The England thread

Discussion in 'Group B - England, Russia, Wales, Slovakia' started by am0985, Apr 8, 2016.

1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    :alien: Surely that argument expired when this tournament expanded to 24 teams. The comment about the QF onward certainly applies to the World Cup too.

evil_allan repped this.
  2. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That argument has always been invalid when you look at some of the teams that have won. Greece and Denmark being the obvious ones. Nothing against those, they show what team work can achieve. There hasn't been an equivalent in the World Cup in recent years. The expanded tournament should make it harder for smaller nations to win as they are likely to be more susceptible to injuries and fatigue.

BocaFan repped this.
  3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Perhaps. The other way to look at it is there are more "smaller" nations in it to start with. Its almost inevitable that a couple of them reach the knockout stage.

4. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes more smaller teams will make it through. They have to as there are not 16 big teams. However, you have to win an extra match. The big teams are less likely to get knocked out in the first round too.

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, I don't think we'll see another Greece. That was really a once-in-a-lifetime thing. But I also don’t think we’re done with teams like Denmark winning every 20 years or so. Think of it this way: From Groups A, B and C likely 8 teams will advance to the KO stage. At least five of them (assuming England, France and Germany are the other 3) are what could be referred to as third-tier UEFA nations (i.e. kind of like Denmark). From there its luck of the draw, so 1 or 2 of them could have a nice path to the semis, including perhaps playing each other.

Anyway, I'm drifting off-topic so will leave it there as food for thought. ;)

6. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    While at Liverpool, I recall Woy's team lead the league in shots, but couldn't finish. Seems to be the exact same problem as yesterday. They had plenty of good looks, but couldn't finish.

Now, he is looking for a system change, which is natural, but he should really be mindful of personalities as well as combinations. Both Rashford and Vardy are finishers.

http://www.espnfc.us/england/story/...roy-hodgson-considers-another-tactical-switch