The fight against modern Soccer(football) 2

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by vifvaf, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They'd have been fine, and felt fine too. The idea that terraces were all a boisterous mass of seething humanity doesn't really tally with the reality.

Even "back then" the "normal people" outnumbered the hard-core by a fair margin at most grounds with terraces. One of the good thing about terraces, with the exception of the rare ones that really were rammed full, was that it was very easy to move to part of the ground more suitable if you felt inclined. As such, different parts of the grounds/ends picked up different reputations.

There's no real aversion to terracing from English fans*, just the football authorities. Indeed, not only did I stand on a terrace at a top flight rugby game a few weeks back (you could take beer with you onto the terrace as well) but most new rugby grounds being built have large terrace sections.

* there are some fans against any return to terracing. Their argument isn't so much about safety, but more along the weird lines of just saying they prefer to sit, and don't want to be made to stand up. The fact that they wouldn't actually be forced to stand somehow doesn't compute.

2. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I'm sure mine would have been somewhere on apocalyptic end (group was voted 3rd worst in Europe at some point in 80s by, at the time, leading ultras magazine.. think Chelsea and Liverpool were ahead :D), yet I started going during "bad old days" when I was 12, basically a kid. There weren't many females but females don't really bother with soccer on Balkans. I was from basically a middle class family, but friends in my subgroup - most of whom were attending Classical Gymnasium, so easily top end school in city ran a full spectrum from very poor to very rich. And that was case all over the group. We had quite a few of what would be minorities in our situation - Serbs, Muslims etc..

You can't look at 70s and 80s through today's glasses.

Only Colorado in MLS has a terrace, the rest have people standing on or next to seats, same as in Europe (aside from either old stadiums that still have terraces or new ones with modern style terraces - I'd hope DC would have something like that when stadium is built in 2189).

No, there's no terrace areas, just that people stand on seats instead which actually makes it far more dangerous. But since you can charge more for it who cares, certainly not mafifa :)

3. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
  4. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    De Graafschap

Brigata Tifosi had a protest against the club board of De Graafschap. The club board wants to have a turf field in the stadium. That's why the boys of Brigata Tifosi put a alternative field of grass on the parking spots before the stadium. A banner with the text: 'Even if every club in Holland plays in turf, the super farmers (nick name of De Graafschap) belong in the mud' made the action complete.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
  6. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6nY6SL3G-c"]AIK ULTRAS 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PTnLeL99wY&feature=related"]AIK - 2012 - Sista året på Råsunda - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16oYyRaAFok"]This is AIK Stockholm! - YouTube[/ame]

8. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
  9. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Vifvaf, Do me a favor. Show me where I said police do no wrong.

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys I'm sorry but I have to close this thread.

Please feel free to create another one.