The Expanded A-League Expansion Thread II

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by el-capitano, Mar 28, 2018.

1. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I don't mind having 1 Kiwi team in the mix, I do think the A-League can make a legit 16 team league with only Aussie teams. Its just a matter of time.

La Trucha repped this.
  2. theFOOTBALLlover

FC Porto, SC Freamunde & Fraser Park FC
    Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    Australia could support many more teams but not in its current model. Clubs should be allowed to spend as much or as little as they want and compete in market similar to the leagues in Europe.

3. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  4. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  5. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  6. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  7. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #83 Yoshou, Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    I would think it would be possibility since the two divisions won’t be separate businesses like USL and MLS... Not to mention the whole point if this group was because state league teams were complaining about being cut off from A-League.

I would imagine the main reason they aren’t starting pro/rel immediately (or with a timeline) is related to stability. They need to make sure the newly formed B-League teams can survive in the new national format and that A-League clubs won’t collapse when they are relegated. It does also start pro/rel with the state leagues in year 5

mike4066, aetraxx7 and La Trucha repped this.
  9. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    artml, mike4066 and Yoshou repped this.
  10. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I hope its a success. Whilst I'm not someone who sees the need for promotion and relegation its what has been deemed to be necessary by the AFC and will affect our representation in the ACL if we don't comply at some stage. Reading some other articles it seems all the current A league clubs (not 100% sure if this applies to the Nix) have a license to compete until 2034. That's quite a way off and I can't see them agreeing to give up that licence while they are still a going concern. You may end up with some clubs guaranteed a spot and relegation only applying to handful of clubs if we go to 16 teams. We could also allow more teams in and have a conference type system. Lots of different ways to expand and restructure.

11. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I don’t think pro-rel is a priority either, not that it’ll happen before 2034 anyway. Nix’s licence is expiring in 2020 and all signs point to them not getting a licence renewal hence why Rudan left (rumour is he’ll join Kurto at Western United next season).

I’m glad we are finally working to get a B-League up and running. Failed expansion bids Team 11, Canberra, Tassie and Wollongong Wolves should all receive first priority IMO, followed by the stronger former-NSL teams.

12. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m just going to say that I really like Japan’s licensing system and I hope they implement it in Australia. Basically every team has to be licensed for each level and need to show viable plans and resources to support the level they are licensed for. So, in Australia’s case, a NSL team would need to be licensed for B-League or A-league, then they’d have to win their league to get promoted. If a non-licensed team wins the league, then that year there isn’t a promotion.

artml, aetraxx7 and mike4066 repped this.
  13. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The A-League needs to get onto relegation sooner rather than later. 2034 is to far away, 2025 would be a better option. The A-league is virtually dead in the water, it has become stale and boring (tv viewership has plummeted, attendances are following). The existing clubs would do better to sign up for relegation to bring in some excitement before the league dies. There is no way that the Mariners deserve to stay in the A-League, if they can't perform and don't want to spend. With the protection of no relegation they are just turning up year after year and offering nothing. There are multiple semi-pro clubs in the NPLs around the country that would beat Central Coast on a regular basis.

14. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think the key words in what you say are semi-pro. I think thats the biggest single factor that needs to be overcome before we can have meaningful promotion and relegation. We need to have a viable professional second tier. Clubs in the second tier don't need to pay their players as much as first tier (although they should be able to if they want) but I think for any club to have a chance of being viable when promoted they need to be able to pay a whole squad enough to keep them professional. To me that's a minimum of $50,000 per year for each person in the first team squad (probably a minimum of 15 players). I think in this country we are a long way from having a pyramid where clubs can move up and down based purely on results. I think a step from Amateur, to semi professional and then to fully professional should have extra requirements and a club should meet some basic parameters to give them a decent chance of success when transitioning between those levels.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  15. thewitness

thewitness Member

Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yeah I agree, the club coming up needs to be fully professional, but just being a professional club should not protect rubbish clubs like Central Coast from going down.

almango repped this.
  16. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Western United and Macarthur FC

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  17. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't this happen in Mexico not to long ago? A team won the Ascenso but couldn't be premoted?

mike4066 repped this.
  18. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico’s system is broken. To the point that many of the lower division teams are on the verge of bankruptcy. In the last year or so, they implemented a system where teams need to have a certain level of financial health to be promoted. It wouldn’t surprise me of a team recently had their promotion rejected. However, I also wouldn’t be shocked if there was something nefarious given it was the less than honorable tactics of the LigaMX teams that broke the Ascensio.

19. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    https://www.a-league.com.au/news/au...y1wePBGYkOee1Ycwa_9TuMwM7oYaM5yhAn1-1NxcFhYok

artml and thewitness repped this.
  20. thewitness

thewitness Member

Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    el-capitano repped this.
  21. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well that was short & sweet :eek:

22. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    mike4066 repped this.
  23. Pack87Man

Pack87Man BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still subscribed, and it's good to hear. A 12 team league is still not much variety.

24. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  25. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator