The Final 10 for 2011 [R]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Feb 19, 2011.

1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I just read that the Dutch Unibet completely changed its point of view compared to yesterday when they gave Twente the best chance of winning. Either they found out something, which would be very dodgy indeed, or they´re disappointed with the number of bets they´re getting. I´m guessing it´s the latter. Bookies exist to make money. Not to make the correct predictions.

The international bookies have it as a very close call.

2. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Hehehe. Who knew he could actually play football eh!

You know it´s weird the effect players have on the fans. There´s a lot of Dutch Indonesians in Enschede and they´ve all kitted out their kids in Landzaat shirts!

3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Not true. I just looked up two international sites and they have pretty much the same odds that are on the VI home page.

4. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I checked the British odds. They have it as too close to call. What odds on VI btw. They run a story on how opinions are very much divided.

But never mind that. Do you believe that Ajax has twice as much of a chance to win the league than Twente. Be honest now.

I personally think it will be close. The fact that Twente only needs a draw while Ajax needs a win, and the way Twente won the cup final makes Twente the slight favourites though. Dutch radio has run interviews with all Dutch league coaches this week. I wish you could hear them.

5. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    If he's talking about who'll win the league, he's correct. Both almost equal odds.

6. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    To be honest I actually like the fact that Ajax has to win "to win". Zero room for complacency.

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Well you can talk about stats but the truth is that Ajax have conceded goals easily all season against opponents that have players with quality wingers and players with a quality assist, quite simply because Ajax defending in the air has been abysmal. The likes of Sulejmani and Eriksen while great have not made a difference in big games this season. When you lose twice in a season to ADO with the passing of Wesley Verhoek it would be downright weird to conclude that it would be easy to beat Twente with the passing of Theo Janssen in a side that has the added benefit of the likes of Ruiz.

Again I´m not saying this will not be a closely contested game. It can go both ways and I´ve no idea how it´ll end up as anything can happen in a one off. Even Ajax fans deep down know though that Ajax will have get everything right to beat Twente, and I can´t personally remember the last time that Ajax did get everything right.

8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This is why I no longer post on the Twente Thread and I'm damn glad this thread will come to an end on Sunday. I'm just plain tired of your constant misreading of everything. Both clubs have won 21 matches in the league. Twente have drawn one more than Ajax which is the differential. Which team has scored more goals in the league and which team has conceded the fewest? Want a clue (the team is not in Enschede).

Theo Janssen is good for one thing and one thing only, delivering balls on corners and free kicks. He is really not much of a factor in the run of play. I don't think much of your wingers and quite frankly we kept clean sheets in both games against PSV this season who have much more offensive ability than Twente.

Sure Ajax have slipped up against a couple of teams but then so have Twente. We came back twice to gain a draw at Enschede and now Twente need to show what they are made of by traveling to Amsterdam. Hey, maybe Preud'homme will take the cowardly way out and try to play for a draw; I wouldn't put it past him.

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Here are the three sites I've looked at today (Ajax W; D; Twente W)

bet365 - 17/20; 27/10; 29/10
    SportingBet - 4/5; 5/2; 14/5
    Bwin (proud sponsor of Real Madrid) - 1.88; 3.50; 3.50

10. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    What misreading of anything if I may ask. It´s a bit odd that you´re reacting this way as I´m saying nothing different to what the majority of people are saying about this game and that´s including Ajax fans.

Twente beat PSV three times this season,so I´m not really sure how they´re superior to Twente in anyhting. Twente played Ajax three times this season, once in Rotterdam and once in Amsterdam, once in Enschede, did not lose. Twente have a massively superior record to top three opposition this season compared to both PSV and Ajax. Twente are a point ahead of Ajax and beat Ajax in the cup final which took place last week. And Theo Janssen had a goal and an assist in that cup final, so again I´m not really sure why you´re downplaying his importance. The likes of Wesley Sneijder and Van der Vaart are bigging up Janssen this week by the way.

As for Twente playing cowardly, I´ll give you some stats on that cup final. Goal attempts 27 to 19 in Twente´s favour, chances 15 to 6 in Twente´s favour, corners 10 to 4 in Twente´s favour. According to the stattos on VI.

Look I have gone above and beyond in saying that this will be a close game and that I for one have no idea how this will pan out as it´s a one off. For you though to be putting down Twente, with all due respect, is just silly. I´m not afraid to admit that Twente has its weaknesses by the way. The two goals Ajax scored in the cup final were both down to massive defensive mistakes. Throughout the season we´ve had problems against park the bus sides. I don´t think you have to be a biased Twente fan though to argue that Twente is the slight favourite this weekend.

11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Majority of the people? What strange universe are you living in? I wouldn't be talking about Ajax fans if I were you, just as I don't talk about Twente fans. You cannot understand what Ajax fans are thinking.

We've rehashed the Cup Final ad nauseum. Yes, you beat PSV but lost to NAC, AZ twice and were utterly humiliated by Heerenveen. I don't exalt Ajax play this season but would point out that the only time the team was thrashed was in the Utrecht match; the other losses were close and we through a way some matches that we drew (I distinctly remember our €6M striker missing a PK against Roda in the 88th minute; had he converted that things would be quite different going into Sunday's match).

Both have been quoted saying Ajax will win on Sunday.

Massive mistakes? My understanding of "massive" is the two enormous mistakes made by the Ajax defense that make any miscue by Twente pale in comparison. The two Ajax goals were really quite creative and not dependent on a fullback who cannot defend (despite being on the Dutch NT) or a young fullback on the other side not picking up the player cutting towards the goal.

12. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    As JC-14 explained to me, the combined odds of Ajax losing or draw against Twente is the same as an Ajax victory.

And Neeskens, most of the Ajax fans think that Ajax will win. Of course, since the gap between them is véry small if it excists.

But I must say that the majority of people i hang out with hope that Twente will win the league. They support Roda, Sittard, PSV and Feyenoord. I disagree, I expect that Ajax will win

13. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Quite some people at the last Ajax training today:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ghosts????

15. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Ajax fans naturally believe Ajax will win, it would be weird if they didn´t. You´d be hard pressed to find a Dutch journalist, pundit or indeed Dutch coach who believes Ajax is the favourite tomorrow. In the Netherlands that is.

16. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What do you mean? Can't see the pictures? Check out ajax.netwerk.to
    There were about 4000 fans.

17. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't see any images either.

18. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Look you clearly think Ajax is superior to Twente. I have no problem with you thinking that. It´s just a shame that you get upset when I in turn tell you that in my opinion Twente is slightly better. And that you get angry when I point out that saying that they´re slightly better is being mild when compared to a myriad of Dutch football journalists and pundits.

Who´s the better team or not won´t decide tomorrow anyway. It will be down to luck and mental strength. Seeing that Ajax play at home the luck is probably with them. I´m pretty confident that Twente is stronger mentally though.

19. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Right, right. If Ajax wins it's luck and if Twente wins it's mental strength :rolleyes:

20. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Lol, didn't she say last week that the winner of the league would be the best and didn't she argue my opinion that the league winner will be the luckiest. No question mark, it's rhetorical.

21. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    That´s not at all what I meant and you know it.

And this is not directed at you but can someone explain to me what the point of putting someone on ignore is when you´re going to address their comments anyway. I guess it´s easier to live in a messageboard world where only pro Ajax comments appear.

22. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I know I was just taking a jab, but you do have a way with words sometimes.

23. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Unfortunately, it does not ignore quotes. So stop quoting!

I have no problem with people who are not Ajax fans. I don't even have a problem with people who have a different opinion than me. I do have a problem with pathological liars though.

24. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I just meant to say that Twente is mentally stronger while Ajax has home advantage obviously. It will be tight!