The E(nd)volution of (College) Soccer

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by GKLeader, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #26 Cliveworshipper, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017

Nah. Overall, even players ranked in the top 100 who make one appearance only average 2.6 cups, so those players in the last cup have less than a 50% chance of being in 2022.

I suppose you could argue less talented players get in more cups, but I doubt it.

2. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Overall I agree with what I have seen you write on the subject. From my view college soccer will be like the college baseball model where college will attract still attract the academically inclined elite level athletes and the less academically inclined that have not been offered what they are looking for. The facilities in college soccer are top notch, but the season has too few games packed into a comparatively smaller window to train and the coaching is generally poor. it is generally filled with guys that never were able to play at any level themselves and received what little formal coaching education they have through a very inferior US system.

I'll admit I'm not sure what you mean by 6-16. I'm assuming you are talking about players that get into a game. Otherwise I have no idea why you have 16 instead of 1600 or some other large number that represents the totality of college soccer players at the top of your range.

So assuming you are talking about players on the field, your view the halcyon days of yore is through some extremely rose colored glasses. The reality is that 15 - 20 years ago you couldn't find 10 guys in the entire college system that could make an impact a league with a few stars and a lot of mediocre players. The best college players were getting picked to national teams not because they were special, but instead because there were no other options. The national team exposure then got them chances to play elsewhere much in the way that Jay Demerit's exposure got him a chance to play. You take some college kids of today give them the same chances and some of them would make it as well.

Now you are not only getting a large number of highly skilled US players, but increasingly getting very talented academically inclined players throughout the world. Also, today, just as in the past, some of the best keepers in CONCACAF are college products. Heck even JK sent his kid to school. The biggest problem is that the quality of coaching has largely stayed static and has not increased to match the quality of player. You still mostly have guys who played and got the majority of the coaching experience in an era when players struggled to control the ball..

Chesco United repped this.
  3. Chaik

Chaik Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    This isn't true. All NCAA sports would permit a freshman to enter at 21 years old. The difference is, there aren't any outlets in any other NCAA sport to allow a player to continue playing and developing and remain suitably "amateur" in the NCAA's eyes to be eligible.

The only reason 21 year old freshmen appear in NCAA hockey is because the USHL, NAHL, OPJHL, BCHL, etc. exist and don't "pay" players in a manner that causes the NCAA to clutch its pearls. If for some reason a kid wanted to delay school for three years and play in some local amateur soccer league, he could. But there aren't high level amateur leagues out there that are designed to make players ages 18-21 "college ready" like there are in hockey. And those really only exist because the Canadian athletic structure is vastly different than the American, and the American hockey system had to adjust to not leave 18 year old Americans facing 25 year old Canadians in the NCAA ranks.

You occasionally see an overage guy playing NCAA football after his baseball career fails (Chris Weinke, Josh Booty). So the issue isn't age. The issue is, what the heck else are you going to do for those 3 years that will still allow you to be an elite level athlete?

4. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Sandon - 1 correction. I think Lichaj played 1 year at UNC.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Nope.

He went to UNC for a year but did not play. He was redshirted and then signed in England. Never played a minute of college soccer and had 4 years of eligibility when he left.

Splitting hairs, I know, but didn't play is didn't play.

6. ENB Sports

ENB Sports Member

Feb 5, 2007
    You do in soccer as some of the German guys are older as the lowest leagues in Germany are regarded as Amateur. Same with other European countries. A few years ago Sagi Lev-Ari was like 26 when he finished school and was drafted in the 2015 MLS superdraft 35th overall. He was Israeli and I believe he took time off soccer for army services which was one of the reason he was so old.

Another example is Canadian - Alex Cosmia - http://goheels.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7738 has played both Academy soccer in MLS (Vancouver) and in France and I have records of him playing over 120 games before he joined UNC although I'm assuming all games he was regarded an Amateur player.

Americans players could play an amateur career in PDL until whatever age before joining a NCAA side although not sure why you do it.

I have also been told by MLS clubs that they offer University education as part of signing a high profile academy player. These discussions have been regarding foreign players who also have the option of playing in NCAA. What I don't know is if a player signs with a MLS club but doesn't play professionally is he able to play NCAA soccer later in his career.

7. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    no, that's fair. didn't play - thanks

8. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KW United had a kid this summer fall into this, Sameer Fathazada. Actually had to quit playing for NCAA eligibility.

9. ENB Sports

ENB Sports Member

Feb 5, 2007
    I heard about that as well although I'm not sure why that was the case.

10. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only thing I know is he took his gap year in 2015/2016. Still unattached in 2016/17, so it counted as competitive experience.

11. ratmalph

ratmalph Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Can you explain the gap year thing? I understand it to mean that players get a one-year post high school grace period where they don't lose eligibility but I'm assuming it has something to do with age as well since players abroad don't always finish school at 18/19.

12. roadrunnerecuador

Jul 17, 2008

13. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If John graduates in 2018, he has until Fall 2019 for his "gap year."

That grace period exists as long as there is no competition being played. So, the gap year can be "extended" as long as there are no competitions -- i.e., can train indefinitely with a team with no punishment of missed eligibility.

So, in the case of Sameer Fathezada (who I referenced previously at KW United), he graduated in 2015. His gap year was 2015-fall 2016. He played PDL in 2016 (I believe) and then ended up playing competitively in summer 2017. If he never played competitively, and just trained with KW United in summer 2017, he would not have burned any eligibility. Now, this all changes depending upon his graduation year -- any organized competition AFTER gap year burns eligibility.

Fish On, ratmalph and OverseasView repped this.
  14. ratmalph

ratmalph Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Got it. Thanks.

15. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure there are some "other" stipulations too. I've seen and known several players who have played abroad and have become 21-22 year old freshmen. I would imagine there is something specific about being on a "youth contract" that permits those players in maintaining college eligibility.

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    How does college hockey get an exemption from this?

17. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's part of the reason I brought up the previous post (#40). I can only figure there were contracts signed that are technically "youth contracts" that are binding for numerous years beyond HS. Maybe that's the exemption?

Can't say I'm too familiar with hockey to know anything there. Just a complete assumption on the youth contracts that bypass the "gap year."

18. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    A friend of the family played 2 years at a DI school, then played in Germany for 3 years in a semi-pro, student visa status, returning after the club went bankrupt. He told me that he had 2 years of NCAA eligibility remaining, but didn't exactly follow through with that, playing 2 years at an NAIA school instead.

19. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    Why would a coach recruit someone that has not played for a year or beyond competitively? College coaches can put forth any proposals they want regarding their sport to the NCAA? Proposals are either approved or rejected. Hockey coaches and down hill skiing coaches proposed long ago the 3-4 year gap to try to make it "Professionally" before you had to enter college usually at age 21. #smart

20. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Since you seem to have the stats at hand - how many players have come out of the DA program directly to the pros with no college playing time?

21. ENB Sports

ENB Sports Member

Feb 5, 2007
    The following players are current American MLS Homegrown players who have not attended any college

Andrew Carleton - Atlanta United FC
    Anthony Fontana - Philadelphia Union
    Auston Trusty - Philadelphia Union
    Ben Spencer^ - Toronto FC
    Ben Swanson - Columbus Crew
    Bill Hamid - D.C. United
    Bradford Jamieson IV - LA Galaxy
    Bryan Reynolds - FC Dallas
    Caleb Calvert^ - Colorado Rapids
    Chris Durkin - D.C. United
    Chris Goslin - Atlanta United FC
    Christian Lucatero - Houston Dynamo
    Collin Fernandez - Chicago Fire
    Collin Martin^ - Minnesota United FC
    Connor Lade - New York Red Bulls
    Coy Craft - FC Dallas
    Danilo Acosta - Real Salt Lake
    Derrick Jones - Philadelphia Union
    Dillon Serna - Colorado Rapids
    Djordje Mihailovic - Chicago Fire
    Donny Toia^ - Orlando City
    Erik Palmer-Brown - Sporting Kansas City
    Evan Louro - New York Red Bulls
    George Bello - Atlanta United FC
    Gianluca Busio - Sporting Kansas City
    Hugo Arellano - LA Galaxy
    Jack McBean - LA Galaxy
    Jaime Villarreal - LA Galaxy
    James Sands - New York City FC
    Jesse Gonzalez - FC Dallas
    Jesus Ferreira - FC Dallas
    Jose Villarreal - LA Galaxy
    Justen Glad - Real Salt Lake
    Kellyn Acosta - FC Dallas
    Kevin Ellis - Sporting Kansas City
    Kortne Ford - Colorado Rapids
    Lagos Kunga - Atlanta United FC
    Marco Farfan - Portland Timbers
    Marky Delgado^ - Toronto FC
    Mason Stajduhar - Orlando City
    Memo Rodriguez - Houston Dynamo
    Nathan Smith - LA Galaxy
    Patrick Okonkwo - Atlanta United FC
    Paxton Pomykal - FC Dallas
    Sebastian Saucedo - Real Salt Lake
    Tommy Redding - Orlando City
    Tyler Adams - New York Red Bulls

There are few other like Kakuta Manneh who was drafted out of PDL/USDDA and never went to college there probably also a few others who went through a European or USL/NASL club before being signed by a MLS club.

espola, OverseasView and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  22. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, odds are...the player has played competitively. They have a gap year that they CAN compete competitively (in a different setting). In the end, if the player will make a team better, they'll recruit them.

In the case of Sameer, he's a quality player, no doubt he'll make ORU better (doesn't take much).

23. ratmalph

ratmalph Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Kortne Ford played at Denver

http://www.denverpioneers.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/kortne_ford_910332.html

ENB Sports repped this.
  24. ratmalph

ratmalph Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Club: