The FIFA Reform: News & Analysis

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Jun 1, 2011.

1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Bookmaker's favorite is Angel Maria Villar as Platini's successor. Would be an absolute joke (imho) if that would be true. Not just his reputation and track record (and nepotism with his son), but his country and federation has compliance issues at all fronts as well (e.g. WADA). Of course, it's easier to take action against Jamaica than 'against' Spain... No, for multiple reasons he's clearly not the right man. Ask Real Madrid, ask Alex Ferguson, the 2012 Portugal team.

2. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
  3. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I'd say it's a great move. Woman finally at this high position, and more interesting, she's an African Muslim. I hope this might be a big push forward for women's football development in Muslim countries.

Anyway, I hope that Zvonimir Boban enters FIFA (as reports and activities lately suggest) and I hope he'll do something to clean Croatian football up of local Blatters and Platinis and similar criminals. Short article that shows some of the problems affecting Croatian football http://www.total-croatia-news.com/s...rating-title-with-a-little-help-by-lokomotiva

4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Scala resigns and effectively accuses Infantino of worsening the standards rather than improving, as well as rewinding previous reforms.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/14/domenico-scala-fifa-auditor-resigns-protest

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36293324

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/fifa/243...-scala-resigns-in-protest-at-gianni-infantino

goussoccer repped this.
  5. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    WOW! Infantino, you have a lot of explaining to do!

6. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Well, the Scala resignation sure takes away from the following:
    I have been asking for independent auditing at the association level.

Just when things seemed to get back on track...

7. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Agreed. I can get that Infantino might have some dirt on his hands -- shit who wouldn't within FIFA? BUT Scala resigning is HUGE for FIFA. That is a huge black mark.

8. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    It's more than Scala who disagrees with how Infantino is proceeding:

Scala described his resignation as “a wake-up call”, while Mark Pieth, the Swiss governance expert originally employed by Fifa to oversee its reform efforts, said of Infantino: “He is actually exactly working like Platini and Blatter. We desperately want to go beyond that now.”

Pieth said the new president had disagreed with Scala over his 2 million Swiss francs (£1.4m) salary, lower than that paid to Blatter.

“It is personal, it is very clear,” Pieth said. “He wants more than the two million that Domenico is offering him.”
    Full article here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...i-infantino-accused-of-destroying-reforms-as/

9. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  10. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
  11. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    At this point they should all be wearing clown outfits. Then shoved into one really tiny car. Which is then driven over a cliff. And bombed.

Twice.

Chastaen repped this.
  12. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    #1488 goussoccer, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
    From the BBC article : "His [Kattner's] salary and bonuses were part of a contract that was unseen by relevant Fifa committees."

From an SI article: http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/05/23/fifa-fires-markus-kattner-bonuses-valcke-blatter
    "Kattner was due the payments over a six-year period from 2008-14 from additions to his employment contract, a person familiar with the FIFA investigation said Monday.

The extra payments were signed off by then-President Sepp Blatter and then-secretary general Jerome Valcke, Kattner's immediate boss in that period.

"We don't yet understand why these payments were made," the person said on condition of anonymity as details of the investigation are confidential. "These contract provisions were not known widely and not to the appropriate officers at FIFA."​

Blatter was quite the CEO -- sounds like he was using FIFA money as his own without any regard for reporting or generally accepted accounting principles --- or basic honesty for that matter!!

NOTE: This also distracts from Infantino's issue with his lead Audit man (Scala). Still want to see what Infantino does there -- or FIFA council for that matter.

13. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    As I re-read the article -- the payments were due in 2008-2014. So this news is almost 18 months old. It also looks like Kattner had an agreement (hopefully in writing) that the bonuses were due. Is he getting sacked for not reporting them appropriately from a fiduciary point of view? Did the auditor of their books not see these payments? Who of us has ever had the responsibility to have our contract properly logged with our employer, is that not your boss' responsibility? I know at the executive level things are a bit different, but this seems very strange.

I'll be interested to hear Kattner's side of this actually.

The cynical side of me says that Infantino was upset that someone else earned more than he does now....

14. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
  15. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Gianni Infantino Could Face 90-Day Ban by Ethics Committee

This is the part that, if true, is disappointing to me:
    I was hoping Sunil was above all that. Silly me.

16. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
  17. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    It's nice to see Blatter getting a namecheck. I've been looking forward to that.

21. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  22. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    My favorite quote there:
    Blatter's spokesman Klaus Stoehlker toldSky Sports News HQ: "My job for Blatter is finished. The FIFA volcano is exploding."
    The FIFA volcano is exploding!! Interesting

Speaking of exploding, I want to hear Sunil Gulati's explanation on why he recommended to Scala that he resign. Seems quite strange --- hopefully in the new age of transparency that is FIFA, Gulati will be able to talk about it.

23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh yeah...keep dreaming such thoughts!
    ;)

24. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Side thought: While the investigation into FIFA is needed and wanted, I imagine it is delaying or outright canceling the oversight and monitoring of the World Cup related developments in Russia and Qatar. I'm not worried about the former, though this would certainly open the door for any local corruption on their part, but as to the latter it means we'll see less pressure toward reform and progress in the coming months, if not years.

I've reached the point where I'm now officially angry. I understand that greed occurs when such monies are around. Opportunity begets zeal. But I bet if they simply legitimized extraordinarily high salaries to begin with, with the corresponding fiscal clarity, none of this would have happened and instead of corruption we would simply bemoan FIFA as greedy. Now the wanton acts of these few dozen people will literally impact the game, its well being, and the livelihood of all those associated with football.

Bravo, Mr. Blatter. You and your cronies found a way to f*** up football.

msilverstein47 repped this.