking.

16. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    And by the way, Paraguay finishes in 2nd place without winning one single match; without scoring one single goal in the elimination rounds; and, with two consecutive PK shootout victories against teams who were far more offensive-minded.

If Paraguay had somehow taken this to PKs and won it - .................

EDIT: Uruguay looks strong for now; 20 of the 23 at this tournament were in 2010's World Cup. But how old/young are they? Uruguay will after all age between now and the final WCQ fixtures in late 2013. Those of you familiar with the younger, up & coming Uruguayan players, how much rebuilding will Uruguay need between now and 2014?

17. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Congrats Uruguay

18. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Congrats Uruguay, well deserved win.

As far as Martino, fvk him he turned the team into a complete joke. Now he's talking about staying? I defenently wont be following this team anymore until that man goes.

If he really does stay Paraguay can kiss Brasil 2014 goodbye.

19. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They still have to qualify first, you know.

20. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Why does Ortigoza even play? The guy has a big gut and can't run at all. Any player on the field can outrun him including the Ref and Oscar Tabarez. The guy wasn't even making any passes in the first half. He was better in the 2nd half but man, i was laughing everytime he was controlling the ball. You can tell his gut really slows him down.

I do give him credit, he lasted all those extra time games and didn't pass out.

I'd imagine if he was in better shape that he would be able to actually run.

21. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    without him the score= from minute 2 could have gone up!!

he stop that ball with 2 hands.....while lugano was on the ground at his feet:(

el #20 ortigoza...made a good thru pass in the second half...if that counts, the one that hit the cross bar, after the monster save by Muslera

22. Gonchi

Gonchi Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Uruguay noma'.

There's plenty of time between now and 2014, but I don't think Uruguay will undergo rebuilding as such, especially considering Tabárez has been working with all the youth divisions since 2006, so he knows the players. Heard he'll be taking over as coach for the U-23 squad at the Olympic Games in London next year, so I bet he'll pick a handful of players from that group to "promote".

Even so, I think we're good in the age department, the bulk of the current squad is in their mid-20's. The oldest players are Andrés Scotti (35), Loco Abreu (34) and Juan Castillo (GK, 33), who are all subs. Then there's Diego Forlán (32), Diego Pérez (31), Diego Lugano (30) and Sebastián Eguren (30). Forlán, Pérez and Lugano are starters, will they make it to Brazil 2014? Well, older players have performed at the World Cup. Frankly, I can't imagine Lugano or Forlán missing Brazil 2014, not sure if they'll be starters, but I'd wager they'll at least be in the squad.

Fun fact I've not seen many mention, Forlán matched Héctor Scarone as all time leading goalscorer for Uruguay with 31 goals.

23. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
  24. Gonchi

Gonchi Member

Apr 23, 2009
    No doubt about Suarez, and I expect Abel to be tearing it up soon enough. Lodeiro... well, I'm still hopeful. He really needs to start getting some play time at club level though.

There are more though, lots more.

As for the U-20 team, Diego Polenta and Leandro Cabrera are strong prospects, though I'm not too sure about this crop of attacking players. For the Olympics though, the 2009 generation will be eligible, plenty of great attackers there.

25. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    muslera no era suplente en la liga...durante el 2011? Y mira que tremenda copa se fajo! club level