The DeAndre Yedlin thread: how high is his ceilng? (merged)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by usry723, May 15, 2014.

1. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Yedlin is defending against world class attacks week in week out. He has grit, speed, and has added some attacking flair (see Yedlin out Sanchez on his butt this morning, great stuff).
    I enjoy watching him as he is a bright spot for our USMNT. I am aware of his deficiencies but I think his upside outweighs.
    Is Yedlin now the experienced USMNT leader to integrate the bucks into the fold?
    Our new captain?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    962732615903178753 is not a valid tweet id
    [/QUOTE]

LouisianaViking07/09 and Namdynamo repped this.
  3. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    [/QUOTE]

Love it.

That move just oozes confidence. More yanks should try to "do shit" like this.

LouisianaViking07/09 and USA-Zebuel repped this.
  4. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe

Love it.

That move just oozes confidence. More yanks should try to "do shit" like this.[/QUOTE]

Enhancing the sweet move is that Sanchez looked pretty foolish on that play. I bet When Yedlin is eating dinner tonight he gets a nice bottle of wine delivered to his table from, what the waiter will describe as “an anonymous gentlemen with a French accent”[emoji3]

5. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    A real club in need of a right back should take notice of a bargain.

6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still lean towards him playing UCL ball some day.

7. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen absolutely nothing from him this season to suggest that that is a realistic possibility...

jnielsen and striker repped this.
  8. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

I don't doubt this at all

9. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Love it.

That move just oozes confidence. More yanks should try to "do shit" like this.[/QUOTE]

It’s a pretty simple cutback but his speed is what makes Sanchez fall.

10. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    It’s a pretty simple cutback but his speed is what makes Sanchez fall.[/QUOTE]

Yet you rarely see yanks pulling those 'simple cutback' moves.

11. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what? Very few players are fast enough to make that move effective. It is the speed of his movement that is impressive, not the technical quality of the move.

12. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a shame he couldn't hang on at Tottenham, or went there too soon, however you look at it. What Pochettino has been able to do for otherwise pedestrian fullbacks is amazing.

jnielsen repped this.
  13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Wouldn't mind seeing him eventually transition to wide-midfield, though not in a RAM-type role. His pace and emerging attacking flair might give him a higher ceiling upfield where his lateral movement wouldn't be a liability.

14. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally disagree, his marginal attacking flair is a bonus at right back, it is completely insufficient for a midfield role. He is a mid table EPL right back and would be a mid table MLS winger. IMHO.

15. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless of league, I don't think Yedlin will ever make a good winger. He's a fullback with some attacking capabilities. He will always be far more valuable as a FB than winger.

jjmack repped this.
  16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Depends on the system, really. As a fullback, his greatest potential would be in a team that played a high line. His looks mid-table at best, on a team that doesn't play that way.

For the US, I'd want him at wide midfield when playing against top teams, against whom he'd be attacking from deep positions. Against lesser sides, and against counter-attacking teams, I'd want him at fullback. That's also how Fab Johnson should have been used.

17. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Yedlin is right where he needs to be. Benetiz seems to rate him. The fans appreciate him. And Newcastle have the potential to break into the top half if Mike Ashley ever sells.

He still switches off at times, gets beat because he believes too much in his speed. But his team defending has grown. He is a better communicator now, and his instincts and feel for when to go forward and what to do when he does, has developed immensely.

So mid tier EPL right back.

If played as a wing or wing back I think his value drops because his defending is much better than his attacking.

Pl@ymaker and wrench repped this.
  18. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    As much as I love Yedlin, he still has some very glaring technical deficiencies that are going to prevent him from making the jump to the next level.

His crossing and decision making when he jumps into the attack is still pretty mediocre.

striker repped this.
  19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Decision making may improve with more experience but it would seem crossing is something he could really improve on with hard work.

20. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    He also tends to let in too many crosses, partly because he does not get close enough to the attacker. My guess is that he does not want to get beat by the dribble.

asoc repped this.
  21. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Been saying this since he was with the Sounders...

Something that frustrates me about him.

22. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That knee buckle looks awful. He will be auper lucky not to have torn at least 1 ligament. Shame, I really thought he was primed for a step up season. Speedy recovery hoped for.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    It was a real bummer watching his knee explode this morning. Hopefully he has a speedy recovery and rehab.

24. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prior to the injury Yedlin was nor particularly impressive yesterday (which to be fair is not that out of the ordinary for him).

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas