The Continuing California Proposition Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Smurfquake, Apr 29, 2009.

1. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well I blame Putin for that.

2. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I drove a number of the roads across the same area -- from Pixley to Corcoran and Bakersfield to Delano. They are all in very bad shape. This includes a number of State Highways like 190 and 65. YMMV.

But I'm sure the taxes the state will reap from legalizing weed will fix that. Unless they forgot to factor in the tax hit due to decreased productivity of California's workforce.

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And then we'll see a second proposition that states (rather vaguely) that if and only if the proposition about not having so many propositions passes, then the second proposition will also take effect thus ensuring that voters continue to be confused and continue to vote in favor of any bond measure that promises to help educate children, reduce smokin/soda drinking, improve the environment, end war, or any other similarly worthy goal.

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

It's odd that California wages war against the plastic grocery bags that we can actually reuse, yet does nothing about all the product packaging (plastic containers, wrappers, blister packs etc) that we fill our bags with, which we throw in the garbage when we get home -after struggling to open them - because they are useless.

Those items are a much larger source of plastic than the bags we use to carry them. And at least the grocery bags keep us from having to buy other plastic bags to clean up after the dog.

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Bad idea.

A) there's too many of us here already.

B) somebody has to feed us.

C) It sucks to live here. Really!

DoyleG repped this.
  6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Got my first read, and here are my first impressions. I'm still persuadable if one of you has a good argument to change my mind.

Yawn! I'm not in favor of the people voting to issue bonds. We vote for the people who should do this work for us. NO

If I want to approve bonds I'll run for office. NO

WTF? I bet people will be standing in line waiting to read the bills. Waste of time. NO

Brilliant! Let the people decide by plebiscite who gets taxed and how much. NO

I'm all for people quitting, but I don't like the concept of "sin taxes". NO

It's a good idea, but don't think it's clear on what it means by "non-violent". Is that already established? I need to revisit it. UNDECIDED

VIVA CALIFORNIA! YES

So now we're going to vote on how we feel about US Supreme Court decisions? NO

Yes, people should use condoms. No, I'm not going to vote to make them do it. NO

Too confusing. Unless it gets explained to me in clear terms I don't trust it. NO

It's the 21st century, and does anybody in California ever gets executed? Lets save the money. YES

I'm not an expert in guns, but at first glance it seems like a reasonable regulation that doesn't go too far. LEANING YES

It's California. Even District Attorneys roll their eyes when they have to prosecute somebody for weed. YES

Another "sin tax". NO

Confusing, and for the most part I don't think the legal process should be decided by plebiscite. NO

Why should the people in the East Bay get bags when in the Peninsula we don't? YES

DoyleG repped this.
  7. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not odd. It's the definition of the liberal, progressive state. Because its sole intent is to do something that makes them feel good about themselves.

El Chuma repped this.
  8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

9. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL. Smoke 'em if you got 'em, Chief!

10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I see @roadkit is back in this thread with his cliched anti-California wackiness.

11. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me tell you how it is in a state where they have Legalized It. The people that were already smokin' that shit back when it was illegal, they're still doing it. The people that weren't might smoke the occasional J or have the occasional edible, but aren't gonna go crazy with it for the same reason why they don't walk around, drunker than Cooter Brown just because alcohol is legal.

crazypete13 repped this.
  12. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooh, I have apparently hit a nerve with El Supremo Weedhead!

13. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm only "anti-California" because it's my home state and I hate to see what unbridled progressive policies have done to it.

El Chuma repped this.
  14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Dude ... :rolleyes:

15. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, because I'm sure there are millions just waiting for marijuana to be legalized so they can finally partake.

16. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You do understand that my complaints were just me being facetious, right? That ban has had a massive and measurable effect on pollution in and near cities. Those bags do have uses, but far more often they ended up being just thrown away, and too often that was literal. I would expect a conservative to accept that people don't respect things that are given away for free.

uclacarlos repped this.
  17. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your last sentence is so ironic -- in a thread about California -- that you actually made my point better than I ever could.

Thank you for that. But labeling me as "conservative" is a bit of a stretch.

18. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, my assertion that productivity will be reduced is based on nothing more than common sense. And years of exposure to potheads.

21. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Judging marijuana users by "potheads" is like judging alcohol drinkers by winos. Plenty of people use in moderation and you'd never even know it.

Then there's this: Silicon Valley Reportedly Full of Stoners

22. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  23. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No wonder Apple thought it would be a great idea to eliminate the 'right swipe' to unlock your iPhone. Only a pothead would think of something so stupid.

diablodelsol repped this.
  24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like Prop 13?

M repped this.
  25. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's wrong with Prop 13? I supported it and still do. The last thing California needs is an easier way to raise taxes.