The Crew Podcasts Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Feb 11, 2019.

1. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So, I've been really loving the new Crew podcast, The Cup, which is produced by 97.1 The Fan.

The podcast details the 2008 MLS Cup & Supporters Shield winning Crew team with interviews with a bunch of Crew players, staff, and reporters around that team at the time. It's well done!

Given we have so many Crew podcasts that occasionally drop new news and original interview--but others that are more derivative or contain insider commentary, I thought we might have a thread to discuss Crew podcasts.

I'll include a directory of podcasts in this first thread:

Massive Report Podcast https://massivereportpodcast.podbean.com/
    Aces Radio Podcast: http://www.acesradio.com/
    Soccer Speakeasy Podcast: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-columbus-dispatch/soccer-speakeasy
    The Cup Podcast: http://www.971thefan.com/show/the-cup/
    Bone & Beam United: https://soundcloud.com/97-1-the-fan/sets/bone-and-beam-united

All of these podcasts are available in the iTunes store, Stitcher, Google Play, etc. I put in the links that were convenient to listen via a web interface.

Am I missing anything? Discuss away...

chr1st, TKyle, Ch(Elsey) and 1 other person repped this.
  2. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  3. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Is AcesRadio going to change their name?

4. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    Bone and Beam United - https://soundcloud.com/97-1-the-fan/sets/bone-and-beam-united

Though it's been awhile since their last episode...probably since Bone has been working on The Cup.

Ch(Elsey) and hardhead repped this.
  5. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As always, I will be my normal, honest (sometimes overly honest) self. I have not really listened to most of those listed podcasts. I remember listening to a few minutes of the one or two MR episodes where BS was mentioned (in the negative). I tried listening to Aces last year for maybe a minute or two. Neither seemed for me.

I have powered through the first three episodes of The Cup. I gave up, hedged on whether I wanted to continue listening after the first episode, and ultimately said that any recounting of the 2008 season deserved some attention.

Thoughts on The Cup:

This podcast must have been a labor of love by J. D. Smith. I will confess that I was not aware of Smith prior to this Save The Crew stuff. I am not from Columbus nor do I live there (or ever have) so I was unaware of his public position. I am glad he is doing things so publicly to support Crew. I am opting to listen to this podcast even if I am not a fan of every choice he made throughout the episode.

His tribute every episode to Sigi is heartfelt (and appreciated). For Christmas, Geeg bought me a pair of those Saved socks. They are nice socks, but nothing to write home about or claim angels are kissing one's feet. The colors are lovely, though.

I have really enjoyed Mark McCullers’ recollections throughout the first three episodes. His background anecdotes have been welcome information. Even when he did not remember the incident by Oughton. Speaking of Oughton, I have always been pretty mild on him, with this podcast not really changing that opinion. However, I must say you can just tell his passion for Columbus while he talks. I do love that.

I already talked about the nostalgia trip in the first episode. The second episode was nice because it gave background to the acquisition of GBS and other key members of the 2008 team. I still remember that horrible 4-0 loss in 2007 at Metrostars after we had acquired him. Traveling back from that one was brutal. My boyfriend at the time broke up with me that day. What a whirlwind.

I was hesitant to listen to the third episode. The forming of the Nordecke. Living through that gives one a different perspective. I love the telling of the TFC game on Crewsmas. I do remember the boasting stories of buses and buses leading up to that game. Not in our house. Sirk’s recollections were gems, as always. How the ********ing F!re fans would drown us out prior to 2008. I have a few qualms with some of the retelling of prior to 2008, but those are only minor details. Nothing big. Okay, but seriously Smith mentioned Legion 04? Come on.

I do not know the intended audience for this podcast. The editing is a bit.. off. Nothing against the editors or creators. I am a regular podcast listener (well not soccer podcasts). Sometimes I want more from a story and other times I think things could have gone the wayside. Nothing to detract from my positive opinion of this podcast. Just an observation.

I think overall I have good things to say about listening to it. I mean it is on the 2008 season! 2007/2008 was such a weird time for me as a person, a growing time, where I became very focused on a relationship, then the multiple breakups, graduating from undergrad, starting graduate school, meeting and then quickly living with the man I would end up marrying. And all that time I had Crew. Just a different piece of Crew than the previous handful of years and certainly a different fandom than the last so many years (well at least prior to October 2017).

I started 2008 having just been broken up with for the final time by that boyfriend. Those early months were a blur. I went to the games, but I have tough time remembering things. Thankfully, that summer was a golden one. A real rebirth. And then I met Tim in August. That September road trip to TFC would be the last one traveled by just Geeg and me together. Tim still gives me a hard time for not inviting him. The Blackout the Galaxy game was Tim's first, and he would accompany me to all the rest of the home games, the home playoff games, and then ultimately MLS Cup. So very appropriate I would met my husband and Crew would win the Cup all in the matter of months. Especially in the hindsight of how that year started for me.

In the end, I appreciate the recounting from memory from both the host and the various Crew guests. I have such a shit memory that I was at those things, always in the Nordecke or in the supporters’ section on the road, but my memory fails me for those little memories that really tell the full stories. Thanks guys.

Oh - Patrick Guldan is wrong. Hesmer was a very average keeper.

I will posting my brief review and rating of the podcast after I have listened to the entire run. I know that seems to help the growth of a podcast.

TRUJDUB21, LaMacchia, odave and 2 others repped this.
  6. NUFC Fan

NUFC Fan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Episode 4 was the best so far. Hard to remember that Sika was so good on the radio vs his TV limitations.

7. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I bet.

8. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    I enjoy the Cup since I was still in the wilderness prior to moving back to Columbus and embracing my Crew fandom for that glorious season. I'll take anything that's 2008 related that's not another re-reading of Sirk's book. Sirk's book is the bible so consider the Cup a sermon.

Aces Radio is the other podcast I listen to as soon as it is released. Inside jokes and Crew commentary in a non-serious/irrelevant way. Definitely don't blame you if its not for you. It's a haul of typical 3 hour long episodes and if I didn't have a desk job where it plays in the background, I probably wouldn't listen to it either.

I listen to Massive Report/Soccer Speakeasy/Ralph Schudel Show if the title/description catches my eye but they are more of the 'Crew commentary from other people' ilk which I get most of my fill of that from here where you can be more involved in the commentary. Speakeasy is probably the easiest of those to listen to as they make an episode when news requires it and not on a schedule. Tamest too since it's a Dispatch product and not fan driven.

Tobias C repped this.
  9. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    listening to the Cup now and you are right. Those radio calls are fantastic and I felt like I was watching. I still enjoy Dwight and Neil on the TV calls but man it could be better if Neil brought more the energy from those radio calls.

10. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #11 Ch(Elsey), Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    You are so mean.

Again, I apologize for the typos. I am really off my normal posting etiquette this week.

11. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Me? Mean? I wouldn't give Markus the wrong ice cream.

12. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #13 Ch(Elsey), Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Agreed. I think the fourth episode may have been my favorite (at this point). Smith had extraordinary source material in the EC Semi and that ECF beautiful game. The flow seemed a bit corrected on this one perhaps due to just focusing on a few things. The storytelling improved.

I have no idea what it would be like to listen to this podcast without having experienced that season. Of being there. In the Nordecke. Of seeing those goals and our team win, time after time. I am really glad I had that opportunity as a fan to witness such greatness.

Sirk really hits the nail on the head. As a Cleveland sports fan, the Columbus Crew 2008 season is one part magical and one part unbelievable. That ECF game was one to enjoy reflecting on and reliving any chance one can get. I think Smith did a wonderful job constructing that episode. But again, he had top of the line source material, and I am a huge ********ing sentimental sap.

I know we throw this video around like candy at a parade, but in my opinion, it is always a worthy watch:

Also, a couple thread gems from that time:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/is-it-time-to-fire-sigi.594810/ (Is it time to fire Sigi?, circa 2007/2008.)

Supporters stuff:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/new-kc-road-trip-info.694331/ (That was the take me out to the ballgame match.)

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/offical-crew-forum-troll-thread-for-fire-fans.841074/ and

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/official-crew-forum-troll-thread-for-fire-fans-v-2-0.841232/ (Version 1 and 2 of the F!re Troll Threads in our forums. You know back when F!re fans cared or went to their own games.)

Back when Grouchy made the pre-match threads: Pre-ECF https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/cr...onference-final-pre-game-wager-thread.839479/

And one hell of a good-time thread from us: https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/ah-screw-the-r-mls-cup-roll-call.845474/ The official roll call of BS Crew for MLS Cup created by the one and the only, FF.

13. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    A lot of names in those threads bring back memories.

14. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    I am just happy there is video evidence of when god walked the pitch at Crew Stadium. Guillermo bless us all!

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  15. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I also forgot how much I loved Gaven's goal against Chicago.

kgilbert78, djtrinidad and Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  16. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #17 Ch(Elsey), Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    I could read that stuff for hours.

As I said, I am a completely biased reviewer of The Cup podcast. I think I could listen to even the worst of the worst recount our glory season. Not that Smith is that. No, he has really grown on me over these four episodes. I am hoping he closes it out well. And how could he not? Crew ********ING win the Cup. [R]

17. NUFC Fan

NUFC Fan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    JD Smith is an ex poster, right? Smithnwesson?

18. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea. I have never met him nor was I aware of his postings. So maybe? Your knowledge base is most likely more reliable than mine.

19. djtrinidad

djtrinidad Member

May 30, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    His first touch on that goal was incredible

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  20. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    Episode 6 of The Cup, which is the final chapter, dropped this morning.

21. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Cup is really great for this targeted audience.

22. NUFC Fan

NUFC Fan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Sounds like massive report now has a new host too, Brian Phillips from CD102.5. Nice get and very listenable to.

23. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24 Ch(Elsey), Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    I am catching up on the final two episodes. This week is perfect for coverage of that beautiful day. What treasured memories.

That 2-1 call by Dwight in MLS Cup Final. No words.

Dwight could call the final result to that game a thousand times, and a small part of me might still find it all quite unbelievable.

Then and now, Garber is such a tool.

24. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was the final episode intended to be liked?