Sir Bobby & the rest - thread for ex-Utd players or products

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Dark Savante, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    The stench of entitlement.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy has never been a manager, ie no ones knows anything about him, and the fact that he can't even get in the running for jobs sound right and him pointing it out is entitlement on his part? Lol... :whistling:

5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    #2805 Teso Dos Bichos, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Consider his lifestyle and his lack of any coaching experience. He had a similar whine last year when he expected to just walk into the Villa job and is doing it again just for some attention and a desperate attempt at relevance.

LGRod and Gilma1990 repped this.
  6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way I remember it with Villa, he just mentioned that he hasa big affinity for Villa having spent a lot of time there and as such, would jump at the opportunity to manage the club, if it was offered to him. Again, not sure where "entitlement" comes into play.
    And if he couldn't even sit down for an interview to make his case, that looks like an issue to me and it's stuff like that which lead to other stuff people will then end up complaining about, because it's the only way to give some a fair shake.
    But yeah, you're not surprising anyone with that stance, Bruh...

7. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    #2807 Teso Dos Bichos, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    October 2016:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-manager-interviews-aston-villa-a7367266.html

At least last time he admitted his lack of experience might have been a factor. :rolleyes:

Why the hell should Yorke expect an interview at a big club simply because of who he is? He needs a reality check. No-one else in any other field would get an interview for the top job at a big company with no practical experience.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, he was disappointed he could not even get a sit down with the people in charge and make his case. Wouldn't have cost anyone anything...

9. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I edited my post to elaborate.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't really care about the "real world" because we know full well that the world of sport is it's own entity, for starters. Furthermore, we see all the time coaches with no experience get hired for big jobs in sports, based on their passion, desire or connection they have with the club. Not saying that Yorke should have been given the Villa job, but an interview at the very least would have been in order.
    But beyond that, the fact that he allegedly can't get no interviews at all seems perplexing. Whether he actually gets a job or not is irrelevant, but he can't sit down and get even a chance among all the club in the Football Leagues? That seems normal to you? Don't know if he lying or not, I can't pretend to know the particulars, but if he's telling the truth, then there's something seriously rotten in Denmark then. And the number of minorities (across the board) managers absolutely reflect that fact...

11. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does he even have coaching experience in some capacity?

12. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Dwight actually has a valid point.

13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    @Ashur

The fact he is bleating on about Villa suggests he is not targeting a realistic level of club. I also note you have failed to address the point I raised about his lifestyle. Beyond that nothing he has done in his career suggests coach let alone manager. He cannot whine when literally the only thing he has going for him is his name.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't address the point that he's a womanizer, because it has absolutely nothing to do with being a football manager.
    Furthermore, I'm speaking about what appears to be a systemic problem regarding the lack of minorities (not just black people mind you) in management positions. If you can't see there is obviously something wrong here, an issue Dwight Yorke just appears to be another example of, then fine. Once again, not surprising at all and we will just leave it at that, as we're getting in circular realm...

15. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  16. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
  17. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Character is clearly a factor for recruitment. Professionalism is another. Yorke fails both. If you wish to discuss any wider issue that is a different conversation entirely and for a different thread.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  18. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    As his countryman and having met and covered the man for years, Yorke is a fool, has no ambition beyond drinks and night life and I wouldn't want him coaching at any level.

Deadtigers and cr7torossi repped this.
  19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just hoping that the claims Yorke has made are mostly exclusive to him and not the norm for minorities, trying to break into the managing ranks.
    It's the same issue that has been talked about for years in the States regarding NBA and NFL coaches.
    And which led to stupid rules like mandatory interviews of minorities for NFL coaching positions. It's sad and ridiculous that things like that have to be put in place, when they would have been completely unnecessary if everyone was given a fair shake...

20. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Not to get into it but the NFL's Rooney rule was named after a white guy, an owner, who saw the overlooking of Black coaches as a problem, which of course I 100 percent agree with.

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2821 Ashur, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    The rule had to be put in place because it was/is a problem, but my point is it's vexing that it takes rules such as these to give minorities even a chance at coaches jobs for the most part. It should never even get to that in the first place. The best candidates should get jobs because they have the qualification, are the right fit etc, and the color of their skin should not be a factor as they even get a chance in the first place.
    Things are noticeably better in the NBA, they're heading in a better direction in the NFL as well (whether it's because of the Rooney rule or not), but football is still lagging in that dept as far as any minority in coaching/managing positions. Something that hopefully will change in time...

22. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It is difficult for black coaches to get into management but the only thing is to keep at it.

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes and that's why I, personally, I am keeping an eye on and pulling for, in a way, Vieira (despite his former and current affiliations). But with the job he's doing at NYCFC and some talk that Wenger would want him to take his place at Arsenal eventually, it'd be kind of cool if he could break that barrier in the Prem.
    There is talent out there and they just needs a platform and opportunity to show what they've got.

24. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    the other thing on that topic is black managers need to be good enough. it can't just be putting any random in just because.

that said there are enough random, horribly underqualified white managers already - like Aidy Boothroyd or however it's spelt. how did he land an England gig?

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giving a position just because or just to fill some quota is really an insult by itself. And it goes without saying that the person, whoever it is, has to be qualified for the job. But it's a vicious circle as well: how are you going to get any experience, if you're not given a shot in the first place?
    A guy like Chris Hughton is another great example of how you have to keep at it. Looking forward to see him back in the Prem next season...