The Court of Arbitrary Arbitration - Random Facts, Thoughts, Etc.

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1076 Ashur, May 13, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017
    I have, but hey thanks anyway... :rolleyes:
    My favorite part has to be the "Doom and Gloom" brigade who were one yearly, claiming it might take a long time before getting #20. I also loved the call from some that we would need to make a statement in the transfer, which was so true and how SAF delivered on that front that summer.
    As much as that day sucked and it really was that bad, it's just a reminder of how good we had it as fans back then. The fact that we never even finished outside the top 4 under SAF, let alone no worst than 3rd. And just that we better be involved in the title hunt next season. No excuses
    But the vibe was as expected, given the events that transpired. Along when Arsenal beat United at OT in 2002 to win the title there, this was one of the days I was angriest as a United fan...

2. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Surely no one expected United to win lift the prem trophy, season after season, forever. The only hard part apart about seeing City win it was the dramatic fashion in which the Aguero goal was scored to snake past us. I think we were at Sunderland and had it in the bag after the final whistle our match. Ferguson and the players stood on the pitch, waiting for the City v QPR (?) result and when the result was announced the disappointment was profound.

It couldn't last forever. You just knew Ferguson wasn't going to let that stop him from coming back the next season and sticking it to City. He, of course, did.

These things are the stuff of legend which makes sports worth watching. I wouldn't want United to win the league trophy season after season, decade after decade. Hat tip to City in 2012, but we came back to win again in 2013. We're down now, but if we don't lose our nerve and successfully resist the idiotic call to sack Jose Mourinho I have very little doubt we'll be on top next season so that we can bring the prem trophy back to its rightful home: Old Trafford.

It's just another date in history. There are many more that are far more memorable for United supporters.

3. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Elite clubs win season after season.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Valencia won the United Players POTY. The Youth POTY went to Angel Gomes and Goal of the Year goes to Miki (his Scorpion Kick).

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1080 Ashur, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Tuanzebe won the Reserves POTY and the Sir Matt Busby POTY has gone to Herrera succeeding 3x consecutive winner Dave. Valencia finished 2nd and Zlatan 3rd.

6. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So when Bayern missed out on the BuLi trophy for 3 seasons of the last 10 they were no longer an "elite club".

By your own bizarre definition there are no elite clubs in England as no club in England has won "season after season" since United repeated as champion since United in 2009.

It's pretty safe to say that there are three elite clubs in England: United, Chelsea and City -- the only clubs which have won multiple league trophies in recent years. You could even narrow down that further to exclude City as City have not yet won a Champions League.

7. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Congrats @Ashur on the fantasy win. haven't checked it today but the last time I did, I don't believe in all likelihood you can be caught.

Very very well played. Extremely so..........

8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. Kane today (and Sanchez earlier in the week) came up really big for me (with a 165pt week). Thought it might go down to the last day. Well done for making this a contest. Let's do it again next year. ;)

J'can repped this.
  9. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Knew if I got over hauled I was done. At the same time, I felt getting overhauled and was unclear how to stop it,. This must be what it feels like to be chased down by Usain Bolt :)

Ashur repped this.
  10. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    looks like the premier league font is changing again. should be on display in the last game of the season as usual

11. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    btw the font is ugly as shxt

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gilma1990 repped this.
  13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    868771355130564608 is not a valid tweet id

Gilma1990 repped this.
  14. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I saw that yesterday, along with pictures of Pogba at Mecca and Bojan is out there with them too.
    Was somewhat confused by Shaw...maybe he's just participating cause he's out there? Never knew he was Muslim. But then I didn't know Pogba was either.

15. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Shaw is just there for bonus Iftar.

johno, Gilma1990 and sdotsom repped this.
  16. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The way he tucks into sandwiches, I'm not sure he'd be capable of a month long fast.

Sounds like he could use it though.

17. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That United (and apparently other clubs) may have been reluctant to share sports data (related to physical performance usually) about their players with the FA, for fear that the information could not be well looked after and possibly leaked. It's a matter of trust (or lack thereof) between English clubs and the FA.

19. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Good draw on the fixtures. December doesn't look bad and city/Arsenal in April with a few games to end the season.

22. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  23. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    ******** me. 4 pl games in 9 days over Christmas. Dec 23 - Jan 1. That's just crazy stupid.

24. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That's not anything new. England continues to insist on this schedule. If they tossed out the League Cup, which I feel is a worthless trophy, it could go a long way to creating a winter break or even a more spaced schedule.

25. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fairly sure that's either 1 extra game or about 2/3 days shorter than usual.

Could be wrong, but it seems worse than usual.