The fight against modern Soccer(football) 2

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by vifvaf, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

As I said earlier in England the security is very tight. One thing struck me when I was at White Hart Lane. Whenever there was a goal (and there were six that day) the stewards went to the front of the section near the field level and looked up away from the field. Until things settled down.

Also the number of mounted police that were outside the stadium before the game. Their presence was intimidating.

2. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    In terms of the war, America was involved too.

3. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Ok. That happens in Europe to. What is your point ?
    What do you base that statement on? Every studies show otherwise. Violence breed violence. Again comment with very little historical knowledge in it.
    If you would look at the hooloigan scene in Europe you would see that violent security only result in more people joining in on the riot or violence.

What worked and how?
    As pointed out before the history , culture and geography might be a reason for the sepperated fans.
    But the fighting and clashes between fans and people from different neighborhoods are not realy a new thing.

Let me give you a clip from some of this weekends action
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMAV3c43ut0&feature=g-all-u&context=G2d69532FAAAAAAAABAA"]Brøndby IF - AGF, 11.03.2012 - YouTube[/ame]

Do you not find that your limited access to European football limits your ability to see the total picture ? By only being able to follow EPL , Serie A and La Liga you only get the top of the mountan. And of course some of the best quality matches.

That is how it is all over the world. Nothing special about that.

4. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    I felt that the strong police presence on foot and horseback help keep fans in line.

It disappoints me that fans in Europe can't follow their American counterparts and coexist in all areas of the stadium. I bet the atmosphere would be better than what you currently have.

Having travelled to Europe, it does my heart good to see fans on platforms waiting for transportation, even though they support different teams.

In terms of the league in Denmark, it might be a great league. But, if I could see it - then you would be unhappy. The network would change start times, have a Sunday night game, Monday night game etc.

5. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It depends what you mean by "atmosphere".

There's no way that having 1000 away fans scattered around a 20,000 crowd will aid the kind of back-and-forth banter between home and away fans that you get over here.

If I was away, I'd also much rather celebrate a goal/win in a section full of away fans than in with home fans. It's not just a safety issue. It used to be quite common in the past for seated areas to be unsegregated, and there were times when I used the seats (normally when it was raining and the away end was uncovered). I never had any problems celebrating goals among home fans on those occasions, but it wasn't as much fun.

I don't think crowd trouble is quite as certain as you might think. I recall a match at Reading's old Elm Park in 1994, 1st v 2nd. with our ground limited to 12000 at the time, the home ends sold out (pay-on-the-day cash admission back then), so around 800 fans went round to the away end and went in there instead, doubling the away support. There was no trouble at all.

6. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least from my experiences in Germany, there was never that strict of security. I got to go to a fairly contentious rivalry, Erzgebirge Aue v. Rot-Weiss Erfurt and there weren't cops everywhere. There were no problems at the game, as well.

Having lots of cops doesn't mean that there won't be problems. It never stops fighting at Red Star-Partizan games.

7. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Perfectly normal behavior by the stewards. Preventative work in stead of direct confrontation when people invade the pitch. Action after experience.
    How and why did you find the big number of police and their presence imitating ?

8. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Here in Braunschweig for more critical games 1000 to 2000 cops, with a 24.000 capacity stadium, isn't uncommon.

9. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    That is your answer from my post ?
    And how did it feel to get invaded during WW2 ? ;)

10. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEc9DHbWsFY"]Sports Direct signs being ripped off and thrown on the pitch - YouTube[/ame]

11. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

You don't know history very well. At least American history. December 7, 1941. Pearl Harbor. Fortunately the Japanese didn't launch a third strike. That would have been the death blow to the Pacific fleet. One of the reasons they didn't was they didn't know where the American carriers were. They didn't have surprise anymore. Had they and destroyed the rest of the Pacific fleet, they could have invaded inland all the way to Chicago before the US could have stopped them.

Fortunately the carriers weren't in Pearl that day. They came after the Japanese had left. More luck than anything else.

I think America let Japan know how it felt on August 6, 1945.

12. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
  13. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    You can't fix stupid.

14. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
  15. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

The horses are BIG and usually the police on them are BIG. I do whatever they tell me. Hopefully, after I ask, they let my wife pet them.

Look at USA 1994. No issues ( of course England weren't there). Look at Germany 2006, there were some issues. Why?

16. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Well imagine the roar when your team is away and coming from around the stadium instead of one section of the stadium.

17. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    That's not how it works.

18. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Yeah, Pearl Harbour obviously destroyed the infrastructure of the mainland US comparable to 4 or 5 years of foreign occupation and/or air strikes or batlles on and within major population centers.

19. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    I consider Pearl Harbor as an attack on the US. No, the mainland wasn't attacked. Thankfully. The West Coast was vulnerable though. Fortunately, the Japanese didn't realize how much.

20. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Don`t woryy i know the Story. Only i find the story from Pearl Harbor to be an attack on USA and not a occupation or an invasion.
    I`m personal very grateful for the help USA gave guring WW2 in Europe.
    The hole ww2 comment was intended as a joke. See the smiley behind the first comment ?

21. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    That is just what you said . That an overdose of police and violent police would prevent hools from keep on with their activities. CCsUltras gave an example where your assumptions where wrong.

22. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I would guess distance is one thing. What countries met and the countries that qualified or the masses of people. There are many factors to why you didn`t see some issues.
    In Germany you got the WW2 focus and the distance to Germany is short compared to USA. Easier and cheaper to get there. Hundreds of thousands of people visited Germany only to be where it happend , without any plan to see a match live. I don`t think the same amount of European fans traveld over the pond in 94 .
    I do not think that it was not any tactical security solutions or from acts that prevented riots .

23. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Are you serious? How can a few hundred or maybe a couple of thousand people get louder if they spread out ?

24. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    There are still some unanswered questions Schapes. Don`t you have an answer or am i right ?

25. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Red Star and Partizan fans are notoriously stupid. An overdose of police helps hooligans understand that it is not worth it. Red Star and Partizan fans haven't come to the realization yet. They may never.

Like I said, you can't fix stupid.

From what I have seen in England it seems they have received the message.

Like I said, it does my heart good standing on a train platform seeing fans of both teams standing side by side on the platform peacefully.