The End Of An Era

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by nbrooks503, Sep 26, 2014.

1. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's gone. It may not be 2015 but hard to see him extending his contract beyond that on either side. Now some of this is Ortiz creating news because he's too lazy to do anything other than dust off old ideas.

But if the FO already has given permission, which was leaked by someone in the know . . . . . that tells me one or both parties want the marriage to end.

I'm not surprised this came up - Dom's demeanor and body language this season has been one of disinterest and general unhappiness. The Davis "coach's decision" sub against Columbus spoke volumes to me about things - basically an FU and white flag in the biggest game of the season

4. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    If indeed the organization has given him permission, it suggests that: 1) he has asked for it, so is clearly interested, 2) the Dynamo are at a point where they are okay with him leaving.

Lots of history with Dom and most of it good. However, a complete fresh start for the team this off-season might not be such a bad thing.

Hydro and Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  5. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    If Dom leaves, who's going to be the next manager in the future? Barrett, Ralston, Spencer, Onstad, Dalglish, or anyone else?

6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see how he's going to get players "all-in" when he's going around asking for permission to leave for certain jobs. That tells me we have a mutual agreement on things between Dom and ownership.

Hydro and DynamoManiac repped this.
  7. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably one of that group which would be a giant mistake. I think part of the problem is that the bench has no dissenting voices on it now. It will
    be Dom-lite.

Hydro and *rey* repped this.
  8. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I think Dom has been the best thing in this franchise since it moved here in 2006. He has gotten more results out of less talent that any other coach could have managed.

All these other coaches like Arena Sigi etc lose and whine that they just don't have the talent and prezto the ownership opens up the vault to bail them out.
    KinneAr just wrings more out of what he has. Maybe he's tired of fighting that uphill battle and wants a change of scenery or he feels like Houston fans should be more supportive when the teAm is struggling.

I do not want to see him leave because I know there will be problems and culture shock with a new coach that would lead to a tailspin. Plus Houston would have to face A Dom coached SJ numerous times every season since we are to be moved to the western conference next year. It would be miserable.

henryo, Hydro and DNez2001 repped this.
  9. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I can't help but like Dom, but change can be a good thing. Seems like we've been at a crossroads for a year or so. I wouldn't mind a fresh perspective.

Borrachin and Hydro repped this.
  10. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If San Jose wants him, we should get compensation for it. None of that "he's earned the right to leave" crap. But I doubt our FO has the balls to demand compensation.

11. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    I hate that list because to me it smells of laziness. World full of managers out there.*

*dislike the argument that a foreign manager cannot be successful in this league. pair him a GM that knows the rules, give home the players he wants and let him coach his ass off.

redinthemorning, shoeless and Hydro repped this.
  12. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're obviously #TeamChelis

redinthemorning repped this.
  13. NDS10

NDS10 Member

Mar 18, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    So let's say this happens, what I'm most terrified about is who is going to actually make the decision on who will replace Kinnear. Our ownership situation and group is in shambles and Cannetti doesn't appear to have a clue about the game itself, so who makes the call? I have had my doubts on Kinnear at times but I'm also rather uneasy on the future given that our franchise doesn't seem to have much direction from above.

Disappointing all around, wish we had Luck back . . .

CeltTexan and Hydro repped this.
  14. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sad to see him go, as he is one of the last few links we have to the 2006 team that we fell in love with. Wish him best of luck.

In my mind, the driver for him leaving is that he wasn't allowed to recruit the talent he needed. The owners didn't give him the resources he needed to scout and sign better talent. And I have no insider knowledge.

Now, if he leaves, what does this mean for us?

a) Who would be the next coach?
    • I can see Barrett or Ralston or Hanley being promoted. It would be sold to us as hiring "the insiders to the keys of success." Or they would hire some other young inexperienced former player. Any of them would be happy to get a coaching job, and won't complain too much if they don't get to sign stars.

b) New coach, can it be a bad thing?
    • I've been arguing that we have not touched rock bottom. I suspect we have two or three more years of mediocrity. This is an opportunity for the owners to bring a very cheap coach and "see what happens".
    • I suspect that indeed, the Dynamo has built enough equity with their fans, and die hards will stand by the team even if we a few more unsuccessful seasons.
    • Once season tickets purchases are <6,000, once attendance is <12,000 per game, then the owners will be pressed to make drastic improvements.
    • Sorry @*rey* , I agree with you that we should look beyond the US, but I don't see the scenario you suggest happening. "World full of managers", but this is a US-centric team.

c) New coach, can it be a good thing?
    • Yes. We will finally get to see different signings, different formations. I'm skeptical, though, since a new young coach will not make demands for better stars.
    • Yes, all of Kinnear's favorites would have a fresh start.
    • Yes, Kinnear may take his favorite dancing bear with him to San Jose.
    • Yes, we may could start scouting in other countries, including Argentina, Brasil, Colombia.
    • Kinnear was losing fans. Years ago, @Heft and @DynamoManiac and @Westside Cosmo would have been chastised for hinting that it "could be a good thing" or that his body language was negative. Nowadays, it's OK to criticize Dom's abilities, attitude or relevancy.

d) what about immediate impact to the team?
    • Hard to say how the players will react.

e) How will fans react?
    • Once fans accept reality, daydreamers will be posting here that we should hire Guardiola, Mourinho, or Ancelotti.
    • Day dreamers will think that our owners care about the Houston fans, and will think that we will get Batman, Spiderman, or Captain America as the next coach.

henryo and DNez2001 repped this.
  15. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the users over in the Quakes forum is very accurate with information like this. Think it's 95% done, imo.

16. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spiderman would be a terrible coach. Too impulsive. Captain America is too inflexible and unwilling to adapt to modern times (See: The Winter Soldier).

Batman though...he's a planner and a schemer. Fully capable of adapting and being whatever Houston needs. Because he can take it.
    He'll have scouted our opponents to death and have a full proof plan on how to defeat them (see Justice League Tower of Babel).

I want Batman as our coach.

17. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1 Would Read Again

FUCC

18. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think one of the reasons that the fanbase will be less disappointed then they "should" be if Dom leaves is that he's just not an endearing figure or beloved as a coach by most. Part of that stems from my personal belief that many of the San Jose guys who moved here spent far too long angry about the move itself and begrudgingly staying in Houston instead of embracing it and therefore never became the fan favorites they should have been. Or at least they could have faked it.

And he's always had the issue with fans as "experts" with a really low intensity media market. Does he think any other market will give him this sort of free pass?

I've never gotten the sense in 9 seasons that Dom really wants to be in Houston, TX. I didn't get the sense he was dying to leave or he hated it, but is he involved in any community or charity activity here at all? Usually a 9-year coach ends up involved in some cause. He very well might be but it's never been publicized.

I don't know Dom's salary but I suspect he's in the top third of MLS coaches salaries. Part of that I always assumed was the Dynamo paying him a premium not to be enticed to leave Houston because they knew he wasn't in love with it - maybe now they aren't willing to keep doing that.

I'll go back to that Columbus game two weeks ago - that lost me as a Dom supporter (doesn't mean I wasn't critical but never called for his head as really, who out there is better?). Felt like he made multiple poor tactical and player management errors in a huge game.

Hydro and *rey* repped this.
  19. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Maybe they will let him take a couple of his favorite players with him.:D

Dynamo_Forever, Hydro and jvilla07 repped this.
  20. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston

^^^that's all I'm going to say about that.

That's what happens when you import the front office and staff. As a consequence the team hasn't penetrated deep into the old Houston money/companies. That's why Oliver Luck was so vital in the early years. I walked into a couple of rooms with Mr. Luck and he knew everyone.

I remember being in invited to a luncheon back in 2007. I walked in and the first person greeting everyone was Archbishop DiNardo right before he left for Italy. That's some Houston juice right there.

redinthemorning and jvilla07 repped this.
  21. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Probably a lot of truth to this. Especially in an age where players/coaches interact more and more with fans via social media. Meanwhile, you have Dom interacting with fans as little as possible, criticising the fans (and local media) anytime they dare question anything about the team, etc.

I've been shocked over the past couple of years at how many people tweet, facebook, etc. that Dom should be fired. You'd expect that a coach who has enjoyed as much success as he has would become untouchable from a fan standpoint. The truth is just the opposite, though.

I see two ways this turns out (doesn't take a rocket scientist to come up with two ways):

1) Turns out that Dom is a magician who got more out of less than any other coach could and we are about to fall into the abyss,

2) Fresh ideas, a total rebuild and perhaps some separation of GM from head coach roles (if we hired a GM) rejuvenates the club and we're back to being as good as we were before.

I suspect that the greater likelihood is #1. As bizarre as it might sound, though, I'd sacrifice #1 a bit in order to get some more entertaining soccer played in Houston. The conservative style of play that the Dynamo are generally known for isn't great for building the fan base and I'm not sure it will do much for us in the Western Conference. It is great come playoff time, but you actually have to get to the playoffs first and that is about to become much more difficult.

Hydro, Grimmjow316, *rey* and 1 other person repped this.
  22. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Yeah #1 scares me and I've kicked that around to people while "pub talking". Although it's only a slight possibility it could get Chivas USA worse around here it's more probable that it would get Toronto FC/Colombus Crew bad. No playoffs for a couple of years with attendance in the low to mid 10,000s. Everyone runs away except the hardcore, loyal fan base.

#2 is the way to go! I can tolerate a losing team as long as that team at minimum puts up a fight and loses with exciting football (think Houston Oilers). That's why I'm not too keen on an assistant getting a promotion or some other MLS retread coach coming in here and giving us a lamer version of MLS ball. Need a 21st century, MLS 3.0 coach for the new MLS 3.0 league.

CeltTexan repped this.
  23. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Names?

24. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    I tuned in late to this one. I think Dom jumped the shark this season. Not that he doesnt care or that he's not trying. But just that he's been doing the same things in the same places for too long. Whether its totally on Dom, or the owners or Canetti or whomever. This team, this season, felt wrong somehow almost from the beginning and I had almost no faith in Dom's ability to turn it around.

Its one of those times when SOMETHING has to change. You can't trade the entire roster, so you change coaches. Like everyone else, I find that scary. But I'm with Rey on the concept of promotion from within. I hope they don't do it. I love Captain Wade, always have. But I fear Wade, or Onstad would be "Dom 2.0."

As for Hanley, he hasn't even been able to teach Tally how to keep the friggin ball inbounds on a goal kick!!! No thanks!

25. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Darrell Lovell Twitter:

Statement from Chris Canetti on Chronicle report 're Kinnear and SJ: At this point in time we do not have a comment on this situation.....
    Canetti cont: Dominic's an important part of our org who is greatly respected by us and others around the league. Our focus is on winning...
    1:33pm - 27 Sep 14

Canetti cont: tomorrow and continuing our quest to make the playoffs.

Doesn't exactly sound like a strong denial. There's something to this. Not even a "Dominic is under contract to the a Dynamo thru the 2015 season".

Hydro repped this.