The Cristiano Ronaldo Thread: Part X. [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by GoodDead, May 2, 2010.

1. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Why inder?

2. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three reasons:

1. their new owner is unbelievably rich and wants to make a splash.

2. If I were Argentinian and spent a majority of my life in Barcelona, there's only a handful of cities I'd want to live in with climate, food, sites, endorsement opportunities. Milan jumps out to me. Other options would be Lisbon, but he ain't going to play in Portugal. Paris? Maybe. England and Germany don't seem like fits weather wise. Turin...maybe, so Juve would be in play. So comes down to Inter and Milan. Gut feeling says Inter

3. He's 3/4 Italian descent

artielange84 repped this.
  3. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ronaldo will either retire at Madrid or have a stint in either LA, NY(unlikely because of the Man City connection) or if they get a team Miami.

I would like to see him have one more season at United as a goodbye gift but it's unlikely. his legend status there would surpass all other united greats IMO if he does that.

artielange84 and nbstriker8 repped this.
  4. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point he's right behind the Bobby Chalrton's, Georgie Bests, of united history. Put him along with Di Sefano and Puskas at Madrid, that's quite the freaking career

5. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If cr7 repeats the CL back to back I think it gives him another advantage over Messi on top of the major international trophy

Problem is it looks like they will play juventus and I honestly see juventus winning the final. Ronaldo may get 2-3 chances to score and if he is inspired and finishes them it could decide who wins .

6. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It blows my mind that buffon has 60 shutouts in the champions league but has never won. Ronaldo vs Buffon will be a joy to watch for a final

SCP_16 repped this.
  7. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Crazy statistic! Didn't know that. Regardless, it's anyone's game in the final. Would love to see C-Ron win it.

8. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same man. As much as I can't stand Madrid, I really don't like Italian football

9. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #1209 ---Z---, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
    hopefully Real Madrid wins with an epic CR7 display

I wanna hear all the butthurt tears flowing from Woodbridge, Ontario and be reminded of July 10,2016

10. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    All you do is blow Messi

I hope Real wins and Ronaldo wins ballon dor so you cagou

Then when Portugal wins WC and Argentina cagous we'll kick your bitch ass off this forum

JoseEmidio, verde-rubro and SCP_16 repped this.
  11. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Lol

12. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell me how you really feel...

Both are favorites of mine, & I perfer one over the other, yes, but I will never, ever, wish Argentina to win over Portugal.

13. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    and why? what the hell has Messi done for you?

Ronaldo is the greater player

Messi is a Maradona lite who scores more goals but plays for better clubs (i.e. Barcelona with core of Spain all conquering NT, as opposed to...NAPOLI)

Cristiano Ronaldo, no one has seen his will power, determination, power, heading ability , all around altheticism , two-footedness and complete skill set.

Cristiano Ronaldo is the complete attacker, there will never be anyone else like him.

If Real Madrid wins back-to-back the debate ends forever LOL

sadly I think they will ******** it up and Juve will win.

14. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    With Real vs Juve, It's basically the Real vs Atletico Champions League final all over again in terms of tactics, but i can see Dybala causing Real all sorts of problems.

CR7 has to win this year. If Real Madrid win this year they won't feel such an urgent need to win next year and they should get eliminated early. I don't want CR7 going deep into the Champions League in the same year as the World Cup. It's too risky. I want him rested and injury free. He must win this year, and throw the Champions League away next year.

artielange84 and verde-rubro repped this.
  15. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not going to debate anymore. You've summed up Ronaldo perfectly. Why I give the little guy the edge is that, IMO, Ronaldo can play 2 positions and be the best player on the pitch, Striker and Winger. Messi can play 3 and be the best player on the pitch, Stiker, Winger, number 10. That's what it boils down to, for me.

I'm around 30. I didn't watch Maradona. I didn't watch Pele. I didn't watch Cryuff. I've seen Figo, Zidane, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Henry, Totti, del Piero, etc and CR and Messi are better than anyone I've watched. I shouldn't compare them to what I haven't seen.

16. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    and the peak of your life achievements is being mod on BS.

Aveirenses is mocking you as we speak

17. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :ROFLMAO:

So I shouldn't have this on my résumé?!

SCP_16 and vilafria repped this.
  18. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    You two should get a room , sound like an old married couple. :)

nbstriker8 repped this.
  19. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So are the Madridistas going to celebrate La Liga in protest? They were all against Cristiano and Zidane and wanted them out after they lost El Clasico.

Los Galacticos? More like Los Plasticos

JoseEmidio repped this.
  20. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I liked the whole "Zidane didn't lose in 40 something games but he is still not that great" bandwagon too.

21. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean I didn't think he was gonna be a great coach but in less than 2 years he's won a league (for the first time in 5 seasons) and back to back champions league finals.

I mean the team is stacked but something's gotta be said for his man management at the bare minimum. Everyone seems happy on that team.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  22. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think they will win the CL final

the main factors:

1. their deep bench can/will sway the game in their favour if they need an equalizer or late winner
    2. Ronaldo is fully fit, as opposed to previous CL finals
    3. Luck is always in Real Madrid's favour in European Cup Finals, they have only lost a couple of them in their history.

If Juve wins, I wouldn't be surprised if Buffon wins ballon dor. people are sick of Messi and Ronaldo winning it and the Italian media has a large influence in the sport, just like when Cannavaro won in 2006.

23. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shows what a joke the award really is. Buffon has been great, sure, but has he really been better than Leo Bonucci, Khedira or Dybala?

Hell, as great at Ronaldo has been this year, Modric has been Madrid's best player.

It's either Ronaldo or Messi. Whoevers team has gone further. This year Ronaldo.

24. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If Lionel Missy wins the Copa, coupled with his golden boot, they might try to sway it his way. Dude missed a fabricated penalty yesterday and almost missed another. Folds under pressure. Mentality is f*cking crippled compared to C-Ron.

25. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #1225 ---Z---, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
    not necessarily

the award now incorporates journalists, so that changes the game a bit. Journalists are influenced by Italian Media (i.e. la Gazetta dello sport, which has a lot of influence) so we could definitely see Buffon win it if Juve wins. a Real Madrid loss in the final would open the door wider for Messi or Buffon/ another juve player to win.

if Real Madrid wins CL, I think Cr7 pretty much has it in the bag.

otoh maybe it is finally Juve's time to win. it is strange they only have 2 cl trophies to their name, given they have considerably more series A titles than Inter or Milan and the others and have been to several finals.