The DC United vs. Philadelphia Union

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Q*bert Jones III, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    in an impetus of masochism, I watched the highlights a couple of times, on the second and third goals we looked exactly like salt statues.

Winoman repped this.
  2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I like this, instead of the "matador defense" when can now call it "the Lot's wife defense."

dadman, superdave, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  3. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    The offer has been pulled and my guess that he's better than even money to return at less money that we were originally offering. Maybe he could go to some second tier league in Europe like Russia, Holland, Belgium or perhaps a lower division league like Serie B, Ligue 2, etc. But there's no way any team with name cachet like PSG is going to pay him more than a dollar and some envelopes to be practice body. Perhaps a recently promoted team in Spain or Italy would take him on a club friendly contract. Dude has done himself no favors this year.

dadman, bigredfutbol, Theopisa and 2 others repped this.
  4. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I'll bet you're right about DCU being able to offer less now. Too bad for Lucho. I wonder if his pride will force him to take a pay cut to go elsewhere, or, if DCU will look elsewhere.

5. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Thats what his agent is there to smooth over.

Eastern Bear repped this.
  6. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Is Rooney out also for the Montreal game?

7. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Yup

8. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    More time for nightly benders.

Winoman and UnitedBorn repped this.
  9. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    He needs to full his quota of drinking and being seen with random women at bars by the paparazzi.

Theopisa repped this.
  10. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He might stay if he finds out that Miami will be in the road game rotation next season.

Winoman repped this.
  11. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Apparently, the charms of Luton are more appealing.

Winoman repped this.
  12. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, Brillant is our with Rooney in the Vancouver pictures.

13. dcu n bntwn

dcu n bntwn Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Watertown, MA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Summary:
    Second half of last season, we find success playing 4-2-3-1. The 2 d-mids are critical to protect our limited center backs. We find enough goals up front with a short passing attack and creative build up play through Acosta and Rooney in the center of the park. There is just enough contribution by wide players like Arriola and overlapping runs from Mora to make it work.

First half of this season, opponents adapt. They realize if they can clog the center of the field, they can neutralize Acosta and Rooney in the final 1/3.

Mora is out with injury. We hope that with his return we can create more danger from the flanks and it will create more space for Lucho and Rooney operate. Mora returns and to our dismay, our flank play is still unable to generate enough to force opponents to change tactics. This is in part due to our small central attacking players. Crosses from out wide are easily defended. So, opponents continue to try to clog the middle.

Due to injury and suspensions, were are somewhat forced to try different formations. It is also a chance to see whether a formation change generates more offense. It doesn't. We become more reliant on Rooney and set pieces.

We get hammered with injuries and can barely field a decent team, but DCU goes out and finds decent talent to fill the holes. Kamara in particular could be an important attacking piece for the next few years.

We win the LA game with BennyBall. The defense is decent, but we create very few chances.

We lose in Vancouver, but actually create a lot of chances.

Then, in my opinion, in the NY and Philly games we have lost our defensive discipline and we over commit to the offensive end.

This game:
    We line up as a 4-2-3-1, but that's on paper only. Once the whistle blows, we are all over the place.

The two d-mids are key in 4-2-3-1 and need to be in front of the back four, most of the time. The #8 can make runs in to the attack, but he has to carefully pick and choose those moments. In this game, I felt that d-mids pushed forward too frequently leaving huge gaps.

Similarly, the left and right backs should pick and choose times to overlap/overload the wings. During this game, I felt that Mora or Jara (sometimes both!) were camping out near midfield or higher, trying to participate in the attack but actually isolating themselves. In my opinion, both wide backs should not be in the attack at the same time. This happened multiple times during the game and left huge gaps. Covering players in the back did not look comfortable with their roles or positioning.

IMHO, we can be successful by going back to who we are. We need to go back to defensive shape and discipline. We need a well structured low block on the road and throw in some midblock defending. We need to get back to occasional, situational, well-organized high press to create a few turnovers. We do not need to randomly throw more guys upfield and hope that it somehow leads to goals.

We have Kamara now. He is not huge, but he is 6' tall and is a legitimate target for crosses. So, we can go back to using the flanks and sending in more crosses. It should create danger and finally force defenses to adjust, creating more space in the middle.

With Lucho and Rooney out there plus Kamara up top and Arriola out wide, the intermittent overload by our wide backs, Rooney's set pieces, and the occasional turnover from the high press, I think that we can create enough scoring chances while still maintaining enough shape in the back (keep the d-mids at home most of the time).

It's a book chapter. Sorry guys.
    Vamos!

dadman, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  14. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Use Stieber as the creative guy in the middle.

Hedbal repped this.
  15. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've confused the DC United forum with the one for Zalaegerszegi TE FC (no really, that's the spelling of the club the internet says he now plays for)

dadman repped this.