The Emre Racism Accusation(s) Thread

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by tigerdave, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Butt is most likely going to say he didn't hear Emre utter anything racist. I hope they resolve this behind the scenes and give Emre a chance to come clean without ruining his career. I still think he's gone at the end of the season though.

2. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all over. I would wager that Emre apologized the Everton players accepted and the whole matter was swept under the rug. Hopefully tyhis is the last we hear about this matter in regards to Emre.

3. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    So are you saying he isn't innocent?

4. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Accept that he is.

I won't hold my breath for any apologies from the twats on this site who had already hung drawn and quartered him.

5. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The FA is farcical, and tends to sweep things under the rug but unless there are further incidents, then we more or less have to take it at face value. There's a difference between innocent and not guilty, but we can't know which Emre is unless the situation presents itself another time or two. You can't be misunderstood several times, is my opinion on it, but I'll reserve judgement until/unless that comes about. I'm just glad this is over and hopefully Emre can devote his full attention to football until the end of the season now that this is done.

6. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    I've been saying this whole time I thought he was innocent.

There were posters that convicted him right from the start, but we don't need to get into names and such...

7. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I don't think he's innocent but I don't think his career should be ruined either.

8. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    How isn't he innocent? They didn't prove he was guilty, and with racism being given the heavy hand nowadays I think he would have been hit hard if it was true.

9. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's entirely possible he did it, but they didn't have enough evidence to be certain beyond reasonable doubt he did it. Not equating the n-word to murder, but that's how OJ got off. I'm not saying he's guilty, but he isn't necessarily completely innocent just because the FA said there was no smoking gun. Like I said, I personally will reserve judgement until it happens again. If it doesn't, then I'll chalk it up as the misunderstanding that he and his agent say it was.

10. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read the statement from the FA they didn't say he was innocent they said it could not be proven. There is a difference ask any lawyer ....hell ask OJ.

Sorry but five different players have made statements either to the press or the FA that pointed to Emre making racist remarks and I highly doubt everyone made it up. I said it a month before the hearing that this would be resolved behind the scenes and that looks to be the case so that's good enough for me.

11. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha! I win again! :p

12. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    So they can't prove he's guilty. I know technically it doesn't mean he was innocent but he's not convicted of anything and he's not being punished so he's ok in my book. I thought everyone was a little too quick to pounce on him and it actually made me smile when I saw he was found "innocent" of the charges.

5 players? I remember Bangura, Diouf, Yobo, and Howard. Who was the other? Not to mention that Bangura and Diouf came out after Emre had already been charged with the abuse at Everton. Like I said earlier in the thread I think they were looking for a little ink in the rags.

13. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that (you posted first :p ) and I think it's totally relevant in this case. Lee Bowyer or Craig Bellemy also come to mind when discussing varying degrees of innocence or guilt.

My feeling in this matter are obviously very strong due to my background but as far as I'm concerned the case is closed and Emre remains a Toon player.

14. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lescott complained to the game officials but didn't make an official statement to the FA.

15. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Well said.

sincerely
    iwa

16. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was relieved when I heard, frankly. It doesn't totally clear him as he'll have to walk on eggshells for the rest of his career in England, probably (which will be eight more games, I suspect), but I just reserve the right to condemn him if it happens again.

17. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing in this article suggest innocence and wtf would anyone owe you an apology? :rolleyes: If anything you owe me and everyone on Yanks Abroad an apology for your blatant disregard of all the facts in this case and for this dumb ass post.

If you substitute Emre with say Lee Bowyer and the five black players with Muslim and Turk players, and instead Muslims were insulted, how many people on this board would be singing a different tune? IWA?

18. mplsTOON

mplsTOON Member

Apr 25, 2006
    @ St James Park
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Firstly, He was innocent until proven guilty. According to the FA they cannot prove he said anything. The only proof given by his accusers is the evidence of heresay and would need a quorum (more than three in one incident) to decide if guilt is even plausible. Not if he's guilty mind you, but to see if their statements can be considered truthful.

Secondly, from a lot of posts, he was guilty from the moment of accusation, not soley because of his "Alleged" comments but because his "proclivity" for the comments. He Turkish! He's has a temper! He isn't playing hard enough for us! etc etc...

Seems like a lot of people are not familiar with the famous witch hunts and red baiting to understand the destructive power of heresay and allegations and how they are often easily wielded just as powerfully and destructively as racial epithets often to a greater effect.

Seriously the hypocrisy of some of the posts here are mental. I almost expected a lynch mob or a crowd of pitchfork weilding maniacs screaming to burn the witch because "I heard from someone who read it somewhere from someone else who was there that he turned him into a newt once a few weeks ago..."

Racism is not a rational issue, its an emotional issue. To discuss it, to deal with it, to fight it and to eradicate it the emotion must be removed. Cool heads must prevail to fight it, if not it just gets worse.

Stick a fork in it. Its done.

19. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Debating is one thing, turning the tables on other posters is another. Tread carefully.

20. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The burden of proof the FA set is unknown but the burden of proof rests on the accuser(s) and short of supporting evidence from a match official this was never going to result in a guilty verdict by the FA. The statement the FA released does not exonerate him it just simply says the evidence on hand is not enough to prove guilt and further more the FA is still examining Banguria's claims so he may be set for another charge. The fact that he has two separate incidents reviewed by the FA shows a pattern of behavior and remember Diouf could have brought a case to the FA as well but choose not to pursue for undisclosed reasons.

So based on all the facts presented publicly and the fact the Emre has exhibited similar behavior while representing Turkey the conclusion that I've drawn is that Emre, like Lee Bowyer or Craig Bellemay is a player that I don't want representing the Toon. Regardless of what was said he drags the team and the game into disrepute and the sooner the club is rid of him the happier I will be.

Oh and OJ was found innocent in criminal proceedings because the burden of proof needed was beyond a shadow of reasonable doubt however was found liable in civil court because the burden of proof is a lot lower. If you tell me OJ is innocent I won't post in this thread again. :rolleyes:

21. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a legitimate debating tactic that attempts show the oppositon a different perspective to the argument and/or force said opponent into blundering into a position that is obviously illogical. No offense was intended to anyone from my hypothetical situation.

22. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't only referring to that, I was also referring to Graeme's 'dumb ass post'.

23. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Fair play" said the man with the yellow card.

24. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Was anyone else bothered by this quote?

Yeah, I'm sure Emre invited all his friends over and got totally hammered because he escaped charges. :rolleyes:

The whole tone of that article made it seem like Emre "got away" with something, as if he's assumed to be guilty.

I don't like this whole "guilty until proven innocent" thing, nor do I like the Emre/OJ analogies.

25. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't really take that as anything sinister. There was a mountain of suspicion and he beat the rap (either by being wholly innocent or there not being enough evidence to prove he did it), so I think he's entitled to be relieved and perhaps a bit celebratory.

As to the OJ/Emre bridge, I only used that to point out that you can be cleared of something without being completely innocent.