The Elizabeth Warren Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Revolt, Oct 12, 2011.

1. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It's like the corn ethanol subsidy, but the Indians call it maize ethanol subsidy.

2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why was she not entitled to it? If she has the requisite amount of Indian heritage, then she's entitled to it. If that bar is too low, then take it up with the people who set that bar.

3. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You and Mr. Warmth seem to think I actually have an issue with what Warren did. My post was in response to a question about what the big deal was - referring to her claiming native American ancestry - and I posted that it was, IMHO, that some had the "perception" she did it to get something she wasn't entitled to. Period.

Elizabeth Warren could the second coming of Pocahontus for all I care. Which I don't.

4. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Are we even in agreement that it IS a big deal? Seems like Brown's candidacy has sunk like the Titanic since he latched onto the native American thing. I.e. no one cares about this issue at best, and at worst people are annoyed at Brown for even bringing it up and harping on it.

5. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not a big deal to me. It's like a lot of pointless minutae that gets brought up ad nauseum in political campaigns.

6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Warren has a new ad to counter the Brown is "for women" ad that may or may not have used paid actors for speaking roles. She basically says, "look at his record" and lists off a litany of bills that he supported or voted against, including voting against equal pay for women. In the Brown ad, he claims he "supports" it, when in fact he voted against it.

7. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I take full credit for this:

Sure, you'd think such an ad by the Warren campaign would be a no-brainer. But why did the wait until now, hmm? Yes folks, it was my idea. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

8. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not that no one cares, it's that there are very few people in Massachusetts, let alone New England that either side of the argument matters to. Massachusetts' American Indian population is .5% of the 6.5 million residents and a total of .3% of the estimated 14.2 million people in New England.

When the Brown campaign brought up the issue, and Warren's only substantiation was was the purported statements of her relatives, there was a lot of buzz out in Indian Country because as some tribes have become more self sufficient and major employers, there are a lot of "wannabes" that try to claim Indian ancestry in the misguided belief that they can get in on all those "benefits" that Indians get, of which there are very few. Indians take a lot offense to this (See Cherokee Freedmen) since what gains have been made have little to do with any money from the government, since you know, BIA/BIE/IHS funding gets smaller every year and the NDN population gets bigger via both birth and people actually finding ancestors and can legally claim tribal citizenship, depending on the individual tribes citizenship or quantum rules. If she had made the similar claim in Oklahoma, the Dakotas or NM/AZ, her campaign would be overwith.

However, with her letting the claim essentially lay and providing the story that her grandparents had eloped because of the stigma of the grandmother being Cherokee/Delaware (which is an extremely common and extremely true story in most cases), combined with Brown ignorant ass antics, she has gained a lot of support from tribal leaders, not because she is or isn't Indian, but because of the racist bullshit of conservative supporters of Brown.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  9. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Interesting, thanks Mr. Warmth.

10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention some Brown supporters, including one of his paid staffers, were caught on camera doing the "Tomahawk Chop" at a Warren event.

His voting record is reason enough for him to lose in a blue state like Mass. He has signs that say "he's for us" but I assume that the signs were designed by white men, wealthy bankers and other non-47%ers, because those are the only people he's for...

ElasticNorseman repped this.
  11. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not even remotely "for" them, but the target is low-information white working class stiffs.

12. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those were the buttplugs I was referring to

13. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Warren wins.

Will travel to Washington to meet with Great White Father. o_O

14. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was very happy to see her win. After first meeting her during the Consumer Protection "stuff" and following her a bit since then, she really seems like a good person who has American citizens, mot corporations, as her focus.
    A few years in Congress might change that, but I am very interested in watching her performance as a legislator.

15. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    The turnout did it.

And the bitter tears on Facebook by my extended family are delicious and sweet.

Classy concession speech, but very un-classy crowd, booing and hissing.

GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  16. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Nice to see an unabashed liberal get elected.

17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I first saw her in this documentary...

[​IMG]

A little bit dated because of events, but still worth a watch.

18. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having a good laugh - the GOP didn't want her on the CPA, so now they'll have to deal with her on a daily basis. Karma, bitchez.

19. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too. I'm really hoping that 6 years in Washington doesn't change her for the worse.

For those of you that saw her victory speech last night... Total nerd, right? Slightly awkward, but utterly sincere. Hell, I don't think Elizabeth Warren is even capable of insincerity. She says she's actually going to fight for the middle class everyday and it's hard to imagine she won't.

If she doesn't, I'll be among the most disappointed.

20. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I first met her on campus.

21. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good a time as any to re-post this:

22. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where's my ball-kicking voucher?

23. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Agreed. I don't always agree with her but from what I have seen she acts with the best interests of the people she is representing. Hopefully she will change Congress and not the other way around.

24. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the best things in the whole campaign season.