Sir Bobby & the rest - thread for ex-Utd players or products

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Dark Savante, Mar 31, 2008.

1. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lol just because you call it controversial doesn't make it so.

I don't think the findings in the journal of biomechanics and the American journal of sports medicine are just making up their findings. I've done research on this and even the doctors and PTs that think it's ok acknowledge that it adds stress on the ACL but they think the quad isolation outweighs the risk. Most disagree with this.

2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2952 Ashur, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    It's not me calling it controversial, it's something that I've learned over the years of speaking to doctors and physical therapists on top of my own research on the subject.
    And as I said, my own experience on the subject backs the fact that leg extensions are used without reservation by some physical therapists. It was a crucial part of my own recovery from knee surgery and nearly 17yrs on, I've never experienced any problems or issues with that knee (fingers crossed) and it's as strong as ever.
    It may unpopular or not encouraged by same or many, but it is still a leap to claim that it's a fact or that it's proven to be detrimental to any recovery. That's all I'm saying to be honest. If it was proven beyond the shadow of a doubt, there would be no debate or controversy on the matter

3. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fair enough. I think 10 years or so ago it was regarded as generally safe but in recent years it's swung way in the direction of anti leg extensions. I think if you check out any reputable exercise science publications they are almost universally against it.

4. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Being a former ACL tear man myself -- and am now almost done with my recovery from a MCL tear last year -- I'm with Ashur on this one. You absolutely need to avoid quad lifts in the early stages of recovery but light work in the latter stages is close to being essential.

Done under the supervision of trained PTs there's an important role for quad work for ACL/MCL rehab. But only when you're ready for it. Early on, no way.

5. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  6. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  7. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nobody was arguing against quad work being essential in ACL recovery. It's second only to range of motion. The argument was against using leg extensions which is an open chain excersise that puts unnecessary shearing force on the ACL. Quad dominant lifts such as squats allow you to load the quads more with less stress on the knee.

8. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  9. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ok, I just talked to a PT about this. My view has always been to go very light on leg extensions and not to do them at all in the early stages of any kind of knee tendon injury recovery. What I mean by very light I mean a weight that you do easily 20-25 reps of before technical failure. None of this 8 rep and you're done shit.

Anyway, the PT I talked to has no problem at all with leg extensions in late stage ACL/MCL recovery, so long as you're focusing on clean technique rather than trying to lift serious weight. And that actually makes a lot of sense if you've ever been through an ACL or MCL tear.

Squats put a lot of stress on your lower back and so long as you keep the weight light. It's a good exercise that I definitely recommend but one I wouldn't substitute leg extensions for. But of course, if you feel any real discomfort doing any particular exercise then bag it. There's almost always a good alternative.

10. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Squats are ok if you stay light? No, they are made to be done heavy and in lower rep ranges as with most compound lifts. If recovering from and ACL doing box squats to help stress in the hole is not a bad idea but don't sacrifice weight or form.
    Leg extensions better than squats? Never. Never ever ever ever. No respected athletic trainer would ever agree with this.

I'm happy to talk lifting all day. I was relatively serious into bodybuilding for a while. Heavy squats wtih proper form put less shearing force on your ACL than semi heavy leg extensions and work your quads more. They are infinitely more benefical. Not only are they compound and closed chained but they allow you to lift heavier weight and therefore overload the quads which will give you better results over time. They also direct translate better to athletes and help with explosiveness. I get that people like leg extensions because they are a isolation lift and people think isolation equals better but in reality isolation is best to give certain body parts a little boost. Compound lifts are where strength is made.

Do whatever lifts you want to do obviously but just careful spreading misinformation. This has become a giant problem since the whole CrossFit fad. Tons of idiots who now own gyms and have middle aged housewives doing timed, Olympic lifts and causing serious injuries.

11. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard leg extensions are super sketchy and should be avoided by individuals with a history of meniscus/knee ligament injuries.

MizzouMUFC repped this.
  12. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  13. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No. It is a feature by guardian on the 25th year of PL. [emoji4]

14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bardsley has left Stoke City and signed for Burnley.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Tears of joy I hope.

17. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This popped up on my facebook memories and thought I'd post it here.

Ashur and Father Ted repped this.
  18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really sounds like he may re-sign. Even if for 10-15 more appearances, a rotation of Zlatan, Lukaku, and Rashford would have to be one of the best in the league.

20. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    They are 3 different players, how ?

21. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would you want three players with the exact same characteristics? Unless that characteristic is scoring a shit load of goals.

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You want to build a system based on a striker characteristics, you need at least 2 strikers who can fit in and out seamlessly and maybe a 3rd different option. For e.g. if we built a system based on running behind the defenses, Zlatan is useless in it. If you want to build a system with quick interchanging players, both Zlatan and Lukaku are useless in it.
    You dont keep changing systems based on which striker is on the field.

24. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  25. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC