The Expanded A-League Expansion Thread II

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by el-capitano, Mar 28, 2018.

1. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would the Commonwealth Games have to do with the A-League?

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry. Forgot an R. Congress Review Working Group.

https://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/new...-congress-review-working-group-for-footb.html

The AAFC is a collection of former NPSL and state league teams that complained to FIFA about not having a voice in how the FFA was being run in the hopes that they would get a seat at the table and either be allowed into the A-League, or get pro/rel implemented. FIFA agreed with them and formes the CRWG to review the FFA’s governance and make them more open..

mike4066 repped this.
  3. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The fact that Tasmania was excluded and that 6 bids are Melbourne/Sydney based shows that this is already becoming a farce.

With that said, my top 3 bids are Team 11, Wollongong and Canberra. Wouldn’t be mad if either Ipswich or Campbelltown got chosen, but fvck the rest.

4. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping for Wollongong and the Western Melbourne group.

Are they choosing two sides now?

5. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yeah two sides, but it’s likely that Wellington Phoenix will lose their licence in 2019 so I like to speculate a third expansion will join in their place :)

#nixout

Nacional Tijuana and mike4066 repped this.
  6. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'd like out of that list:
    • Ipswich Pride FC
    • Canberra & Capital Region
    • Wollongong
    I'd prefer to see no more Sydney or Melb teams until at least the next round. Ipswich, so at least there's two Queensland teams- and they won't eat into Brisbane's already poor fanbase yet.

mike4066 repped this.
  7. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    el-capitano repped this.
  8. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is southern expansion Tassie?

9. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    No, Tassie did not make the initial shortlist. Southern Expansion is a “super-group” of three regions; Sutherland, St. George and Illawarra.

Southern Sydney + Wollongong area, if you will.

mike4066 repped this.
  10. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Looks like you favour expansion by adding 3rd teams to the outskirts of the two largest cities, rather than adding new regions.

11. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Why so extreme against South Melbourne?
    The Canberra bid has to be my favourite, especially now the ACT government has committed $150,000 per game to cover the stadium costs, for a stadium that already exists and the potential of a new one down the track.

12. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Tasmania was my top 2 until it was ommitted from the shortlist.

Campbelltown is further from Parramatta than Parramatta is from Sydney, so there will be little chance of cannibalising the existing Sydney teams (much like when WSW was first formed). Having an A-League there will align with Sydney’s plans for a three-city metropolis ie Campbelltown, Parramatta and Sydney. Not to mention the south-west corridor is booming rapidly and will have a new airport down there.

Team 11 is a bid I fell in love with from the moment it was first announced. I consider the SE my second home. Much like SW Sydney, SE Melbourne is booming rapidly and boasts heavy multiculturalism. Dandenong is an hour away from the CBD, so it’s unlikely that Victory or City will lose many attendees. Most importantly, the stadium will be in a very desirable location; unlike West Melbourne’s proposed location.

@almango I despise the SMFC bid because unlike Team 11 or West Melbourne, SMFC would be a third team based in the CBD which is excessive, and will eat into Victory and City’s support. Furthermore, it’s harder to access Lakeside Stadium than AAMI Park or Marvel Stadium, and I don’t think FFA want to take a risk on a former NSL ethnic club.

I heard about Canberra’s $150K deal and that is amazing. Ultimately, I’m okay whatever bid wins because I like them all; just as long as it’s not Southern Expansion or South Melbourne.

el-capitano and almango repped this.
  13. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm partial to Western Melbourne and Canberra myself.

I like the West Melbourne bid for almost the same reasons that La Trucha likes the SE Melbourne bid :D

La Trucha repped this.
  14. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    https://www.news.com.au/sport/footb...s/news-story/25534b0c6c1dd220dd84d7962177a033

15. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The race for expansion has now been reduced to from eight bids to six; with Ipswich and Wollongong Wolves both eliminated.

My preferences now look like this:

Favourite bids :D
    Team 11 (SE Melbourne)
    Macarthur (SW Sydney)

Second-tier :)
    Canberra
    Western Melbourne

Absolutely not :mad:
    South Melbourne
    Southern Expansion

Update on Hyundai A-League expansion

el-capitano repped this.
  16. thewitness

thewitness Member

Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'll give my order of preference just for the sake of it.
    1:Canberra
    2:Macarthur
    3:Western Melbourne
    4:South Melbourne
    5:Team 11
    6:SEX

17. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take Western Melb and Canberra for 1000 Alex ;)

18. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Not really fussed about this. I don't know enough about the bids to determine who is strongest. I do know Canberra struggled to maintain a side in the old NSL with several attempts ending in failure so I'm not convinced about their ability to support an A League team. I think Southern expansions attitude is rather arrogant as they pretend to represent a region they have pretty much had nothing to do with. They also clash with Sydney FC geographically so my preferred NSW team would be the Macarthur team. Its an expanding population base that is pretty much disconnected from other regions of Sydney. Not sure about Melbourne clubs but South Melbourne is still an ethnically based club hat would be sitting in the same market for spectators as the two existing Melbourne clubs so I don't see the logic of having them in there under the current system.

19. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Its a shame the 'gong bid fell through as they do have a great history in the game and geographically would've been separate, yet close enough too, for Sydney fans to travel to.

I'm based out in S/W Sydney, but I can't swap from FC now, not after 14 years of supporting them. :(

mike4066 and almango repped this.
  20. thewitness

thewitness Member

Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Canberra has an extra 100-120K people since the Cosmos last failed in the NSL and the bid team have really been pushing the "Capital Region" (Monaro, Tablelands, Riverina, South Coast) part of the bid, which seems to be gaining some traction, at least in the Riverina (my old part of the world).
    The Canberra bid has good government support, and a ready to go stadium and a new one promised for the future if the bid gets up. So the Raiders & Brumbies will certainly be pushing Canberra's A-League cause.

But in the end I think expansion will be delayed anyway at least an extra year, and maybe by then they will be ready to add 4 extra teams.

21. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    FFA to push ahead with expansion

Football Federation Australia will push ahead with A-League expansion for next season even though they admit there are some concerns surrounding the six bids.

While the head body gave no specifics about what needs to improve, it is understood finances and ground issues are problematic for some of the bids.

Their concerns aside, the FFA board yesterday announced that plans to expand the A-League from 10 teams to 12 for the 2019-20 season remain on track.

It was a decision that did not come without some rancour. The Australianunderstands the meeting was heated at times and that the board was split.

But armed with a report from FFA management, a decision was eventually reached to cull two bids — Ipswich Pride and Wollongong Wolves — leaving Western Melbourne Group, Team 11, South Melbourne, Southern Expansion, South West Sydney and Canberra in the race to be included in the league next season.

However, the remaining hopefuls still have some work to do with FFA management and their lead advisers Deloitte, planning to sit down with each bid to go through their proposals.

It was also decided that the current board will have nothing to do with a decision to either go ahead with expansion or which will be the successful bids.

That will be left to a new FFA board, which will be elected at an AGM later this month. A number of directors are likely to step down, forcing an election. Chairman Steven Lowy announced recently that he would step down after expressing anger and disappointment over what he labelled “football politics”.

There were fears that the new board would not have sufficient time to appraise the situation and that expansion could be put on hold until the 2020-21 season — something that would be viewed as disastrous.

However, a new board is expected to meet in early November and would likely convene another meeting later in the month.

That would mean the successful applicants would have almost 11 months until the start of the new season to get up and running, remembering it only took FFA seven months to get Western Sydney Wanderers going in 2012.

Certainly, there is every indication FFA wants expansion to happen sooner rather than later. Chief executive David Gallop said they would continue to work towards that goal. “FFA will continue to work towards expansion in the next season of the A-League should it be satisfied the remaining bids address some of the outstanding issues,” he said.

“It is critical that FFA can be satisfied the successful bidders will be sustainable from day one as well as meet a variety of commitments that will benefit the longer-term growth of the A-League.

“We have six bids that all have positive aspects but require further work in certain areas. We need to continue our consultation with those bid teams to ensure that they adequately address these areas to ensure their future sustainability, which includes securing stadia, catchment area and financial capital.”

Meanwhile, Southern Expansion, which takes in the St George, Sutherland Shire and Wollongong, say they are determined to make an impact on the NSW South Coast.

They said they “understand the disappointment the failed Wollongong Wolves bid will be experiencing”. The task for the Wolves, a former NSL club, was made more difficult after Southern Expansion joined forces with Football South Coast.

“We share the Wolves’ passion for the game. We acknowledge the history and role they have played in the Illawarra and we look forward to constructively engaging them now in terms of aligned player development pathways,” SE chief executive Chris Gardiner said. “Our bid has always included the Illawarra, and we have already put in place the key elements of collaboration with Football South Coast for junior player pathways, game development and resource sharing.

“We will look to their leadership in how football stakeholders now come together to make the Illawarra a powerhouse base for Southern Expansion.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...n/news-story/9a0a4fa13b08d438a26cd16f3ca57b01

22. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They really should delay until the teams are ready.

Its setting themselves up for failure

23. Pack87Man

Pack87Man BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with that is that the league desperately needs more teams. It's been at 10 for too long, and it will hamper the league going forward if they don't start expanding. They don't want to end up like the Scottish league.

24. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll hurt them more to have another false start.

25. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The new FFA board are aiming to decide on the two successful bids by December 12 and be on track to introduce them in the 2019/20 season. As of late, Wollongong Wolves and Sydney FC have joined forces to launch a full-frontal attack on Southern Expansion. It’s well overdue, because SE is a god awful bid. How can they honestly claim they represent the Illawarra region? Not to mention they will cannibalise Sydney FC’s fanbase.

Battle for Illawarra heats up as Wolves agree deal with Sydney FC

el-capitano and mike4066 repped this.