The fastest players in the world

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Jon Pall, May 12, 2003.

1. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    After seeing the U.S/Mexico game last week, I was really astounded by how fast DeMarcus Beasley is. He just blew by the Mexican defenders. It got me to thinking about players could keep up with him. I am curious as to who do you guys think is the fastest player (read: recognizable player) in the world right now. Add in variables like explosiveness and agility if you want too. I'll throw out the names: Roberto Carlos, Beasley, Ronaldinho, Shevechenko, Donovan, Ronaldo, Henry, Juninho, Basturk.

2. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Moderators,

Sorry I made a mistake. Can you take out Basturk's name from the poll and replace him with Thierry Henry please.

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i was gonna say! henry is blinding ESPECIALLY with the ball - another guy worth a mention: marc overmars

4. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    I say a draw between Roberto Carlos and Titi Henry.

5. boofdog18

boofdog18 New Member

a quarter of that list are us players. i bet craig bellamy or kieron dyer will give anyone on that list a run for their money. henry is blazing fast and owen before he picked up his hamstring injuries (think vs. argentina 98) was even quicker than he is now.

6. dcunited4life

dcunited4life New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Seoul
    Cha Doo-ri (son of Cha Bum-kun) ,who plays for the Korean national team, has been clocked under 11 seconds in 100 meters. I'm not sure if you're just comparing amonst the best players but he could outrun many of those above.

7. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are two kinds of fast.. With the ball and off the ball. Henry is a good example of great speed on the ball (off too).
    Some are blazing fast until they get the ball but getting into space is important too!

8. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Kieron Dyer is like lightning over 20 yards. Mikael Sylvestre is extremely quick, but I've seen Dyer leave him for dead. Michael Owen is no slouch either.
    Andy Campbell of Cardiff is extremely fast (but not much good at anything else), and I'm pretty sure there will be others like him kicking round Europe's lower divisions.

9. dudek's_apprentice

dudek's_apprentice New Member

May 12, 2003
    in your wildest dreams
    U got to mention Rooney too. He's FAST.

10. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Henry I think would be my pick as it stands right now it is amazing how quick and explosive his speed with and with out the ball really is.

Djibril Cisse the 21 year old striker for Auxerre and France(what do they put in the water over there?) is also blazing fast some say faster then Henry but time will tell on that one. He will soon be plying his trade in the EPL at least according to people in the know, maybe even at Highbury which would see maybe the fast strikeforce on the planet with the two of them in the line up.

Cisse has already scored a few goals for the full national side and gets on prety well with Henry on and off the pitch, so if the do team up at Arsenal and when Euro 2004 rolls around expect a high pace of attack and fast forward line for Zidane to lend his playmaking skills to.

11. ONE

ONE Member

Aug 11, 2000
    NOLA
    Yobo is astonishingly fast...and not just for a defender...

12. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    DaMarcus Beasley is fast as shite. He's got jets i tell you. Thats why they call him Run DMB.

13. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    oh yeah i forgot about him - hes got blistering pace

14. Mefisto

Mefisto Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Århus, Denmark
    According to the BBC, Dennis Rommedahl runs 100m in 10.4 seconds

15. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Darren Campbell the Olympic 200m Silver medallist, used to play for Barry or someone like that in the LoW.

16. Sardinia

Sardinia New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Sardinia, Italy, EU
    Talking about more than 30mt runs, David Suazo (Honduras, Cagliari)

If you manage to see the highlights of last cagliari's match you'll understand why I am saying this.

He would be a top 200m sprinter if he trained for that.

He's not rapid in the short distance but once he gains speed he is unstoppable.

17. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, they're the two fastest players for a country where one of its biggest strengths is the pace of its players.

Beasley can really haul. It's silly sometimes watching him go by people trying to keep up with him.

I've seen enough of Henry and I don't think he's as fast as Beasley (much much better, just not as fast). Owen maybe.

Bellamy, no, I don't think he can run with Beasley either. Beasley is crazy fast.

But, it is kinda hard to tell unless you lined them up and had a race.

18. dcunited4life

dcunited4life New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Seoul
    At the Gold Cup meeting between US and Korea last year, you can see how Cha just blew by Frankie Hejduk. Frankie is considered one of the fastest player in the US squad (might even be faster than Landon) but yet there's one play in the game where Cha beat Frankie to the ball and just outran him towards the goal. It was funny watching Frankie trying to catch up to Cha and it was Cha who was dribbling the ball. I remember the FSW's commentator just going nuts with the play.

19. toonarmy44

toonarmy44 Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Tyne and Wear
    I can only comment on the players I have seen(often) so i cant comment on the USA or Korean player
    but in the premiership
    Gronkjear
    Bellamy
    Dyer
    Henry
    Owen
    Vassel
    and outside the prem
    Rommedhal
    Carlos
    Cordoba

20. ricv56

ricv56 New Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Bellflower
    Jardel, Zague, Agoos, those guys can burn it up.

Seriously, some of the fastest guys I've seen that haven't been mentioned here are the Hondurans, Tyson Nunez and David Suazo. Jesus Arellano gets down the field with the ball in a hurry. Most all the other people I might bring up have been mentioned already.

ricv56

21. boofdog18

boofdog18 New Member

i think bellamy is quicker than donovan. i even think milan baros for liverpool is quick as hell.

22. cldiscodan

cldiscodan New Member

Feb 12, 2002
  23. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    romario over 5 meters was lighting quick