The Dash break on through to the winning side!

Discussion in 'Houston Dash' started by Fiorentina lives!, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    Well done. Well done.

Souza was quite a pleasant surprise.

Teresa gets the 1st brace in club history, like a jefa.

Fittingly Masar is 1st Dash scorer ever.

The Breakers stream has the goofiest replay "music"... sounded like a few punches were thrown. WTF.

2. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    We turned on the stream in hopes of seeing Henninger or Noyola. Nice showing by Noyola, doubling her season total from last year in just a few minutes. She hasn't seemed to fit in, in the last two teams she was on, but now I think she's found a team that will appreciate her talents.

3. Penwyth

Penwyth Member

Mar 10, 1999
    Earth
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice goals by the ladies from what I saw on the highlight reel.

Anyone know what the attendance of the game was in Boston's new venue, Harvard Stadium?

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

5. thesoccerphantom

Nov 4, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Spent a bunch of time in that stadium. Horrible venue and horrible field in comparison to where most of the teams play. 2000+ is a good showing there.

6. weelilbit

weelilbit Member

Nov 14, 2013
    A significant improvement over Dilboy in Somerville, though. What other options would you suggest in the Boston Metro Area? My other option was the pitch at Boston University, but there really aren't many other true choices. Fenway would be WAY too expensive. And empty.

7. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    Red Stars played at Toyota (Fire's stadium) and got in 15K!

8. thesoccerphantom

Nov 4, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    There are none.
    The old Breakers did great at BU and personally, I think it is the best choice in town for the Breakers. However it is turf and shared with lacrosse, so you see those lines. When that season ends in 3 weeks it can be covered or groomed to remove it and just be soccer specific pitch.
    BC is a total dump. One sided stands that will not hold any capacity at all. Zero concessions and locker rooms are in mobile trailers. The school should be embarrassed.
    Some small universities have soccer specific fields but no capacity and no ammeneties.
    Looking at all the football signage during the breakers games gives me a headache at Harvard.

Great sports town with a good soccer following. I am always shocked so many people make the commute to Gillette for the Revolution and that is not a soccer specific stadium either. Craft has a zillion dollars and I believe his family has some soccer interests in Europe. Build a small, high end soccer specific stadium in Boston to accomodate the Revs and Breakers. He will get a great return. My 2 cents.......

9. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #9 newtex, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    That was a double-header with the Fire. The Red Stars just repeated the Fire attendance number.

JC507 and Fiorentina lives! repped this.
  10. weelilbit

weelilbit Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Agreed, BC is an effing joke. I'm a Northeastern student and we've got jack shit. Need a hockey rink?

BU or Harvard are the options, 'cause I doubt we'll get fans to go to Gillette. I'm a die-hard fan of women's soccer and it gives me some pause. I would never be able to make mid-week games and it would take up a full weekend day for me (especially when you add in tailgating). Too much.

I'd love to see a Revs/Breakers partnership; actually asked HAO about that at the Meet the Team event and she said they really don't do anything with the Revs. Unfortunate. On the plus side, ages better than Dilboy with room for growth.

11. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
  12. thesoccerphantom

Nov 4, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Check.......

Might be nice to continue that thought. Lets talk about how lucky the Dash Ladies are to be playing in a venue like BBVA Compass. Admittedely, I have been in many soccer specific stadiums around the US both college and professional. This is the best. I understand ownership is making modifications to the stadium and practice facilities to accommodate the women. This folks..... is how you run a team in the NWSL.

13. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I've only been to the Home Depot StubHub Center. But BBVA Compass looks much nicer. It seems such a fortuitous chance that the lower bowl is the perfect size for a NWSL team. I can't think any other SSS off the top of my head that has such a beneficial seating setup.

14. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, not "off the top of your head," this is the same for Providence Park in Portland, which also used its "lower bowl" through most of the 2013 season. Given the apparent cooperation between the two teams' ownerships, that probably was something the Dash looked at in using the lower bowl. Very smart, in any event -- it shows an attention to fan atmosphere that will be critical in the long run. Much better a compact crowd than a diluted crowd.

15. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Notice how you used quotes around lower bowl... That's why I didn't include it.

16. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ??? I simply used quotes because I was quoting from your post. Is there a difference between the two stadium configurations that you have in mind? I'm not sure what you're referring to.

17. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #17 holden, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    As I understand it, lower bowl is a term to describe the first level of seats, not including suits/press boxes and upper decks. Houston has a small lower bowl that holds 7,000, then suits, then an upper deck. So I was trying to distinguish Houston's small lower level from the large upper deck which is unlike any other SSS in the US I can think of. Portland, however, doesn't really have a bowl and is only a single rise (besides the boxes/suits behind the former home plate)... I had thought that was why you were using quotes. ;)

18. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, if you're in Providence Park, it does have a lower bowl. I'm not sure it's exactly like Houston, but there's a pretty clear demarcation on the West and North sides of the Park, where there is an upper bowl area (for which tickets are sold basically only when the lower bowl is completely sold out). On the East and South sides, the lower bowl is completed but there is not an upper "bowl." I think in both parks, the effect is to create a compact densely occupied fan area that is a bowl around the field, which is a great effect and provides a great fan experience. That's what matters, right, and is what is great in Houston?

19. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I assume you're talking about the differentiation as shown in this picture:
    [​IMG]
    Where green is your "lower bowl" and white is the "upper." But it's not really two levels, the entry points for your upper and lower sections are the same vomitories. They are just closing the top section of the one level.

Well, part of it is that, but part of it is also the reduced costs by not having to open and staff the upper deck.

20. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It took me a while to figure out what I was looking at in the preceding picture, but finally figured out that the roof covering over the west and north ends is cut out to show the seating. You're right that the same entries serve the lower bowl and the upper bowl. Separating the two bowls is a walkway that circles the stadium. My season tickets are in the first row down on the west side of the field, just below the walkway. The walkway (and overhead roof, which covers some but not all of the lower bowl) is a psychological barrier that creates the feeling of a lower bowl, especially combined with the visual across to the south and east, where the seating is all "lower bowl." I don't know what Houston is like but again, I bet the effect is the similar. This bowl effect is especially true taking light effects into account -- at least from where I sit. The light effects make the upper bowl seem inconsequential for Thorns games.

I guess you'd have to be there, sitting in my seat, to get a sense for what I mean.

21. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Oh, I know what you mean about the feel of it. I'm just saying Portland doesn't really have a separate upper and lower level, like at Houston. As you said it's a psychological barrier between the two, not a physical elevation barrier.

22. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have a picture of Houston or a link? I'm curious.

23. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Here's a pic of it from when it was still under construction that I feel shows the distinction I was referring to the best:
    [​IMG]
    You see how the boxes/suits (in orange) separate the lower portion from the upper?

24. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, got it. It's an interesting difference from Providence Park. Maybe some day I'll be able to attend a game there to see what it's like. I'm not sure which park I like better. And, I'm not sure it makes a big difference. I think the key is the feeling that the fans are close to the field and that the field is surrounded by densely packed fanatic fans rather than by fans interspersed with empty seats. It looks to me like both parks achieve that effect.

I hope other teams aspire to something similar.