The Did you know thread. Uselss, but Fascinating historical facts and stories)

Discussion in 'History' started by Excape Goat, Jan 2, 2006.

1. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Everything here is graded on the curve....you're good! :)

NickyViola repped this.
  2. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  3. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    There were no depiction of Genghis Khan.

According to Jami al-tawarikh, Genghis Khan had red hair and green eyes. I did some googling around the internet. The topic is too confusing, but I am not surprised. The Mongols had been fighting with everybody before Genghis Khan,

4. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    A day on Mercury (time for planet to do a full spin around its own axis) is longer than a year on Mercury (time for it to do a full lap around the Sun).

I don't know why but I never conceptualised this as even being possible until I was told.

crazypete13 repped this.
  5. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    :eek:

6. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    since when is photoshop a fascinating historical fact?

crazypete13 repped this.
  7. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    De Nile. :)

Excape Goat repped this.
  8. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wikipedia has an alleged portrait of him. But it is wiki.

The Mongols did most of their fighting among themselves.

10. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I do not know which portrait you are talking about, but his "official" portrait was commissioned by his grandson Kublai Khan under the Yuan Dynasty many years after his death. The portrait was created to look more "Chinese".

11. Athena16

Athena16 Red Card

Jun 29, 2016
    Club:
    AC Milan
  12. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    For Operation Opera or Babylon:

The F-16 fights were originally built for Iran, but the delivery was canceled due to the 1979 Revolution in Iran. The planes were then offered to Israel.

En route to the target, the Israeli planes crossed the gulf of Aqaba. Unknowingly, the squadron flew directly over the yacht of King Hussein of Jordan, who was vacationing in the Gulf at the time.[70] Hussein witnessed the planes overfly his yacht, and noticed their Israeli markings. Taking into account the location, heading, and armament of the jets, Hussein quickly deduced the Iraqi reactor to be the most probable target. Hussein immediately contacted his government and ordered a warning to be sent to the Iraqis. However, due to a communication failure the message was never received and the Israeli planes entered Iraqi airspace undetected.

NickyViola repped this.
  13. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    i don't know British politics so I never heard of Julian Amery.

He was a leading member of the Conservative Party. His father-in-law was former Prime Minister Harold MacMillian..... Julian Amery married his daugher in 1950. From 1950 onward, he was a member f the Parliament for 39 years.

However, Julian's brother John was the founder of the British Free Corps..... what is that? It was the Waffen SS unit for British volunteers serving Hitler. After the War, he was executed for treason in 1945. That, however, did not affect the career of his brother Julian.

NickyViola repped this.
  14. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Hermann Gorring became a pilot for an aerobatic team after the WW1. He was a star in Sweden, etc. However, he became a pilot for hire. During the winter of 1920–1921, he was hired by Count Eric von Rosen to fly him to his castle from Stockholm. Invited to spend the night, Göring may at this time have first seen the swastika emblem, which Rosen had set in the chimney piece as a family badge. There he became acquainted with the sister of von Rosen's wife, Carin von Kantzow. Carin would become Gorring's wife.

Eric von Rosen had been using a swastika as a personal owner's mark. He originally saw the symbol on runestones in Gotland, while at school. Knowing that the symbol signified good luck for the Vikings, he utilized the symbol and had it carved into all his luggage when going on an expedition to South America in 1901. Being a friend of Finland, he gave the newly independent state an aircraft, which signified the beginning of the Finnish Air Force. The aircraft, a license manufactured Morane-Saulnier MS Parasol/Thulin D, was marked with his badge, a blue swastika on a white background. The Finnish Air Force adopted this roundel as their national insignia.

Eric von Rosen's mother was Ella Carlton Moore of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, a descendant of the Winthrop family. His brother Count Clarence von Rosen was also the first chairman of the Swedish Football Association. In honour of his name the champions of Swedish football was each year between 1904 and 2000 rewarded the von Rosens pokal (English: von Rosen's trophy). However, in the year 2000, after the "re-discovery" (it was news in the early 1920s) of Eric von Rosen's wife's sister had married the infamous Nazi leader Hermann Göring, the trophy was replaced by Lennart Johanssons Pokal.

15. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    [​IMG]

I found a copy of Tom Clancy's "Hunt for Red October" and started to read it. I have seen the movie, but never read the book. At the beginning of the book, the politicial officer(KGB officer) killed in the beginning of the book was named "Ivan Yurievich Putin". I did not think Clancy named the character "Putin" after Vlaldimir. I thought that was "interesting", but really "so what"! Putin must be a common surname, I thought.

I was only curious to know if "Putin" surname was common when I googled "surname" and "Putin" earlier today

I found this link from Pravada.

http://www.pravdareport.com/history/31-08-2016/1528-putin_genealogy-0/

I do not know if I could trust Pravada. One this thing for sure is that they would probably know if the surname "Putin" is common or not. It said no one else was named Putin on the world-wide web.

All Putins from wikipedia were released to Vladimir.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putin_(surname)

So how did Clancy come up with name "Putin"?

The book was written in 1984 . According to wikipedia, Vlaldimr was serving in the KGB observing foreigners in Leinngrad. He was not a public figure. The CIA might have opened a file on him, but Clancy certainly did not have assess to it. The book was his first book. Later, Clancy would be respected by the intelligent community, the miliarty, etc. But in the early 1980's, he was selling insurance when he wrote the book.

roby, NickyViola and HerthaBerwyn repped this.
  16. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    If I told you I'd have to......you know!!! :ninja:

Excape Goat repped this.
  17. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    The draft still said "Put in name here" and the typist was tired...

18. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I hate auto spell--check.

19. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I just saw the news about Trump. I know why Reagan skipped one dinner and I probbaly could guess Nixon's reasons.

I am curiosu to know why Jimmy Carter skipped the White House Correspondents dinner in 1978 and 1980?

20. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  21. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    1980's pretty obvious isn't it? 78 he toured SA about that time, and Castro was sending lotsa people he didn't want to feed anymore to Florida. I forget exactly when the dinner was, but he had a lot of stuff going on; the Camp David meeting must have been being put together then, too.

Excape Goat repped this.
  22. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    America Has Been At War 93% of the Time – 222 Out of 239 Years – Since 1776
    http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2015/02/america-war-93-time-222-239-years-since-1776.html

Actually, the blog counted "Proxy War in Afghanistan" from 1978 and 1982. I did not recall any actuall fighting involved American troops or Americans. I knew CIA sent stuffs there, but it should not count behind the scene fightings. I also was not sure about the years before Pearl Harbor. American volumteers were fighting in both Europe and Asia. I do not think Washington was directly involved, but if they counted the proxy war in Afghanistan. This was actually Americans shooting at the enemies. I also did not know enough about Banana Wars.

NickyViola repped this.
  23. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Listed
    1810 – U.S. occupies Spanish-held West Florida

Interesting because I saw signs about this when I was in Louisiana this past fall and, since I knew nothing about it, I googled it at that time.

I don't think many people would call that being at war.

Excape Goat and taosjohn repped this.
  24. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I bet you that the British Empire or even the French probably has similar record from 1776 to 201X too. I did a quick search.... the British were fighting non-stop in their colonies from the 19th Century until the 1960's. They had a break between the 1960's and the Falklands, but there were fightings in Northern Ireland, where British combat troops were used. So that should be considered a war. That conflict should cover the period from the 1960s to most of the 1990's. And then, the British were involved in all the American conflicts since then(war on terrorism, Iraq, Kosovo, Libya, etc). So the British fought every single year in the same period.

I also took a quick look at the British in the 18th and 19th Century. It seemed that they also fought non stop. The Hundred Year War should cover.... a hundred year(14th and 15th Century). I am too lazy to study the 16th Century.

NickyViola repped this.
  25. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It is well-known that the British sent its convicts to Australia. They actually did the same to North America. After a few failed attempts to settle convicts in the New World, the British sent their first big shipment of "convicts" to Virginia in 1619. The first few groups were all street children from London. They were from the age of 8 to 16. Between 1619 and 1622, approximately 300 children were shipped to work in the tobacco fields of Virginia. By 1624, only twelve of them survived. Historicans now considered them the first slaves in North America.

Ironically, the first shipment of street children arrived 4 months before the first shipment of African slaves to the New World by Captain Jope. So the first slaves in the modern day United States were actually whites.

Captain Jope who brought the first African slaves to North America was actually not Dutch as recorded in history at the time. He was a Cornishman named John Colywyn Jupe, He was a privateer. In 1619, the British was not at war with the Spanish so any attack on Spanish and Portuguese ships were considered privacy. He flew the Dutch flag to avoid the charge of privacy.

In early 1619, Jope's ship "the White Lions" joined force with Captain Daniel Elfrith and his ship "Treasurer" to attack a Portuguese ship carrying African slaves. They stole approximately 200 slaves. Then, they sailed to Virginia where they sold first group of African slaves in what became modern day United States.

Daniel Elfrith's ship "Treasurer" was the same ship that brought Pocahontas to Great Britain in 1616.