The Czech Republic in Pictures (Video Links)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by NBlue, Jun 5, 2006.

1. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the match now almost exactly one week away, I surfed about a bit to see what I could find video-wise on the Czechs. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to watch any Czech matches on TV here in Orlando but I've found some interesting video which I thought may interest some of you as well. First, highlights of the goals from the recent friendlies:

5/26/06 Saudi Arabia v. Czech Republic
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4BeFeES9GI&search=czech republic

5/30/06 Czech Republic v. Costa Rica
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abVLgdvUXr8&search=czech republic costa rica

6/3/06 Czech Republic v. Trinidad & Tobago
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0NqN45n3tY&search=czech republic trinidad

Couple observations after watching the goals -- (1) Jan Koller is really, really big. Not kidding. He's big. (2) Pavel Nedved has a wicked boot -- we need to be sure to close him down and not give him space, even outside the box.

Next, not as if we didn't already know to be wary of Nedved, but this compilation of some of Pavel's goals for Juve was no fun at all. We simply cannot give up free kicks near the box as we did in all three of the run-up matches or it may not be pretty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhjfrzUXoHM&search=nedved

Finally, there is still hope -- its possible to beat them -- as the Netherlands did 0:2 in this attached video clip. However its also noteable that they played the match without Koller & Nedved AND missed a pk in that game. The more I watch, the more I'd be very, very happy with a single point next week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7N2cbLkpcI&search=czech republic netherlands

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Do note that although Pavel is a natural lefty, he can hammer it with either foot.

3. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CR v TnT:

That Nedved goal was pure quality. slightly distressing to see that. the Koller goals ... well Jan was unmarked for both, which i don't think will happen against the US (i don't think anyone will leave his sight). but really classy goals, all 3. they are playing good football now, that's the bottom line.

and unfortunately, Nedved looks fit and happy. of course i think his day against TnT will be a walk in the park compared to his day against US (not saying he won't have success, just saying he'll have to put in hard work to get it. and absorb some tough knocks from Pablo).

this is not a good team to open the WC against. it's a nightmare, because they're not even the best team in the group.

:eek::eek::eek:

4. The Toe

The Toe Member

Mar 30, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey bro, relax. Its not that I am confident, but watch the clips again. Koeller's goals against TnT reveal how crappy the TnT defense is. I don't think you could be more wide open in the box. Same with the goal against the Ticos.

I think this will be a more evenly contested match.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    We need Matroeni starting against the czechs just to take Nedved out of the game if thats possible.

6. O'Dubhghaill Rules!

May 21, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That penalty given in the Holland game seems like a pretty lame penalty for the ref to call, at least to me.

We know they're dangerous, Koller can head the ball all over the place. It'll be interesting to see how we handle things.

7. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you tape me playing and add cool music it will look that good too

serously they ping real well touch touch shoot

this game will be lossed of mistakes

only thing is they can finish hopfully we can

8. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's something about watching Mr. Clean and Goldilocks playing soccer together that's a bit disconcerting.

9. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not to mention that little Gypsy running around them, poaching goals ... it ain't a pretty sight.

10. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In order to retain what little optimism I have remaining, I'm starting to think that I should avoid Big Soccer until my flight to Frankfurt departs. ;) I know that I wouldn't be missed, but I'm just saying. This place is sapping the life out of me.

11. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (1) Oguchi Onyewu
    (2) Pablo Mastroeni

being a US soccer fan I am not afraid of no one anymore, regardless.

12. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's the band doing the music in that Nedved montage? I like it.

13. Sion

Sion New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    The dives by Baros are a concern.

14. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not that I don't want to give the Czechs due credit for their goals, but their recent friendly goals seem to be quite...easy. Extremely poor defending by the opposing team. I don't think the US will give them much room to move.

Granted that the US team hasn't been clicking like they were early in the year lately, but I think when it comes down to crunch time, this group of guys will make it all work out. In short, I am more than confident that the US team can put on a good show against the czechs. That's just my $0.02

15. Dogmatagram

Dogmatagram Member

Jun 3, 2006
    It's "My friend Dario," by Vitalic