The Crewzers NO MAS?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by THOMA GOL, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes indeed, according to a few of the ladies on their Facebook page.

Speak on it!

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Facebook posts, the FO is trying to go to a "more authentic soccer atmosphere". I wonder what else that means.

Did their guests (boyfriends, family, etc) buy tickets? I wonder if that'll hurt sales. In addition, a lot of them probably spent more money inside the stadium. That doesn't even include the "Junior Crewzers" and their family members.

3. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest it never really seemed like the FO cared that much about being authentic. I never paid attention to the Crewzers but if they helped sell some tickets then not sure why they are axing them.

5. cbus3

cbus3 Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 9, 2009
    Paxdecke
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like a loser, I don't have any of the Crewsers on Facebook.

1 person likes this.
  7. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Considering there are PLENTY of soccer teams around the world that have cheerleaders, I never really got the fuss with the Crewzers. And they seemed heavily involved with various appearances for the team and organization. This is pretty shocking.

8. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I'm surprised. Lots of teams have cheerleaders. The Crewzers were good ambassadors for the team and sport.

9. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The "authentic soccer experience" angle is very sweet, but come on....if it's true it's cost-saving.

Unless they're building a roof with that money. ;) A paper roof.

10. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bold part is slightly debatable, as it relates to that "authentic atmosphere".

PROS FOR might argue that 'we are in America and that's part of the sports landscape here'.

AGAINST might argue that you rarely see all that in top leagues around the world, since you know, it's about the game on the field and not the fluff stuff.

Priorities and prerogatives I reckon.

11. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And we know the trajectory there....

12. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    I never much cared about them one way or the other but they have been a part of the Crew from game one so I would think that they were as much a part of the Crew experience and "authentic" game atmosphere for a Crew game as undercooked brats and over priced beer. I have to admit that I'm going to miss them somewhat.

My understanding was that they didn't cost the Crew anything and that they were completely self supporting. I could be wrong but that was always the line I heard.

13. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then I can think of no reason to get rid of them.

While I do think the "authentic soccer experience" line is obvious BS. If they are going in that direction, then get rid of the stage and build a roof. Or some decent 2nd jerseys.

While the Crewzers being "authentic" or not is debatable, they are authentic to the Crew. And I'll miss them somewhat. Though I must admit, I'm usually in line for a drink at the tent during halftime.

14. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I strongly request that they take haven in the Nordecke, as their own supporter group.

1 person likes this.
  15. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate this.

Their director, Kelly is a great lady who's been proud of doing this for a long time. And one of their assistants, Janet, is a close friend of mine that I've known for a decade (she used to post here, actually). And the dancers themselves... for as much as people have given them grief over the years, they've worked very hard over the years and have become part of the extended Crew family. To just be unceremoniously kicked out the door like this -- I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but this is sad for me.

If nothing else, it's a couple dozen fewer well-dressed beautiful women in the tent after the games, and no one can support THAT.

16. Crew Cat

Crew Cat Member

May 28, 2008
    Not to mention all the parking and beer/food/merchandise that boyfriends/Jr. Crewzer families have purchased over the years. Seems like another in a long line of decisions from some smarmy front-office types who probably won't be here in another year or two anyway. Hell, the fan of the year award is named after arguably their staunchest supporter over the years.

Also, if they want to have an "authentic" soccer atmosphere {whatever that means (??)}, I'll believe it if FC Dallas (also owned by the Hunts) no longer have their cheerleading squad, which ironically was just started in 2009. Lamar would often refer to the Crewzers as "my girls," so my money is on the arrogant twenty-something know-it-alls in the Crew office as being behind this. Hard to believe they would get rid of what has been such a great group of supporters over the years.

Crew Cat

17. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek::cool:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Uw97lOOlk"]Carl Lewis Uh Oh - YouTube[/ame]

18. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if they got a sponsor like Pepsi or Mountain Dew, like what the CBJ have and that is why they were gotten rid of.
    Those girls showed up for every event.

19. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Another legacy of Lamar given the boot...

20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a chat with a "somewhat important" person who is involved with the team. From what they said, axing the Crewzers was the result of several questions asked on the fan survey that season ticket holders supposedly received.

As for the final decision? I'm not sure I can say who made it, but it wasn't a lower-rung, "out in two years" type.

21. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    The more I think about this the more I'm confused. Why would anyone care one way or the other and why the hell would anyone think to put it on a freakin' survey. And of all the groups in the stadium I would have thought the season ticket holders would be the ones who were into the Crewzers.

I'm all for bringing them into the Nordecke as the Ultra-Crewzers.

22. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially after they worked out a corresponding dance to go with "we love ya" sorta...

23. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would be similar to this:
    [​IMG]

Hmmmmm if the majority of people voted on that survey that the Crewzers did nothing for them and/or game day experience, well, the people have spoken and the majority rules
    [​IMG]

24. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but... but.... what are those ladies going to do with themselves without a free membership to the local tanning bed place?!?!?!?!?!

I think you guys should set up a support group. The ladies could really use you.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6bARIaMhCM"]Jackson 5 - I'll Be There - YouTube[/ame]

25. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By invite only I will have a support group at my house. It will be a safe and comforting environment for the ladies.