The Did you know thread. Uselss, but fascinating trivia, facts and stories

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by Excape Goat, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Don't know what you used to recognize players but Hector Moreno has done more than some of the players you mentioned (def. than Omar Gonzalez).

2. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I used my own memory! I do not know every single player ever played the game. If I don't know that player, it is my problem.

3. wm442433

wm442433 Member

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Before the Europa League final that will be played tonight, Paul Pogba has 55 matches and 5 goals in European football. These stats are the same as those of Paul Le Guen.

4. wm442433

wm442433 Member

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Incredible but true, Mario Mandzukic and David Villa have the same stats in European Cups : 77 matches/ 27 goals.
    And Krasimir Balakov has the same numbers as Ilie Balaci : 38/ 7.

5. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'm quite certain this is true.
    With Russia having 'inherited' the footballing history of the former Soviet Union, the recent international friendly between Chile and Russia (1-1) on June 8 was the first time the two countries met since that infamous 1973 World Cup qualifier in Santiago when the Soviets were a no-show for political reasons. 44 years later.

Gregoriak repped this.
  6. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Very brief trivia in the newspaper:

In 2000 at the European Championships the men's of Germany achieved their worst result in 32 years on Dutch (and the preceding two games on Belgian) soil.

In 2017 at the European Championships the women's team of Germany achieved their worst result in 22 years on Dutch soil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Women's_Championship

:geek:

(will not increase the chance to host another tournament in the future; corrupt sports politicians don't forget this)

7. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It got me thinking after writing about the USA in the 1990.WC Finals. Who is the last real amateur player to have played in the WC Finals? When I mentioned "real" amateur player, I am excluding players from the former Warsaw Pact who played for their clubs with "amateur" status. Claudio Reyna at USA 1994?