The Cyle Larin Offseason 2017-18 Saga

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Robert Borden, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Post #1
    That's my very 1st post on this thread.

http://www.asser.nl/SportsLaw/Blog/...part-1-a-european-legal-mess-by-saverio-spera

In short, the legality of UEOs is usually dependent on the interpretations of local courts or the decisions of local social partners. However, where UEOs are deemed valid, it is always under stringent conditions such as a strict limit to the overall duration of the extended contract and the provision of a substantial increase in salary. Hence, the validity of UEOs hinges on the rather subjective evaluation of the overall fairness of a specific UEO in the context of a specific contract.

and I posted this
    Post #15
    Then this... all very early on
    Post #38
    As you can see, I've been fairly consistent, clarified that FIFA didn't recognized UEO unless they met criterias, perhaps I should have worded it better like FIFA does recognized UEO as long as they meet some criterias.

I recognized that generalizing was wrong and this should be viewed on a case by case basis.

But you must also recognized that some people perhaps may have been more defensive/reactive or wanting to "win" than interested at seeing the issue from the other side's point of view and keep an open mind.

2. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    :rolleyes: :whistling:

3. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Especially when your point was lost along time ago.

4. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    I should have known. Ignore the context of the rest of the posts and take a phrase literally.

5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread has jumped the shark.

jason1551 repped this.
  6. jeffclimbs

jeffclimbs Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Time to shut this thing down. The Larin saga is over but the bloviating may never cease.

JasonMa and PTFC in KCMO repped this.
  7. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    I think you are confusing the handful of Adidas paid deals with the way MLS deals with players on their own dime. According to this article on Martin Del Campo’s MLS contract voided stated that " Multiple outlets have reported that Khiry Shelton, the No. 2 overall pick in the draft by New York City Football Club, was the only one of those to have signed a guaranteed contract.."

One of the big issues the players had with MLS is that the league would terminate contracts during the season when it was next to impossible to find another team. . MLS teams are very loathe to sign guaranteed contracts in order limit hit on Salary cap (which as you should know isn't the case with GA).. As result they compromised to a contract guarantee date.

8. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Correct. And some of those that are signed get their contracts voided. Del Campo which I just posted was one. You'd think the league would do a better job of vetting these,but the talent evaluations and scouting are exactly top rate.

JasonMa repped this.
  9. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    There are pretty solid grounds. I'd say many on this thread were shocked at the contract Larin reportedly received. That is because many here assume players are paid close to what they are worth and don't really understand how successful MLS has been to limit salaries of domestic players.

For along people on these boards argued that players like Doyle and Gashi were paid because they were much better than domestic players. Go back a few years and you'll read clueless people arguing MLS players were all worth less than $100K because they were all so terrible. Now these same terrible players like Wondo are outscoring a league full of guys who are paid 7 figures.

Take the pedants team. In whoscored ratings, Badji was rated far better than either their market waged foreign signings but was paid $65K because single entity that come up through the US path. The disparity of contracts vs performance is quickly corrected in other parts of the world.

10. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    You can't accuse me of hating MLS as easily as you dismiss Borden because he writes cogent responses that are critical of the league people in here follow . I'm could care less about the CPL. Not only do I go to games, when the Galaxy played at a more reachable location I had a season ticket plan.

As I wrote earlier, if Orlando treated Larin the was they treated Omar, Landon or Keane etc,I doubt he behaves in a similar way. Galaxy didn't want to lose Magee, but the realized he well for them and they found a way to get him paid. I'm sure Kraft was absolutely ticked off at the Galaxy for giving a domestic player - a defender even - to get a DP level raise.

11. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Asked and answered.

12. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    #787 Kombucha, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    The labor market in world soccer is incredible fungible with the enormous amount of leagues and options throughout the world. In short players have options and MLS doesn't have a monopoly on soccer employment.

The fact that MLS signs all these players to contracts pretty much shows that the combination of benefits (pay, steady paycheck, cost of living, living in desired geography, etc) outweigh other options or they would seek employment elsewhere as it isn't as if options are limited.

The fact that an American could potentially make more raw dollars in Turkey or Israel or Ukraine doesn't mean they are underpaid. If they were underpaid then they would take those positions, but they don't, so they obviously feel that the package of benefits they receive from playing in MLS outweighs the options available to them elsewhere.

Sure. There are plenty of individual cases of both underpaid and overpaid players in MLS, but as a whole the league wouldn't be signing players if the benefits to the players were not competitive.

13. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    I'm not sure you understand the concept of fungible or even entry level economics. Just because two players might play at soccer at an identical level, the players themselves arem't necessarily fungible. If players were fungible, agents wouldn't care about your passport and El Salvadorian kids from LA would have the opportunities as Mexican kids from LA. But while this fungible fantasy world might exist in your head, it doesn't exist in the real world actual soccer players live in.

While the MLS first division monopoly north of the Rio Grande has little impact on players moving from outside the country that can sign with a hundred or more first division teams on their continent. However the combination of Pacto de Caballeros and single entity means North American based players,their families, spouses, girl friends have to be willing and able to travel to another continent to get paid. When you add employment restrictions, unfamiliarity, lack of contacts and other barriers north american based players face, one can easily understand how MLS with their ability to control employment to just one option, is able to use this power to suppress wages of North American based players.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  14. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there proof that the average MLS American/Canadian player is having their wages suppressed? Is there some other league that is willing to take in these average players that pays heaps more money? If so why isn't their a flood to said league? Why don't teams from that league pay transfer fees to acquire these players? Why aren't free agents flocking in droves?

JasonMa repped this.
  15. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    This is a benefit that MLS offers.

By accepting less money from MLS a North America player doesn't have to uproot their family, move to another country, learn a new language, take a career risk, etc.

I could make more money if I uprooted my family as well, but I accept less because the combined benefit of staying where I am out now is worth more than the extra money I could make by doing so.

Nobody is conspiring against me to hold my wages down...if you take risks in anything the reward can be greater, but it is also risky. People pay less for the safe options.

JasonMa, PTFC in KCMO and jaykoz3 repped this.
  16. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Why would it be a slap in the face? The 15k was put in the contract before even a single goal was scored. The type of increase you are talking about require a new contract.

17. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They should have offered him a new contract or sell him last year, that's what everyone is saying.

Orlando keeping Larin at that price and not selling him (pre-DUI might I add) is the slap in the face. That's greediness at it's worst and sends a really bad messages to top youth players.

18. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Uh, no. Orlando have been willing to negotiate a new contract since early 2017. That's SOP for talented youngsters in MLS.

19. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    That’s what YOU are saying.

1). They did negotiate a new contract. Terms were not met. Larin felt he was worth more to the club than Orlando thought he was worth. That doesn’t make Orlando evil or Larin greedy. That is business.

2). Orlando is under NO obligation to offer a new contract. They are also under no obligation to sell Larin. If hey wanted too, they could have made him stay there and play out the length of the contract.

That is how a soccer players contract works. A team pays a player an agreed upon amount of compensation to play games for said team for a set amount of years.

Both parties agreed that if the club felt Larin was valuable enough to the team, they could unilaterally extend the contract for another season for a predetermined, and agreed upon prior to the signing of said contract, compensation increase.

You seem to not have the first clue how these things work.

JasonMa repped this.
  20. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Orlando = Epic win, I get it :rolleyes:

21. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    No. Not win.

Business. No more. No less. Business.

22. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'll take you're not a business owner so let me tell you this, your business image and the perception people have of your business is even more important.

The Orlando-Larin feud sent a bad message to potential very good young players out there and it messes with people's perception of the league. The league can't be happy about that.

Business is business, but being sloppy at it can hurt you in other ways. That's why Orlando-Larin isn't the norm but the exception

23. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    if It isn’t the norm why are you continually arguing like it is?

Are you a troll or just stupid?

24. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can almost guarantee you that no young players saw what happened to Larin and has a second thought about it.. NYCFC sold Jack Harrison to ManC and Montreal sold Ballou Tabla to Barcelona (B, but that'll be ignored). Those are just as likely to impact someone's opinion on the league as Larin's saga.

25. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Then stop quoting me. Grow up.

26. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I hope so and I know that as this is the exception, not the norm.

However, if I had to choose between Orlando and take my chances overseas with Larin level of talent, I'd take my chances. It's not even Canadians or Americans that worries me.

MLS wants to be attractive to the point where you have good young talented players overseas choosing the United States & MLS. I'd hope that'd be the endgame for the league if it's aspiring to be a true world top league. Ultimately, its good for US soccer as a whole.

Stuff like this is unnecessary in the grand scheme of things. All ownership needs to see things the same way and work together for the ultimate goal which I believe they do.

Bad/incompetent ownership is the main reason why so many US/Canadian league folded until MLS became a success. Orlando wanted to go the whole way legally and MLS had to intervene to protect its interest. Owners have to do what's right for the league and I'm not sure Orlando did that in this ordeal.