Sir Bobby & the rest - thread for ex-Utd players or products

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Dark Savante, Mar 31, 2008.

1. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sincere question: Who are some of the examples of people who have had their careers ruined by presumptions of guilt?

2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #3602 MizzouMUFC, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Most recently Chris Hardwick. Ex-GF writes a anonymous essay describing sexual and verbal abuse which she knew could clearly be traced back to him. AMC and Comic-con fire/put him on leave immediately. Social media and the actual media condemn him as a piece of shit. Turns out, theres no evidence of anything she said. He's been hired back by AMC but irreparable damage has been done to him and his company.

There also plenty of college students that have been expelled from major universities based on accusations of rape where NO investigation took place. They just expelled the students to avoid bad publicity. Like I said before, in this age of immediate reactions due to social media, people put feelings before facts.

Edit: And in AMC's defense, they put him on leave while they did an investigation. When it turned out there was nothing there, they put him back on the air despite his public image being ruined. Most companies would have cut ties immediately.

3. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So your example is someone whose career...wasn’t ruined?

4. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The guy lost millions upon millions in sponsors and future work based on an allegation. Do some googling if you won't more details. Do you consider that a career boost?

I also mentioned that countless college students have been expelled from major universities and has their future out in jeopardy based on only allegations. Do they not count because they're not famous? Or do you see being expelled from a college and in some cases scholarships revoked a positive thing? I'm sure for these people it's really easy to forge future relationships when their public knowledge that they were kicked out of college for rape.

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3605 Ashur, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  6. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nobody said being accused of rape is a positive. You said that there people were "sentenced to life on social media" and "careers are ruined" but I don't think there are really many examples of that being the case. The policies of colleges and universities are a separate issue as far as I can tell.

"Innocent until proven guilty" is a legal principle that as I understand it serves two main purposes. First, it recognizes that the state taking someone's freedom away is extremely serious and thus we're more comfortable with the system producing false negatives (i.e. guilty people going free) than false positives (innocent people locked up). Second, it recognizes the inherent power of the state as relative to any individual and thus requires that the state meet the higher burden of proof.

Neither of those justifications is nearly as relevant in the "court of public opinion". While there can be serious repercussions to being treated as guilty, none of them approach incarceration. The second justification isn't really relevant. For that reason, using an "innocent until proven guilty" standard in judging someone on a non-legal basis doesn't actually make much sense. Certainly you wouldn't apply the logic that you need to be 99.9% sure of "X", otherwise you assume "not X" to the vast majority of judgments you make in your life.

The totality of the currently available evidence looks extremely damning for CR7 as @iggymcfly ably laid out. Nobody is saying to string him up by his heels for that. There will be an investigation and if it goes that far he will get his day in court. But I don't understand why you wouldn't base your own current judgement on the evidence currently available to you and then update that judgement if and when new information becomes available. That's how you or I would think about any other question.

7. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm glad you bring that point up. I'll give you several examples of why I don't make rash judgements based on the current evidence and instead wait for an investigation to take place before forming an opinion. Because its more important to be right than to be first. Sure I'm forming opinions in my own head based on the current evidence, but I won't add to the social outrage based on incomplete and one sided evidence. With that said, these examples are extreme ones, but they're that way to prove a point.

Example 1. When the Boston marathon bombing took place, some of the media and public tried to play detective online based on some blurry footage of the bombers. While we now know that the Tsarnaev brothers were responsible, that wasnt the case during the initial aftermath., People took those blurry images and because he resembled one of the bombers and because of his name, Sunil Tripathi was identified on social media as one of the bombers. Not only did the casual person run with this on social media, but so did most of the mainstream media. They wanted to be first rather than wait for the facts and be right. Luckily nothing happened to this kid but can you imagine if he would have been discovered in the Boston area by the general public? They would have beat him to death on the street.

Example 2. When the Michael Brown shooting took place in Ferguson, the early reports were that Michael Brown was an innocent black man that was stopped by an officer for nothing other than walking in the street, had his hands in the air saying dont shoot, and was killed by an officer. There was outrage, which at the time seemed justified, and countless people were hurt and who knows how much damage to public and private property in the following weeks in the STL area. The officer was taken off duty and had to be put in what amounts to witness protection due to the high number of death threats. Then an investigation took place and it turns out all the "wtinesses" didn't actually see what happened. The ones that did supported officer Wilson testimony. Turns out Michael Brown was a robbery suspect, he was stopped by officer Wilson, he attacked the officer in his car, reached for his gun, he was shot and told to get on the ground, he kept coming at the officer and was fatally shot. But when this news came out the damage to the city and injuries related to the protests and outrages had already taken place. Not to mention that the officers life was basically ruined. I get that this ordeal shed light on a larger issue of police discrimination, it was still based in outrage derived from lies and misinformation.

Both are cases where people took the first shred of "facts" and instead of waiting for the truth, combined that with their feelings and acted. I'm not saying everyone is wrong, it's human nature. I'm saying in cases like this I'll wait for all the evidence to be flushed out before I act on my personal opinion.

8. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to take away form the discussion above, but this was a pretty interesting article: https://trainingground.guru/articles/what-man-utd-can-learn-from-barcelona-about-culture

Discusses how the culture and DNA of a club are vital to it's success. Really hope that we can bring back Darren Fletcher or Patrice Evra in some fashion when they decide to hang it up. Someone who really knows what the club is about. Fletch would be a fantastic mentor to the academy players, and he already has experience with coaching.

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3609 Ashur, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    There's been some talk about Evra being part of Zidane's staff if he was given the top job at United. Not sure if there's actually anything real behind that rumor but I'd love it personally and it would make sense.
    Not only he'd be of use from the language perspective (since Zidane does not speak English yet), but he'd also be an invaluable aide in terms of his deep and intimate knowledge of the club.
    Just having Evra back at the club in some capacity, with his enthusiasm and professionalism, would simply be awesome.

jnielsen repped this.
  10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kiko Macheda is alive and well. Signed for Panathinaikos in Greece and scored his first goal over the weekend.

Deadtigers and johno repped this.
  12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45736180

As expected, Ronaldo has strongly denied the accusations against him. Curious to see where this goes though, with Vegas PD having reopened the investigation.

13. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Love that guy.

If anyone is interested, United v Newcastle is on MUTV for those who have it. Great highlights.

We played a 442 with Rooney and Tevez supported by Giggs and Ronaldo. Carrick and Ando in midfield O'Shea and Evra the fullbacks with Rio/Vida/VDS securing the heart of the defense.

Amazingly it went to the half 0-0 and stayed that way even after Tevez had 2 shots cleared off the line moments apart.

Newcastle feature Shay Given (blinder) and Steven Taylor and Alan Smith.

Once the goals start, they don't stop. A great throw back.

14. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This I think is my fav United match that has no trophy ramifications bar the humblings of Arsenal and Roma. Newcastle cleared the ball off the line like 4 times and Given stood on his head and Rooney was profligate and we still scored 6.

Futbol_Head repped this.
  15. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    It was 2009..good old days..Fergie was genius ..

jnielsen repped this.
  16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3616 Ashur, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  17. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are two matches against Newcastle from that era that stand out for me in memory. I believe one was a 6-1 win, and another was a 5-1?

How times have changed. I think we'll be lucky to get 3 points against them this weekend.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nike has expressed 'deep concern' over the accusations levied against Ronaldo.

www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45753889

Not so long ago, there's a very good chance that Nike's response probably would have been that they support Ronaldo, a business partner, at this time and will await the results of the investigation.
    Different times though (especially in the States) and it's interesting to note the statement made by a couple of American companies, Nike and EA Sports.

jnielsen repped this.
  19. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the fact that it was an American woman changes things immensely. Unfortunately, if it was a woman from some obscure European country I don't think it'd be getting nearly as much publicity. That's just the world we live in.

20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm glad it is getting scrutiny. If he is a rapist he should be in jail. I hope this is all some play for money and the articles on the subject are as clear as mud, but I want a proper investigation.

jnielsen repped this.
  21. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm right there with you, trust. If he's a rapist he is a piece of shit and deserves what comes to him. For now I will wait to see how this plays out. Doesn't look promising.

jnielsen repped this.
  22. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Disgaree completely regarding the women's nationality. I don't think the nationality of the women matters one bit. I actually don't think it's getting enough publicity because Ronaldo is a footballer. If he were a NFL or NBA player it would be all over the headlines in the states.

jnielsen repped this.
  23. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Women realising she got raped 9yrs ago .. How original :/ ...

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3624 Ashur, Oct 6, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    jnielsen repped this.
  25. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Does the article say why she accepted hush money in the first place?

I know her new lawyer claims she was under duress, so he wants to nullify it.