The Efrain Alvarez Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Rahbiefowlah, May 19, 2018.

1. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The question with Alvarez isn't USA versus Mexico.
    [That for the moment seems settled. We'll keep trying........]

The question is when the LA Galaxy, with their season on life support, give Alvarez a shot with the first team. THis isn't a youngster that's just getting minutes and hanging tough in the USL. This is a kid excelling in the USL. And not just for one game in the USL (like say Jesus Ferreira and his recent hat-trick), but consistently performing at a high level. Yes, he's young. But if you're good enough, then you're old enough.

Give the Galaxy fans something to really get excited about for next season.

comoesa and Tactical Hipster repped this.
  3. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Ferreira has 6 goals in his last 5 games, so I wouldn't say he's a one game wonder. He also has 6 of Tulsa's last 10 goals.

If you're looking for the plan for Efra, read this article that came out a few days ago. There's so much info on what you're looking for in there that I can't quote it here or I'd be posting half the article.

https://sports.yahoo.com/prodigal-a...must-make-sure-doesnt-get-away-183801933.html

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yeah.............but who were those 6 goals against?

I mean, he did score that hat trick against one of the worst teams in the USL. That S2 team didn't appear to have a clue what they were doing on defense. The only team worse than S2 in the Group B of the USL............is Ferreira's own team. Tulsa.

I'm obviously biased. I think Ferreira is a really great prospect. I've watched most of his minutes in the USL, and all of his minutes for FCD. He's not ready yet.

From my viewing of Alvarez, he makes adult pros on good USL teams look silly on a routine basis.

The Galaxy is soooooooooooooooooo unbalanced. In the off-season they need to unload a little of the veteran attacking talent, and re-invest in other parts of the field. Sell Dos Santos as a start. Open up minutes for Alvarez. I can easily see the Galaxy slip out of the playoff race quickly. When that happens, they need to give Alvarez some time.

San Jose should obviously be doing that already, but that whole organization seems totally dysfunctional.

5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He should already be getting mins for LAG.

6. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Breaking down USL team relative strengths? Really?

It's the USL. No team is going to be very good.

6 goals in 5 games is a good strike rate for a teenager on a team in FCD that could use some more goals. 37 GA is good D. 47 GF is pretty mediocre offense.

comoesa repped this.
  7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yes, because not all USL teams are created equal. Hence why there's going to be a USL D3 next year.

The teams at the bottom of the USL use the games for giving experience to a lot of academy players. Like S2. So its not the same as teams at the top of the league like Cincinatti & Louisville which use adult professionals. Apples and oranges. One week you'll play against Didier Drogba in that league, and the next you'll play against a 15 year old academy centerback. There are some teams trying to win that league, and some teams that are using it to give kids experience (which is what we want them to do).

You don't have to sell me on Ferreira. I'm his biggest fan. I'd just say the quality of "defending" by Seattle in that S2 game gave a whole lot to be desired. Scoring a hat trick against them is good. Don't get me wrong. Its better than not scoring a hat trick. But it doesn't mean he's ready to replace Maxi Urruti in the FCD lineup.

Alvarez has played well consistently against the best teams in the USL. And he's made adult pros look silly. Not 15 year old academy centerbacks. Adult pros.

8. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
  9. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    That composure in front of goal is insane

10. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. The Galaxy have got to finally make good on all the talent in the LA area. So far their only successful homegrown (imo) is Zardes. That's no bueno.

11. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    What's crazy to me with his situation, is what more does he have to do to get a chance?? He's 16, not 14.

If I would have polled everyone here before the season what good numbers for him in USL this season would be, I bet we would've settled for something around 10 combined goals and assists as a huge success... But the kid has 12(!!) goals and 2 assists in 16 games, including 2 hat tricks. He's already way ahead of that level.

I love Andrew Carleton but not even he is touching those numbers (2 goals in 11 USL appearances). Alphonso Davies debuted with LAG when he only had 2 goals in 11 games for Whitecaps 2...

The question I'm trying to ask is... What will he have to do at this point to get a look? He's doing better in USL than any academy prospect in this system's short history, yet he can't even make the 18? He's ready to contribute to that first team right now. He doesn't have to start but he should at least get a debut before the season is over.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    They've got an interim coach right now that presumably doesn't know the academy kids. And that head coach, Kinnear, wasn't known for playing teens in Houston either.

The Galaxy has scored the second most goals in MLS this season, behind only Atlanta. They've scored 8 more goals than the team leading the Western Conference, FCD. So offense hasn't been a problem for them. They have one of the most unbalanced teams I've seen in a while, though. I know Ibra is a huge name and sells tickets/merchandise. And they needed buzz in the market based upon LAFC's impressive start. But they may have been better off not signing Ibra, and using that salary cap space on the rest of the roster. Having competent defenders is actually a desirable component of team rosters.

I can't see LA giving minutes to Alvarez down the stretch while they're fighting for their playoff lives. Don't get me wrong............I'm 100% on board. I just think we're going to have to wait until next year.

largegarlic and punintended_13 repped this.
  13. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If he isn't going to start (and he isn't) I'd rather him get 90 minutes with GII. In the current lineup, the only way he gets on the field is if he replaces Ola Kamara or Zlatan, and as long as they're healthy, they are going to get all the minutes.

This would be a tough year for Alvarez and the first team. We are constantly near the playoff line and so don't have the luxury to blood young players. Also, the players he could replace are Kamara, Zlatan or Gio DosSantos (in our 3-4-1-2) and it would take a lot to sit those players.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Gio benched, but benching a current MexNT player for a 16 year old youth Mexican NT player does not put the kid in a good situation. Particularly since the youth player's locker is right near Jonathan DS's locker.

The Galaxy is a mess this year and I'm happy that Alvarez isn't part of it and is getting time elsewhere. Next year he'll have his opportunities. I expect he get significant minutes in the preseason to show what he can do.

14. TJFtbl

TJFtbl Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Aug 20, 2018
    Ibra was a TAM signing and he’s been really productive this year. Their lack of success comes from signing underperforming expensive defenders

Tom Collingsworth and butters59 repped this.
  15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    #165 butters59, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Ibra is a legit league MVP candidate. His goals + assists per game numbers way higher than Martinez and maybe the the highest in MLS history.

16. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's just not true.

Josef has 30g + 4a in 30 games, or 2554 minutes. That's 1.13/g, and 1g/a every 75 minutes.

Zlatan has 18g + 5a in 23 games, or 1783 minutes. That's 1/g, and 1 g/a every 77 minutes.

17. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Your numbers are wrong.
    Martinez has 5 assists, Zlatan has 9 assists.
    Martinez has 1.23 g+a per 90 minutes, Zlatan has 1.36 g+a per 90 minutes.

frankburgers repped this.
  18. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Zlatan was on a crazy trajectory through like 17 games, but has slowed down recently only averaged 1.00 g+a over last 6 starts. He was averaging over 1.5 g+a at one point and that was when he was in the MVP discussion.

Galaxy also had 1 loss in 11 games during that peak stretch.

Now the Galaxy stink again and Martinez has the goal record with ATLU poised to win the SS it is hard to imagine anybody else taking the MVP.

19. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I'm all for Martinez winning it, but Zlatan is a close second.

20. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, you're right. I was using transfermarkt and they don't count secondary assists.

frankburgers repped this.
  21. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    You guys never heard of sub minutes? You don't need to bench your superstars. Just rest them every once in a while at the end of a winning match.

22. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Not only the expensive defenders but the DPs too.

23. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If it were me, I'll give Alvarez a chance. Gio seems he came to vacation on MLS or has lost interest in soccer. Alvarez is good for his age and is doing a hell of a job in USL. I am sure once he becomes a regular with Galaxy, a Liga MX team will come knocking for him. And I am sure that team will be Chivas. Depends too how he does with their YNT at the WC.

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #174 Clint Eastwood, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    Yup. This past weekend they had Ariel Lasitter on the bench. He came on for 1 minute of meaningless garbage time.

You don't have to sell me on the idea. I just think that right now in the heat of the playoff race, with a team that's offensively doing fine.....................they're not going to change things up. I mean........Ola Kamara, Ibra, and Boateng all scored this past weekend against the best defensive team in the league. [Seattle tied with NYRB for fewest goals against.] They have BJ4 and Lasitter to eat up the garbage time minutes.

The problem is also that they have a lame duck interim coach not interested in the future. Kinnear's only mission is to make the playoffs in 2018.

I also personally would prefer for our 16 year olds to play 90 minutes at a USL level than short 5 minute appearances in MLS anyway.

25. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I wonder if having 3-4 American-Mexicans on El Tri will cause a locker room division. Gonzales was at least developed by Monterrey, but Efra is American developed. They will probably have 1-3 other DA kids in their squad someday. Seems embarrassing to a proud futbol country.

don Lamb repped this.