The Efrain Alvarez Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Rahbiefowlah, May 19, 2018.

1. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May 18, 2018

https://www.univision.com/deportes/...se-las-selecciones-de-mexico-y-estados-unidos

Google Translation

Meanwhile in the selection theme, not everything is lost for the 'Stars and Stripes'. Efraín was born in Los Angeles and despite being clear that he is currently a man of 'El Tri', as a professional that is not closed to the future.

"I keep doors open," he said. At the same time he said that nobody from the United States Federation has contacted him. "Nobody, but I'm always willing to talk and see things, but clearly right now I'm a player from Mexico."

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think our fans are just reading too much into all of this. I think (just my own personal opinion without any outside info) that Alvarez prefers to play for Mexico. I've read elsewhere that his father is pushing him towards playing for Mexico. Maybe thats true, and its the reason why he'd prefer to play for Mexico right now. If thats the case (or Alvarez simply prefers playing for Mexico), do we think its something USSF did wrong? I think way too often we don't acknowledge that players prefer to play for other programs than ours, and we look for something that the federation did wrong. Its easier that way to blame the federation than admit that a player prefers to play for another country. Its a shot to our pride to think players prefer other programs, but I think it might be true in this case.

I also highly doubt that Alvarez was snubbed for any camp by a bigger and better athlete. He's been a big name for years, probably the first big name to come out of the '02 year and he was always pretty physically developed. He was one of the most technical and creative players when he was playing for the USA, but he was also one of the biggest kids on the team. I'm sure some better technical players are snubbed for bigger and better athletes, but I don't think much points to that being the case for Alvarez. I also think what Gary Kleiban pushes on twitter does point many towards thinking that the Galaxy are anti-USSF. Maybe its just a conspiracy theory, but do we really think these are only his opinions and his brother is pushing back when he says these things?

BraveUpNorth, ChuckMe92 and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Richie Williams, Thomas Rongen, Dave Van Den Bergh.... how many talented Hispanic players and coaches (eg Hugo Perez) are going to be martinalized by the old white men (apparently mostly from New Jersey and... the Netherlands) running US Soccer (include Tab Ramos in that group) before anyone acknowledges it's a problem.... lots of praise for Bob Bradley though.

From Reddit:

Efrain Alvarez Switched To Mexico Because He Was Dropped From The US U-15 Team

https://www.socceramerica.com/publi...-iis-mike-munoz-on-how-mexico-landed-efr.html

The coach at the time was Dave Van Den Bergh who has unfortunately received a promotion to our U-19 team.​

SoccerAmerica:
    LA Galaxy II's Mike Munoz on how Mexico landed Efrain Alvarez

SA: In a move similar to Jonathan Gonzalez’s in January, Alvarez switched national teams in 2016, from the USA's U-15s to Mexico's U-15s. Given MLS’s close relationship to U.S. Soccer, do you think MLS academies have a role to play in steering players toward one national team program or another?

MIKE MUNOZ: It's a good question. We do. We definitely have a role to play with U.S. Soccer. We want our top players to be with U.S. Soccer, but every coach is different in terms of what they like, what they see, what they want.

With U.S. Soccer, Efra was dropped from the camp for whatever reason. I don't know if there was a collective decision from U.S. Soccer. ... Unfortunately when he was dropped, Mexico came knocking at the door and has been there ever since. It had nothing to do with the Galaxy saying hey, don't go to the U.S., go to Mexico. Of course not. We want what's best for our player, and unfortunately U.S. Soccer decided he wasn't the right guy at 14 years old, maybe because he was small, or maybe because he wasn't as athletic. I don't know. Those are questions you'll have to ask U.S. Soccer. It was definitely a decision by U.S. Soccer to not bring him back in, which opened the door to Mexico.

4. OneGoodKnee

OneGoodKnee Member

Jun 5, 2003
    SLC, UT
    This is fine. I want someone at USSoccer to know why. Is it simply a family heritage/preference issue? The country they most closely identify with culturally. If that is the case so be it.

However, I think it is pretty clear that there are systemic problems within the US program. The communication to players seems based on personalities and without any coordination and real purpose. That is bizarre. This should be high stakes stuff for US Soccer and from the outside looking there is no comprehensive plan for just about anything so of course communication, recruitment and retention has holes. I think the issues are deep rooted and pervasive whether it is social media presence, fed coverage of youth camps/tournaments (roster, results, video), a clear plan for the coaching hierarchy, and on and on. Let's fix stuff and not just write it off.

I don't think there is nearly enough introspection and action about what works and what doesn't. Perhaps there is but I feel like the evidence is that our Fed is dysfunctional and that dysfunction is pervasive. Let's examine what went wrong with Efra, what is going right with Taylor Booth or Uly and keep trying to do it better and not just write it off that it was player/family preference and nothing can be done.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    #55 SUDano, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    This sounds like a decision looking for an excuse. What camp was Efrain 'dropped' from. Do we need to start calling the same 20 players into every U14 camp from now on? Especially if they are eligible for other countries, specifically Mexico? How about a more likely, more plausible explanation. I don't know which camp they are referring to but I'll assume there was one camp he wasn't called in to. Is it because he wasn't good enough or more likely they know he is a top player and wanted to call other players to look at? With a large portion of our good young players eligible for Mexico and the fragile psyche of many teenagers and with Mexico ready to fertilize and implant theories into their heads that are simply not true, I think USSF have to rethink how we interact with these type players.
    Yes I do think we need to treat them differently and communicate with them often. We are in direct competition in a harsh real world recruiting environment. The day one of these players scores vs US in qualifying to beat us is the day I will really be pissed.

6. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    I’d find it hard to believe he isn’t on the US’s radar now.

When is the next U17-U19 game he could be called up for?

SUDano repped this.
  7. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT

So he didn't start two games, started the third, switched when recruited and stuck with Mexico despite not always starting.

ChuckMe92, ielag and bshredder repped this.
  8. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    #58 ielag, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Is this the same Tab Ramos (a Uruguayan immigrant) that brought these players to the 2013 U20 WC? Luis Gil, Benji Joya, Daniel Cuevas, Mario Rodriguez, Alonso Hernandez, Juan Ocegueda, Oscar Sorto, Javan Torre, Victor Pineda, Mikey Lopez, and Jose Villarreal.

Richie Williams sucks but let's look at key players during the 2015 U17 cycle: Josh Perez, Joe Gallardo, Eric Calvillo, Alex Zendejas, Hugo Arellano, Alexis Velela, Pierre da Silva, and Brandon Vazquez. I mean this guy chose Calvillo over Weston McKennie for crying out loud.

9. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This post should be stickied and brought up every time there is finger pointing over Alvarez.

10. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For whatever it's worth, Wadsworth is also Jesse Gonzalez's agent and, according to a Bleacher Report article, was key in convincing Gonzalez to switch to the USMNT.

11. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why hasn't he been contacted since he switched national teams?

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

Eleven Bravo and TheFalseNine repped this.
  13. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That BS excuse that he switched because he was dropped from camp is just that a BS excuse. Is he going to switch again when he gets dropped by Mexico? If he were honest he can just say he did it because he identifies more with Mexico because of his heritage and his parents up bringing. Nothing wrong with that. Not because he was dropped from camp. USSF doesn't need to be licking balls to keep someone who doesn't want to play for you in the first place. Same thing happened with JoGo saying he was under appreciated by the US and made the switch to Mexico. Does he feel under appreciated because he wasn't selected for the WC list? I bet you he doesn't and will have no problem waiting for the next WC to be considered on that list, just like he would have had to do here too.

Alvarez wanted to play for Mexico, period. He is living his dream. Hopefully everything goes well for him and he stays with that Federation even if he is rejected down the line. USSF should be strict with these kind of players and send a clear message that if you put any other federation first, later down the line if it doesn't work out for you there, you aren't welcome here either. Even if we suffer for needing a good player but that is the only way a message can get across. They are using the USMNT as a last resort if things don't work out.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That sounds good until you actually look at the squads they selected.
    For Pete's sake, Tab Ramos' 2013 U20 team was 2/3rds latino players from California and Texas. One can actually argue that he overcompensated in the wrong direction.

If you actually look at the squads van den Bergh selected without Alvarez for the U15s, they're dominated by latinos and dual-nationals.

I don't believe there's any discrimination here at all. That argument is so 2000. In Alvarez' situation I tend to agree with the few posters above. We called him up over and over and over again across youth levels. We didn't "miss" Efrain Alvarez. What changed? Well...................Mexico became interested.

When one reads interviews with the FCD youngsters that had to choose between Mexico and the US (the ones that ended up accepting Mexican youth callups have been guys like Richard Sanchez, Jesse Gonzalez, Ruben Luna, Bryan Leyva, Carlos Avilez, etc.), one senses that this is a painful decision for these youngsters. They love both countries. Invariably in these cases the family wants the kid to go the Mexico route. They're Mexico fans, etc. But the player also understands that his development and opportunity in the sport is based on people in the United States investing in his future. No matter what they do they feel like they're letting a whole lot of people down. What do they do? Some say "first come, first serve." Others go with their heart. Others think of their careers and future earning potential. There isn't a right answer.

Ultimately, this is a decision for Efrain Alvarez. Not for us. There's only so much we can do. What should we do? Keep trying....................

BostonRed, ussoccer97531 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  15. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Gonzalez wasn't convinced. He knew he didn't have any shot at playing for Mexico in the senior team. Specially if he plays in MLS as this league is regarded as a low standard for many Mexican coaches. Why do you think Osorio said that anyone playing at MLS won't be considered for the WC? (Even though he backed out because Vela is playing here)

Jesse Gonzalez has a better chance of a WC or at the International level with the US than Mexico. Specially right now that it is going through a transition.

That is why I said that the USSF should put its foot down and teach them a lesson that the USSF is not a second option if you don't make it with Mexico. Will we suffer as a whole? Sure we will, but it will make everyone think twice.

You just suck it up if you don't get called. Look at Pizarro in Mexico. Did he go crying like a little biatch because he wasn't selected or under appreciated? Nope! You suck it up, keep on working and hopefully you get considered for next International tournament. That is the way life is.

16. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Seriously! That's it? Boo Hoo, he didn't start in two games? Did he play in these games. We have to worry about playing time now for dual nationals for 13 yr olds? Has he started for Mexico every game? No one to blame here but we do have to consider that we have a national player situation that no other country has. We have a very significant population that is eligible for our stiffest competitor on our border at birth and what are we going to do about it. No other country has this issue.

ussoccer97531 and USSoccerNova repped this.
  17. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should we give up on European-born dual-nationals, that choose to play for other youth national teams, as well?

Efrain hasn't closed the door on us, even though we haven't been in contact with him. We need to let him know that we're still interested and want him back with our program.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  18. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's still no proof at all he was dropped from a US camp. Benched for a match or two by the US, well, he's been benched by Mexico more often.

19. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    And it may be that Munoz is just trying to take the heat off the kid. The fact that everyone is so worked up about it illustrates the position the kid is in. I expect he gets all sorts of pressure about this.

I really doubt the Galaxy are against the USSF, they just want the best for their players (leaving aside Gary Kleiban, who isn't even part of the Galaxy)

20. abcdefghi

abcdefghi Member

Real Madrid
    Trinidad and Tobago
    May 31, 2018
    Efra got into a fist fight with another YNT member during the Croatia trip. Neither were invited to the next camp. I can’t say for certain if that led to his switch to Mexico, but it certainly had something to do with it.

21. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #71 bshredder, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    Hey look! Bryan Colangelo has a BigSoccer account!

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I don't know about the fistfight.

But I do know that the news US camp for the 02s after the Croatia trip was after Mexico called Alvarez up.

In other words, he wasn't dropped from a US camp before he switched.

(Now, maybe the coaches told him he was gonna be dropped as punishment and that prompted him to look at Mexico. But that would require a lot of digging that most in the soccer media aren't willing to do.)

ChuckMe92 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  23. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone willing to explain this to me?

24. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Tab quotes:

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/ramos-pleased-with-u-20-progress-as-qualifying-nears

"I flew to LA in January to meet with LA Galaxy and with the families of Ulysses Llanez and Alex Mendez. I had very good meetings with both families. At the time, LA Galaxy thought that I should not meet with the Alvarez family because he is with Mexico. I like Efrain. He is a good player. But I agree with LA Galaxy. He is very young and there is no need to pressure such a young player. U.S. is his country of birth, where he grew up, where he lives and where he has his friends. I am sure he is torn. I think Mexico doesn’t worry about that, they come here and speak with anyone."

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  25. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    An Exec for the Philadelphia 76ers has, allegedly, been using multiple anonymous twitter accounts to bash players, other execs, and defend himself.

Anderson11, bshredder and Pl@ymaker repped this.