The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by YankBastard, May 2, 2011.

1. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking forward to this more than anything else that's coming out. Supposed to be out around November.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSRtYpNRoN0"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

[​IMG]

2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic6dKnv3WdU"]"The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim" E3 Gameplay Demo - YouTube[/ame]

wow

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpTvaAer1p8"]SKYRIM character creation examples from all races - YouTube[/ame]

i think i will create a breton (obviously british lol) seems like redguard are carribean/african, imperial are southern euros like romans or spaniards, nords are viking esque....never played oblivion so i don't know which races are suited to what?

breton warrior sounds good to me or nord

3. TxDynamo

TxDynamo Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Houston
    TES V: Skyrim

Any one played this yet? Im still downloading. Gonna be awesome:D

4. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Re: TES V: Skyrim

I've played it for a few hours. The graphics are stunning. I'm not a fan of close-quarter fighting, but everything is fluid enough to give you a good feel of fighting unlike the last generation of Bethesda games. The people are kind of ugly, but that's more a style thing. It made me chose a particularly weaselly guy as my character instead of the usual geek choice of a hot girl.

It doesn't feel quite finished. For example, if you map a key to "control", it only registers the left control button and not the right one I usually use. And the hints sometimes tell you to press the default key for the action instead of the one you mapped things to. Inventory categories are frequently hidden under the hints in the lower left corner of the screen. In fact, the user interface overall feels clunky. I like the Fallout UI far more. Actually I like the Fallout everything far more. Except the Skyrim map - it is way cool and much more useful.

Once I started talking to a guy, saw the conversation topics are ones I didn't want to get to at the moment, and tried to get out of the conversation. It instead automatically picked the top one, so I ended up taking sides in a conflict I knew nothing about. And when I talked to the second person, the choice to further the conflict was again made for me. It's kind of frustrating. Are there some sort of implicit racism based on the character you create? I've never played a Oblivion game before so I don't know who I'm supposed to help and who I'm supposed to kick in the gems.

It hasn't crashed yet. That's promising.

5. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

As an aside, what's with Best Buy? I go to two of them, and both have sold out of the PC version even though they have enough XBox and PS3 versions to construct a split-level colonial. I'd say they were giving up on the PC game market, except that it looks like they are giving up on everything. I just downloaded it from Steam.

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

Going to pick this up later today, can't wait! :)

7. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Most annoying bug so far: when you exit a conversation, people tend to repeat one of the things they told you (usually the last thing). This might mean going back into trading/training dialog boxes when you don't want to. Conversation trees are very simple. But the voice acting is excellent.

The main story is pretty cool. I'm not a sword and sorcery guy, but I'm getting into it. The political situation of the area is complicated - I bet it makes sense if you did the last game. This game has pretty much an infinite number of minor quests. You have to say no sometimes, like in real life. The quest handling system is very good. The perk picking system is weird - I wish they made it 2D. You'll see what I mean when you get there.

Save a lot. It doesn't autosave enough. Some monsters are surprisingly tough. And I already got stuck in one place - luckily it was outside and I could fast travel out of there.

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

From what I read, this universe is set two hundred years after the events of Oblivion, within a single kingdom of the Empire. I cannot say much since I haven't played it yet, but it would surprise me if many of the events of Oblivion had a direct influence on this story line.

9. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Ok, it's just my failings at understanding what's going on. It's only after conversing with the 5th or 6th person who knows about the overall struggle that I have the most basic grasp of the sides. From what I gather, there is the Empire, and there is some sort of outside influence on the Empire making unpopular policies. So people are either for the Empire no matter what, for the Empire but against the outside influence, or against the Empire because of the influence. The last part threw me because I kept trying to understand what the two sides were and there are actually three stances so I couldn't get the dynamics.

Is there any reason to pick one companion over another? I don't see ability differences (at least in the three I've come across) and I don't see companion quests like in Fallout: New Vegas.

10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

i have been playing it on the ps3...created a warrior like nord who goes round killing baddies with a 2 handed sword or enchanted ax lol

the companions don't seem especially good, sven the archer was useless and the female from whiterun (i think it's called that) seems the same...

generally kill most things with ease, except those fire creatures, they are rock solid!

11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

Been playing it for a few hours today, it's spell-binding. Some of the most beautiful visuals I've seen in any computer game, but it's as much to do with the scale as anything else.

The auroras were a wonderful surprise.

I happened to exit Bleak Falls Barrow just as the sun was rising and spent a good two three minutes just staring at the horizon slowly changing.

Another thing I like to do when I'm out in the wilds is use the Aura Whisper Shout. You can see every living thing in miles around you... :)

I've put down two dragons down so far (not counting the one you help defeat early on in the game) and was surprised at how relative easy it proved to be. I did wait until I got my one-handed skill up to 60 before I even attempted at attacking one though.

12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

auroras?

13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

Northern lights? Depending on where you are, they light up the night-sky in Skyrim.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZHZyYkr9LM"]Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) on Skyrim (The Elder Scrolls V) - YouTube[/ame]

14. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

If you come across a place called Volskygge, don't go in unless you are really high level. It's very long and involved, and half way through there is a one-way door so you can't get out until you defeat 2 incredibly tough guys.

The companions are worst than Fallout 3. At least they have some differences and could say two things. I'm stuck with one that says the same sarcastic thing every time you want to swap stuff. But townsfolk are great. I like the high populations of towns.

I finally got a house. When I got in the first time I felt a lot of pride even though it was empty and full of cobwebs. It was so annoying to carry around everything. I just wish I could drop quest items. There are some I know I will never, ever use.

I hate the trading style. In Fallout, you would build up a big barter and do it in one operation. In this game, everything is bought and sold individually. That means you can't do deals bigger than your combined money supply. In Fallout, you could easily trade expensive items even if both of you were poor.

The water effects are so great. If you think the rivers and waterfalls are nice, wait until you see the ocean.

I'm less keen on the map than before. I can't believe it doesn't show roads.

It crashed on me for the first time just now. I guess that means it's time to sleep.

15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

I need help with you-know-who's star. I decided to return it to you-know-who instead of the elf you meet at the inn, which means I can only bind the souls of lesser beings to it. But does anyone have a list of what kind of animals and creatures give what type of souls?

16. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Besides all the user interface annoyances I have, there is one big problem with the game. It's too good. It's way, way too good. It's life controllingly good. If I could install the toilet in front of my computer, I would. It really started out slow and I never thought it would compete with Fallout 3, but it just gets to you. Some of the dungeons on the outer areas are intense to the point of being emotionally draining.

This game is worse than meth and I curse the day I bought it.

Now I'm going back to play it.

17. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

I think it corresponds to the level of the creature you are fighting, not the kind. You can actually put weaker souls into stronger soul crystals, but not the other way.

With the later monsters, you have a hard enough time trying to kill them to worry about this. I just pay for crystals- some stores sell them with souls inside. I find recharging weapons to be annoying, and mostly use crystals for enchanting armor.

None of the Skyrim wikis have any good information yet. The game is too new and too big. I haven't been to most of the big cities yet. I don't even know what quest you are talking about.

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

Most dungeons seem to offer an endless supply of (petty) soul gems, which I use to recharge my weapons. I use said "unnamed" star to enchant weapons and armor. When I'm running low on weapon recharges, I just do a dungeon mission and collect a new stock with soul trap + the gems you find right there. :)

I briefly had a problem when I wanted to improve an ebony blade but didn't remember where I had encountered the ebony ore before. And I was short on some ore to create an ingot to sharpen the blade. Lost about an hour of gameplay going back to all the caves I previously visited... :eek:

19. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

I'll complain about a few more things. I don't like how some of the quests, particularly ones started by bad guys, have single tracks. They don't give you any way to foil the bad guy plan - you either do it or you ignore the quest. In the Fallouts, you had many more options to tell the proposed victim or the authorities what the bad guy wanted and to turn the tables.

I also don't like how the talking options are always persuade/bribe/intimidate, and bribe always works best. Sometimes it leads to ridiculous outcomes, like people only accepting bribes even though they know they are going to end up dead other otherwise not be able to spend the money. There should have been more specific logic for each NPC.

20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

Is it just me or are there A LOT of quests in this game? Seems like I get two to three new ones for each old one I finish.

21. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO

I have only been able to play for 7 hours, so have limited expereince, but I kind of wish you coudl determine the level of diffifuclty of the monsters by their health bar, or some sort of rank system.

I will be killing stuff effortlessly, then turn the corner and get 1 shotted by a creature. So I kinda guess there was more of a gradual system of the difficulty of enemies. I am still very low level, but I doubt I could have wandered that far out into dangerous territory.

But I do like the open feel to the game, and how it doesnt pidgeon-hole you into a class or plot.

22. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

A hint at the level is given by the name of the creature. The lowest level creature of the type has a name with no description ("Draugr") and higher level creatures of the type have descriptions ("Restless Draugr"), each corresponding to a particular higher level. But things are not equal between races, so a lowest level bear is still at a much higher level than the lowest level bandit. But I agree with your complaint - if I have an undead turning spell that works on level 7 creatures, will it work on a Draugr Wight? I don't know. You can't tell unless you go look it up on a website that lists those things.
    I'm level 22 and there is one guy that keeps one-shotting me with a long distance spell that's practically impossible to dodge. I even tried setting the difficulty level down but that that didn't help. So it will happen to you later as well.

There is a leveling system so the monsters you meet are generally at your level, but some places have special boss guys with unique names (like the place I mentioned in a previous post). Can't do much about those except run away.

23. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

which is the area full of hard people top avoid then?

i'm loving skyrim, my warrior nord is level 9 going onto 10 and i am doing alot of side quests and about to do the horn quest in the main story

lowered the combat difficulty down 1 as i kept dying as i am an rpg newb

24. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO

anything around level 5, which is where I am at. Its not full of them, there just didnt seem to be any rhyme or reason. I would be killing stuff easily, sometimes multiples, and then like 1 min later, I just just get killed by another mob.

Most games I play (mainly MMO's) seem to have more consistancy, or at least kind of make it obvious when you have wandered into an area you dont belong.

I am getting better with combat, as I have been experimenting with more magic, and have been using terrain to buy myself time or escape etc.

25. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO

That makes more sense. At least its something. But I do find myself saving a ALOT just to save time when I bump into the inevitable powerful enemy.