The Continuing California Proposition Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Smurfquake, Apr 29, 2009.

1. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Biggest issue is all the land the military owns in California, no way in hell they'd ever give that up.

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know it would be fun for Californians that are running this to send communications to the Texas separatist to ask them how to go about doing this.

3. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hell, I'd move back to Califas just to vote Yes for Calexit...

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Make sure you align yourself with Oceania as far as FIFA is concerned. You'll have an easier time qualifying for the World Cup.

St. Michael's Sword repped this.
  5. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Pfff. World's 7th largest economy, 39 million ppl, full usage of our tax base instead subsidizing poor red states with shit policy just to spite themselves and their poor (Black) folk, a lean modern military not looking to transfer public money to private companies through asinine military build-up..., a fantastic sports infrastructure for a nice domestic league, Bielsa as head coach of California's National Team, and far less morons on Big Soccer: California National Team boards...

Sign. Me. Up.

6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Fewer. Fewer morons.

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Indeed!

For shame,@uclacarlos ...

8. ElasticNorseman

ElasticNorseman Member+

Apr 16, 2004
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Nah... you'd get Klinsmann... He's a Californian now

9. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Independent Republic of California would be proud to get Klinsmann - because we would then have the ability to fire him.

luftmensch and uclacarlos repped this.
  10. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the Independent Republic of California, the grammar police will be actual police.

spejic and uclacarlos repped this.
  11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You fvckers get Klinsman as your coach.

Dang you, beat one more time by Elasticnorseman.

ElasticNorseman repped this.
  12. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So a "sponsored post" from this organization just showed up in my Facebook feed: California National Party. From their platform:

13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Director Grimes will not be pleased with Calexit. A free California is an unprofitable California.

HAIL GRIMES!!!

roby and spejic repped this.
  14. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just had to resurrect this gem with a little dose of reality:

"Californians in April will start paying more to register their cars -- not to help maintain roads, but to keep the pension checks rolling for the motorcycle cops who policed them.

The retirement fund for the California Highway Patrol is worse off than any other managed by California Public Employees’ Retirement System, the largest U.S. pension, as payments by the state and employees fail to keep up with benefits locked in during the dot-com bubble. As a result, the state’s contributions jumped 14 percent this year to $415 million and are projected to continue rising. A $10 increase to registration fees will help cover the expense."

15. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    The US Navy has a massive base in San Diego and a weapons station in China Lake. They won't let them go.

16. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Christ--we're constantly waiting for the next big earthquake to hit that flattens the bay area or LA. We got a damn that's about to burst. We have massive forrest fires here every year. Who is gonna bail us out? Canada?

17. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    What's this "we" you're talking about. You're 3k miles away!! The dam will burst just in time to extinguish the flames and the ground will open up just enough to swallow the excess water. Canada will send Sgt. Dudley Do-Right RCMP to ensure there is no looting.

Any more questions? :coffee:

luftmensch repped this.
  18. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

@spejic @Knave @Smurfquake

One of the guys behind Calexit is moving to Russia. Where he can be free. Or something.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is all part of the Trump/Putin master plan.

21. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got our June primary election booklet in the mail yesterday, so it's time to update this thread. The primary election in June has five propositions. The propositions are not very interesting this time. Maybe they will be better in November.

Links below are to Ballotpedia.

Proposition 68, a bond measure for state parks and water projects. In general, California supports bond measures, especially when they're for fluffy things like state parks. I'm not sure if this is a stealth measure to get money assigned to the delta tunnel project or high speed rail or something like that, but this one will probably pass easily.

Proposition 69, a measure to ensure that money from transportation taxes are used only for transportation projects. Or something. It looks like a way to get money spent on pet projects like high speed rail, and the people who submitted the opposing argument are Republicans, so I'm in favor of it.

Proposition 70, a measure that would require a one-time two-thirds majority vote in the state legislature to use cap-and-trade money. Or something. This is not an obviously partisan thing - Governor Moonbeam submitted the argument in favor, but it was co-signed by the evil capitalists in the Chamber of Commerce, and the California Democratic Party and that rich guy who buys ads against Trump, Tom Steyer, are opposed, so I think the correct choice is to vote against. More research is probably required.

Proposition 71, a measure to ensure that ballot propositions are enacted in a consistent time frame after the election. It seems trivial, but the argument in favor is that with more people voting by mail (in my county, this primary election is vote-by-mail), the amount of time needed to count votes means that some propositions which used to take effect right after the election may now take longer. The opposition argument is written by some dude who raised the specter of child molesters being free for longer if this passes, so I'm pretty sure he's full of shit.

Proposition 72, a measure to exclude the value of rainwater catchment systems from property tax assessments. You see, if you spend money adding a water conservation system to your house, it adds value to your house and you have to pay more in property taxes (not sure if this is affected by Proposition 13 or not), but whatever. Some states still punish homeowners for adding solar panels to their property, meanwhile California is leading the way because as our water issues get worse, people will be adding water conservation systems to their property.

So that's what's on the ballot. Nothing too interesting, just remember that California is about 20 years ahead of the rest of the country - we elected our sexist celebrity governator way before you guys elected Trump - so whatever stupid shit we pass will be coming your way in a couple of decades.

22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I move to California, buy property and in my back yard I build a Rain water catchment Basin that just happens to look like a swimming pool but I swear it is not.

Would my property taxes go up? after prop 70.

Dr. Wankler and Smurfquake repped this.
  23. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    72 sounds like a good idea.

24. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I'm sure you're all fascinated by this, but here's how my wife and I decided to vote on the five propositions:
    68, bond measure for state parks and other stuff: YES, we love bonds around here.

69, transportation tax revenue must be spent on transportation projects: YES

70, requires two-thirds vote in the state legislature to spend cap-and-trade revenues: NO, we've seen what happens when things require two-thirds majority to get something done, it allows the minority party (aka Republicans) to hold things hostage, so ******** those guys.

71, sets the effective date for ballot measures: YES

72, allows water reclamation systems to be added to houses without adding to the property tax assessed value: YES, have you seen Mad Max Fury Road, let's not go that way.

There was also a regional measure for the nine Bay Area counties (basically every county that touches the San Francisco or San Pablo bays), a transportation measure that will raise the bridge tolls over the next several years to pay for a grab bag of transportation projects, and of course we voted YES, because who doesn't want more infrastructure, and who doesn't want to make commuters pay for it? It's kind of unusual to have a regional measure like this - usually things are either statewide, like the propositions above, or at most county-wide and more often city-wide or school district-wide or whatever, this is the first time I remember seeing a multi-county but not statewide measure like this on the ballot.

In any case, the current results on the propositions are here:

https://vote.sos.ca.gov/returns/ballot-measures

As of now, there's about 2% of the precincts reporting, and the results are exactly like my wife and I voted, so, you know, most of California is rly smrt like us. I'm not sure when the full results will be announced - my county was one of five counties (out of 58 statewide) that did vote-by-mail, like Washington and Oregon do, as a trial for future statewide elections - we're going to see if it increases turnout -- see, we can learn from our blue state neighbors -- but I dropped off our ballots at one of the vote centers yesterday, and there will be a lot of ballots still in the mail for a couple of days, so I'm not sure when we'll have full results. Probably they will be able to call most races tonight, but close races may need to wait a few days.

Matrim55 and American Brummie repped this.
  25. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Draper finally gets a proposal to split California up into smaller states onto the ballot.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/proposal-split-california-states-makes-november-ballot/story?id=55855441

When's the proposal to split up Texas going on the ballot? :)