The FA Cup on ESPN(+)

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by QPR Kevin H, Dec 12, 2018.

1. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Fri Nov 8
    Dulwich Hamlet v Carlisle United 2:55 PM ESPN+

Sat Nov 9
    Maidenhead Utd v Rotherham United 10:00 AM ESPN+

Sat Nov 10
    Dover v Southend United 7:00 AM ESPN+
    Barnet v Fleetwood Town 7:45 AM ESPN+
    Chippenham Town v Northampton Town 7:45 AM ESPN+
    Leyton Orient v Maldon & Tiptree 7:45 AM ESPN+
    Hayes & Yeading v Oxford United 9:15 AM ESPN+

Mon Nov 11
    Harrogate Town v Portsmouth 2:45 PM ESPN+

Redbullsnation2012 and Art Deco repped this.
  2. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    For those of us in need of some club football during this absolutely dire intl break

Bromley v Bristol Rovers 2:45 PM ESPN+

Redbullsnation2012 and Art Deco repped this.
  3. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Third Round fixture day and times are out. All times and channels UK:

Sat Jan 4
    12:31 Rochdale AFC / Boston Utd VS Newcastle United (Live on BT Sport )
    12:31 Bristol City VS Shrewsbury Town
    12:31 Millwall VS Newport County AFC
    12:31 Rotherham United VS Hull City
    12:31 Burnley VS Peterborough United
    12:31 Birmingham City VS Blackburn Rovers
    15:01 Fulham VS Aston Villa
    15:01 Cardiff City VS Forest Grn / Carlisle
    15:01 Oxford United VS Exeter City / Hartlepool
    15:01 Southampton VS Huddersfield Town
    15:01 Brighton & Hove Albion VS Sheffield Wednesday
    15:01 Bristol Rov / Plymouth VS Coventry C / Ipswich T
    15:01 Reading VS Blackpool
    15:01 Watford VS Tranmere Rovers
    15:01 Preston North End VS Norwich City
    15:01 Brentford VS Stoke City
    17:31 Leicester City VS Wigan Athletic
    17:31 Wolverhampton Wanderers VS Manchester United (Live on BT Sport 1
    17:31 AFC Bournemouth VS Luton Town
    17:31 Manchester City VS Port Vale
    17:31 Fleetwood Town VS Portsmouth

Sun Jan 5
    14:01 Queens Park Rangers VS Swansea City
    14:01 Chelsea VS Nottingham Forest
    14:01 Charlton Athletic VS West Bromwich Albion
    14:01 Sheffield United VS AFC Fylde
    14:01 Eastleigh / Crewe Alex VS Barnsley
    14:01 Middlesbrough VS Tottenham Hotspur (Live on BT Sport 1)
    14:01 Crystal Palace VS Derby County
    14:01 Burton Albion VS Northampton Town
    16:01 Liverpool VS Everton (Live on BBC One)
    18:16 Gillingham VS West Ham United (Live on BT Sport 1)

Mon Jan 6
    19:56 Arsenal VS Leeds United AFC (Live on BBC One)

I'd expect all to be on ESPN+ again. And if you're wondering about the 1 min added to each kickoff time: http://www.thefa.com/news/2019/dec/02/fa-cup-third-round-one-minute-heads-up-021219

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only two games have both clubs in the Premier League. Liverpool vs. Everton is a rivalry, but Liverpool is much better. Wolverhampton vs. Man United is the only game between two good clubs. In calendar year 2019, Man United is winless in three games at Wolverhampton. Wolverhampton won 2-1 in the FA Cup Quarterfinals on March 16, 2-1 in the Premier League on April 2, and in the second game of the 2019-2020 Premier League on August 19 it was 1-1.

5. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    All of the UK TV matches feature at least one Prem club, which is actually a but surprising. Also kind of surprised SUFC-Fylde isn't a TV game over there - and Fulham-Villa, which could be a pretty good match. Kind of a dull draw aside from LFC-Everton

6. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  7. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  8. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Maybe they're not doing this in all the matches, but I'm watching Rochford-Newcastle right now and they just ran a crawl with scores of the other matches going on at the moment which I really could do without since I'd like to check some of them out too. Fortunately I was able to look away as the crawl started but if they keep doing this they're going to get me sooner or later.

9. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  10. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I'm late to this. I noticed the crawl as well, but luckily paid attention to the specific broadcaster that was spoiling results and the games they said they would be showing that day. So then I just watched that network's games last for each timeslot to avoid the spoilers. No other games were spoiled besides those 3-4 on Saturday, and, again, all were from the same broadcaster in England whose feed was used by ESPN.

But onto another gripe. How is it that ESPN can show every single game for round 3 but only two games for the replays? I know they can only show what they receive in terms of feeds but I'm stunned that the production company in England is only showing two of the replays. I'd think between BBC and BTSport that there were be greater demand and then that demand would lead to ESPN showing all that is available. This same problem happened last year.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  11. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    My guess on this: With not a lot of time between between 3rd round proper and replay it's tougher for the FA's production company/companies to arrange live broadcasting set-up at all the grounds. Particularly when replays are taking place at smaller clubs where more lighting and infrastructure has to be brought in for TV. Also the market for matches midweek and the highlight shows later on is weakened - e.g. there's no national BBC FA Cup show (MOTD for the Cup) for replays this week. I think video and highlights are just done regionally.

12. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what replays were shown, but three of eight were at Man U, Tottenham, and Newcastle, so at least one of those wasn't shown. If what ESPN Plus showed is what Wikipedia says was on TV in the UK, Man U and Tottenham were shown. League Championship clubs didn't host any replays, League One clubs hosted four (including one not played yet), and a League Two club hosted one. Tranmere vs. Watford will be on Wednesday a week after the rest of them, and Man U won't know where they have to go until three days earlier! Does anyone know why Tranmere vs. Watford wasn't played last week? Tranmere got a 3-3 at Watford and hosts the replay. The Round of 32 breakdown is:

Premier League: 14
    League Championship: 12
    League One: 4
    League Two: 1 (Northampton Town)
    Premier League or League One: 1

Northampton can hope they can reach the Round of 16 because they host Derby County. The Round of 32 will have at least three games between two Premier League clubs. There are Southampton vs. Tottenham, Burnley vs. Norwich, Bournemouth vs. Arsenal, and maybe Watford vs. Man U. Southampton vs. Tottenham and Burnley vs. Norwich are among the nine games at the most common start time of Saturday at 10:00 A.M., but other top clubs are saved for later. Hull City vs. Chelsea will be on Saturday at 12:30 P.M. Sunday will have a tripleheader of Man City vs. Fulham at 8:00 A.M., Watford or Tranmere vs. Man U at 10:00 A.M., and Shrewsbury Town vs. Liverpool at 12:00 P.M. Bournemouth vs. Arsenal will be on Monday January 27 at 3:00 P.M.

13. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Tranmere-Watford was postponed due to very heavy rains, which is why their replay is being played Thursday.

Man Utd-Wolves and Tottenham-Boro were the two replays which were televised last week. You can easily look up what was shown on ESPN+ in the past by going to https://www.espn.com/watch/schedule/ and selecting "replay" for any given date.

14. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    It's also disappointing that Tranmere-Watford won't air. It's not like there is competition that night. While I understand that the local networks are prepping for a busy weekend, a production crew working Tranmere-Watford could do another game in the northeast and certainly could handle the 1 hour drive or less to do the Man City game later that weekend.

15. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #40 QPR Kevin H, Jan 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Honestly it's just probably not worth the money from the FA's perspective. Also they really want to encourage better crowds at replays on cold weeknights. I'm just surprised and glad they do the all-match coverage for the proper rounds.

Art Deco repped this.
  16. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    http://www.thefa.com/news/2020/jan/29/290120-fa-cup-4r-replays-tv

So I'm pretty sure ESPN+ will be showing those two replays.

17. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I put off the FA Cup because I was focused on Libertadores/Sudamericana but am now getting to these games. ESPN+ with a pleasant surprise adding Liverpool-Shrewsbury Town. It's a raw feed, so only stadium sounds and minimal graphics. I can't say that I love this type of broadcast--I prefer both commentary and graphics but this is better than nothing. And now that we see that ESPN can make such a move, it's disappointing that they don't do it more often with the replays. I assume this specific match was either available on-line in the UK through the FA web site or ESPN was getting something from Liverpool TV (although the very minimal graphics that show just before a replay is shown are FA Cup logo graphics). Hopefully if there are other replays in the next round then ESPN might adopt this same approach.

18. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    There won't be any more replays, this year from the fifth round on all matches will be settled on the day with extra time and penalties if needed.

19. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Kind of interesting, and probably smart, for ESPN to go to that length with the FA to get Liverpool on their + schedule.