[The FA Cup] Manchester United vs The Arsenal [R] Pre/Dur/Post Match Discussion

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Paul.eta, Mar 5, 2015.

1. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Those Schmeichel boys are big. I spent some time in Denmark and it was surprising to feel so short there. I am not short either.

2. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boogie_Down, mebeSajid, BIGHMW and 6 others repped this.
  3. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Re-watching the highlights does anyone else think it's absolutely crazy where Van Gaal has Fellaini playing?

He's got him playing in a kind of Peter Crouch role (trying to knock the ball down for others, etc.) but his touch is awful, he can't really head the ball and he can't finish.

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's how you're acting when you touch the ref obviously. IIRC Monreal was sort of grabbing Oliver's shoulder around that time too, as if to say "Hey Ref, aren't you going to do something about DiMaria?"

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactimundo! These tunnelcam's are priceless.

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #281 NorthBank, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    I zipped through the match super late last night on DVR and here were my thoughts:

* Monreal's goal take was so incredibly cool, calm & perfect... left me wondering if Giroud or Welbeck woulda done that ;)

* Welb's spontaneous goal celebration was great! I hate that fake silent respect routine eveyone's supposed to do

* DeGea was clearly MOTM for them

* Mike Oliver was MOTM for us... seriously his 2 brave and spot-on calls for their dives turned the match away from them and towards us

* Martin Tyler, who I love in general, was bugging me last night... by tempting fate so much... that ManUre would come back again... all that "its-in-their-DNA-to-manage-this" crap. I'm glad he had to eat his words!

* The next round looks easy on paper, but I must say if it's Bradford, they seem a little like a cinderalla team so I'm not sure it'll actually be easy. But at least we can avoid Valley Parade!!!

Onward! Well done lads, you made us all proud... COYG!

charlie15 repped this.
  7. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I been away for a while, man! Trying to get back into BS.

Boogie_Down and charlie15 repped this.
  8. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    I think people forget that most likely we will have to face Liverpool for the final. Those dudes aren't going to be easy at all. Their playing pretty good at the moment.

Also ManU has to still play Liverpool, City, Chelsea,Tottenham. They may not make it in the top 4 as well :)

9. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha yeah. There were at least three players touching him at the time. I'd guess refs are probably used to players touching their shoulder or putting an arm around them, even if they don't like it. But grabbing their shirt/pushing them from behind is a step too far it seems. ;)

10. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    how about the one where he clawed on back down low? reminded me of a certain David (Seaman) who clawed one back in the final several years ago. cant remember who your opponent was but i remember it being 0-0 at the time and Seaman clawed it out for his defenders to clear.

Good job yesterday you guys!

charlie15 repped this.
  11. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is one area where American sports (at least the NFL and MLB) get it right.

It just seems so simple to me. You cannot put your hands on a referee/umpire. Thats it. You're the player/coach, and he's the offical. You don't touch him. It eliminates so many problems on so many levels.

He's not your pal, so don't put your arm around him while you're attempting to explain or persuade him. Your opinion is not supposed to influence him in any why, so why are you allowed to touch his shoulder to make him aware of your presence, or to get his attention. If you want to speak to the official, stand in front of him. If you're not a captain, you're not supposed to address him anyway, so there should never be a mob of people vying for his attention anyway.

So many cultures. One Fifa. Make the rule. Enforce it. Done. You know the rule. Hands off, or you're booked. Thats it.

The season openers in Italy might end in a few 4 on 4 matches, but the touching the ref habit would be over in a week, trust me.

mebeSajid, DeltaSig, NorthBank and 4 others repped this.
  12. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    would solve the crowding issue as well. not to derail or take away from the victory talk, but most times those sports you mentioned are transparent in that they explain calls esp NFL. Our guys seem like they get directives in a back alley where brown bags changes hands with no need to explain what they do on the field.

Aaron d and DutchCane repped this.
  13. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preferred finish: 1. Chel$ki 2. ARSENAL 3. Liverpool 4. Man Citeh.

14. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any chance your lot will sell DDG to us? ;).
    Joke aside, I would be shocked if he is still with you next year, specially, if you don't qualify for the CL.
    Real Madrid may be too attractive for him to stick around.

15. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    we should sell him to you. no point in such a talent being stuck at a midtable level club.

charlie15, DutchCane and DaPrince84 repped this.
  16. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You prefer Chelsea to win the title?

17. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    So yeah, apparently Ox out for a month. Same as I said before. Between him, Ramsey, Wilshere. They can never seem to stay fit.

18. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Theo might get a run out finally but me thinks his days are numbered.

19. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Invoke the rugby rules --only the captain gets to talk to the ref. simple and elegant. Also a sin bin for a yellow card

20. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, you expect Mourinho to blow that lead? I'm being realistic; Citeh don't have the gumption to overtake Chelsea.

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was your use of the word "preferred" that caught all of our attentions, i.e. you prefer Chelsea to win and beat us and everyone else around. ;)

There are 30pts left to play for (33 for Chelsea) and the gap to City right now is 5pts, and to Arse is 9pts. This league is not won yet!

p.s. This is the wrong thread for this discussion anyway.

WoodDraw repped this.
  22. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    keep going please. because if the sentiment is that you people prefer Chelsea to win, we are NOT selling you David De Gea!

charlie15 repped this.
  23. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    While I agree with you, the pinishment isn't really proportional to the crime IMHO. Sure, if you execute everyone who steals a car, car theft might go away but at what cost?

The problem is, the refs don't really have enough options at their disposal. In the nba, you can call a simple technical which is an appropriate penalty for just putting your arm around the ref and arguing for something. It isn't likely to affect the game too much. If it's a shove, the guy gets ejected and suspended/fined, but the team gets to replace him and play on. In footy it's a card or nothing.

So, either we need to do things retroactively with fines/bans or introduce the sin-bin or forced substitution or something so the refs have an appropriate punishment for the crime. I mean, monreal had his arms all over the ref too after Dimaria pushed him. Had he been on a card (can't remember), he would've been off too.

24. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll never out bid RM for De Gea.

25. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    As they should be, never thought he was that guy worth 100k, imho Welbz, Giroud and Theo just ain't on the level of starting day in day out. Good squadies. Need one more real dude.