The Division

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by NORML, Mar 9, 2016.

1. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 NORML, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    Figured why not start up a thread dedicated specifically for the game. I got a feeling, some of us (ME!) may have questions as we play along much like with Destiny and no need to bog down the Random thread with the talk.

For those in the USA who are interested in an Xbox One or PS4 copy of the game Gamestop has a trade in deal running until March 20th that would knock $25 off the game. Here is the list of games that work with the trade in LINK .

So, for those who have the game whats yr early take? How far are ya? Last night I just booted it up and started walking around Brooklyn, only completed one side mission. I just love the enivornment, mood, and setting. I went down an alley and couldn't help but appreciate the fact that sounds; like my footsteps, echoed and sounded different compared to when out on an open street.

Dills repped this.
  2. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HA! I just suggested this in another thread.

</greatminds>

@Stogey23 ... any chance you could pull the Division-centric posts from the "random thoughts" thread and deposit in this one?

3. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have not bought yet...what are everyone's thoughts?

4. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotten to the post office and I've done one mission in each of the groups, along with some side stuff. I'm enjoying it so far; if you like Destiny and you like third-person shooters with RPG elements, you'll enjoy this one I think.

5. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I'm only about 2 hours in. Did the "tutorial" in Brooklyn, and have just taken back the post office as the base of operations. Although I did finish the doctor-rescuing mission, I haven't spoken to her back at HQ yet, so no base upgrades at the moment.

Feels "tighter" than the open beta did. So far, I'm really digging it.

6. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm only 2 hours in (playing with 2 friends). I like it so far, but was a little disappointed that you don't see other players around the non dark zone area of the map. Obviously, missions wouldn't have any other players, but the world would feel a little more fleshed out if you could see other users while going around the map.

I also worry a little that the missions may become a little repetitive if the enemies are all similar, the level design doesn't switch up, and the bosses are uninventive...but like I said, I'm only 2 hours in, so hopefully that isn't the case.

thebigman repped this.
  7. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A "review" of The Division from a self-proclaimed Destiny fanboy.

General Disarray repped this.
  8. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    21 hours and the game came out on Tuesday. Must be nice to do nothing but play video games.

9. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Throw in watch soccer and I'd be happy. :)

I am surprised to read you don't see other players on the map, didn't the beta show other players running around? Maybe they changed it up this way to make sure you ended up in the same lobby as your friends. Still putzing in Brooklyn, seems I can only get one side mission done at a time before something comes up.

10. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The hardcore players, like those who twitch stream for a living, are already up to the level cap (30) AND maxed out their Dark Zone xp. Funny to hear that dude (Mesa Sean) talk about taking his time. I'm taking my time, and am only 4 hours in.

11. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be on tonight if anyone wants to group up together.

Made it to level 12. Still enjoying myself so far. I was concerned during the beta that there might not be a whole lot of random PvE stuff to do in between missions, but so far that hasn't been the case. The city seems more populated with enemies than before. Not so much that it's annoying (yet), but at least I'm not going 10 minutes without a fight anymore.

Haven't walked into the Dark Zone yet. A couple friends that have say it's pretty dog eat dog at the moment.

12. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally had a chance to play this, unlocked all three areas of my base and been just running around doing side missions, hit level 8. I still love the setting and environment especially the snow. I was making my way back to the main base one time and came upon assist JTF mission, it was snowing so hard I could barely see across the street or the enemies approaching.

What is everyone doing with the gear they don't need anymore? Are you selling or junking it? So, far I've been kinda doing both.

Definitely happy there is matchmaking for all the missions, you can totally play them on your own but when ya solo the fire fights can be a bit flat. Now that I'm further into the game I hope to reach out on my friends list for some help.

Yup, went in for a bit yesterday and only ran into savages. Two times I worked with random groups to hold off an assault at an extraction point and both times was gunned down trying to place my gear on the rope.

13. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully it was just this one single instance, but I found matchmaking to be a bit of a clusterf*ck. Everything about this game makes it feel seamless going from one area to another, even between PvE and the DZ. Trying to do matchmaking tears you out of that seamless feel ... got hooked up with a couple players as I went into a mission, and it takes you back to the Post Offic, forcing me to trek back to where I wanted to be. And, since I went into matchmaking to play a specific mission, it made no sense that those two guys went off in a different direction. Got killed repeatedly by the Cleaners, and had no teammates in close proximity to revive me. And how the hell do you get out of a matchmade group?

14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm enjoying it. Only level 7 but I play with my friends and that makes the game for me

But if a lifeless experience alone which is why random matchmaking is so important and it works well

Except when the Spanish guy who has helped u fcuks off to call his mrs and leaves u fighting twice the enemies in that eaely Lincoln tunnel mission lol

NORML repped this.
  15. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After a weekend of playing I can say I'm still enjoying it. The encounters are starting to get repetitive; it seems each branch only has about three or four different types, and they just rinse and repeat. Getting kind of tired of going into sewers to guard water pipes. The protecting supplies one is also a drag, especially when you have to get to them before they're destroyed, and if they're on a second level it can take 30 seconds to figure out how to get to them.

Finally stepped into the dark zone for a few minutes, if only to get the game to stop constantly reminding me it was there. You definitely want to go in with a group. Going in solo just seems to scream "easy target here".

Haven't tried matchmaking yet since I've been lucky enough to have friends online when I play. Makes a big difference I think. I don't mind exploring or doing the side stuff on my own, but I prefer to do the missions in a group. Did a few missions on hard mode. They're....hard.

16. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    guessing it was a hiccup. I've actually stood outside of the home base and did matchmaking on a mission several blocks away and was teleported right to players/mission. Now for leaving a group after completing a mission, I don't know you do that.

17. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any time I join with somebody I always teleport to where the session owner is located. My guess is that probably is true also for matchmaking. And you should be able to exit the group by going to the group menu, selecting your name, then exit group.

NORML repped this.
  18. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My mates and I are level 13 now, and shall be making our first trek into the Dark Zone later.

I am still wanting to play, because a) I like playing rpg'y type games with friends...and b) The quest to always find better gear..

..having said that, the fears I mentioned in my previous post seem to be coming more apparent. I understand the backdrop is New York and that we are fighting humans....but the level designs and bosses (strong enemies) are completely unimaginative. There is a lot to like about the game...but it seems a little bit of a shame they didn't try and go that extra mile.

thebigman repped this.
  19. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any site where you can see the stats of your character(s)?

11 hours in, hit rank 11 last night. Coincidence? Hehe

Had a good time running that mall mission with @NORML, too.

20. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Went to the Dark zone last night. Pretty fun. Mainly because on 3 occassions we accidentally went rogue then proceeded to blame each other for 5 mins while we fought\ran for our lives. Still sure it wasn't me:D. Seriously though, it is quite easy to accidentally hit another player while fighting off the AI. We fended people off quite well, because we are at the higher end of our bracket (level 13). Helped one lone guy at the extraction, though he never spoke. Infact, that was the biggest disappointment with all the players we bumped into....we only ever heard one person speak...with the words 'I have a group of 3 incoming' (obviously speaking to his friends)..with which I said 'don't worry mate, we're friendlies'....'okay, dude' he replied. That's all in 2 hours of play in the dark zone...so not sure if something was wrong with game chat or just nobody was speaking.

21. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's proximity chat, right? How does it work ... do voices come through automatically?

22. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I read that it was proximity chat...but like I said, only 1 person spoke when we were near him, and we were right next to other players on many occasions and heard nothing.

Having said that, we did fight 2 guys who shot at us at an extraction point...and I remember thinking 'can these guys hear us'...because I pulsed the area..and was shouting tactics which they seem to react to. I remember shouting to my mates 'he's sneaking up the stairs to the side'....and then his pulsed outline turned around an ran back down.:laugh:

23. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta be careful. Right now it seems there's a group of players that wants to fight other players, but they don't want to go rouge themselves. So they are intentionally running through other player's fields of fire, hoping to get hit and causing the other player to go rouge.

It works if you are in game chat, but not party chat. You won't hear anyone else if you're in party chat; likewise you won't hear another group if they're in party chat themselves. Otherwise it works automatically. Kind of works well. If you have surround sound you'll be able to tell where they're located in relation to you, and their volume goes up and down depending on how close they are to you.

Dills repped this.
  24. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

;):p:whistling::sneaky:
    Gotcha. Haven't done DZ yet, so it's not a concern for me at the moment. @NORML and I used the in-game chat, and it seemed to work well ... but we intentionally grouped up, so it wasn't proximity.

Mach1 repped this.
  25. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh. Damn it.
    I find in-game chat to be better for me, especially when I don't know the voices of everyone I'm playing with. Helps to figure out who's talking. I think the proximity chat also works when you see other players in safe houses, but people seem to stay quiet there.