The Community Club Rip Off?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Dec 13, 2012.

1. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I know that the A kids should be doing more then just connecting passes and dribbling with the inside and outside of the foot. As I mentioned I see 8 year olds in 3v3 using the bottom and inner ankle more often then what I saw in that game.

Secondly I have said a number of times that none of my players have really improved.

You seem to be skipping some of my comments over and over and just re-focusing on the winning part.

2. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That depends on different factors - their age, their potential, their commitment, their work ethic, etc.
    That is not how you measure development......

Anyone else share that opinion? Just a thought, but their current coach may be having hell of a work to do in order to fix some your former players' bad habits.....

Because you keep talking about winning and trashing to make a point. Your whole rant started in the first place with this example of a C team beating an A team to illustrate a point that developing and coaching in your area isn't worth the money parents are paying.

Another thought....perhaps if you started your whole argument by saying that some of your former players haven't improved under their current coach (and give specific examples of different aspects), rather than talking about C team winning vs A team (where your former players play at), then your point would've been better made.

#10 Jersey repped this.
  3. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread needs to be revived and updated. Here goes.
    Live in Schaumburg, new to travel, u14 son playing in second season of travel for Schaumburg community team.
    He's U13 self taught and after Fall season clear to see he has better knowledge and skill than kids in program for years. My son has raw talent, desire, creativity, and speed. He's like a labrador retriever puppy trying to grow into his paws! Im looking for someone to polish!
    this season promoted to u15. I have asked coaches specifically if they can work with him on a few areas... no response.
    I have scouted many of the coaches in games practice.I go to every practice. Im not impressed.I was a pro endurance athlete, coached youth, H.S. , and elite endurance athletes. I may not know soccer a whole lot but I know some about what should be happening.
    just about all our kids regardless of age are not even performing basic game skills such as stringing together passes, corner kick strategy, free kick, building out from back, goalkeeper skills...
    I don't know how good or bad coaches are because I dont see ANY coaching. Unless running an organized practice with drills is all that it takes.
    I have spent time trying to find out about other clubs... At the community level I think they are all relatively equal. As far as top tier clubs where I think my son would develop, Sockers is probably the only choice. I have sent several emails to inquire with NO response. When I have scouted out their practices of non academy groups they dont look any different than the bulk of player talent. I'm trying to find out when their B and/or C squads for u14 practice to make final decision... I have talked to parents who put their kids in Sockers and came out after only one season. I don't hear good things
    We are currently paying a private coach to work with him on technical skills since his game skill sare strong but the types of things coaches would look for for evaluation, not so much. He wants to make big gains this Fall so that we can possibly make a move before Spring.
    I am overall discouraged at what I see in the youth soccer scene with club politics, coaches, this planning paths at such a young age.
    My sons love of the sport is impressive and everything must support that
    Back to clubs.
    There is a nearby community team with parent coaches. Smokes our U13, U14, and U15's every game. I think they probably should play in higher divisions but its obvious their kids are well taught and coached.
    One thought is to join them, for only $600 a year and continue with private coach. I cant believe Im even considering paying a coach because programs suck so bad.
    I dont understand how a sport so popular at the youth level is this bad.
    Not to mention the admin side of our club and I suspect many are similar... Boast ofprofessional coaching... Parent are told not to talk to coaches directly and they love being insulated... I dont get it.
    Feels like being pawns...I guess just a matter of what level you choose.

Any suggestions from local experts as to options???

4. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    So I DM's you the 2004 practice schedule.

Not sure what parents say but to be honest, a lot of boys come from other clubs to Sockers at this age with hopes of making in on DA. It's a big challenge because the boys side of the club is just gigantic! Many of the core kids are with the club since u8 so they are well-seasoned players. That makes it hard for new kids to come in and get on DA - so they tend to leave upset because in some cases, take it as an insult to their kids ability to perform.

Then you have core players who do not make it - sometimes displaced by a new player or an existing player from another DA who failed to make it where they came from.

Sockers is a big commitment - in terms of $ and time. To get that far and not make it at the highest level is incredibly difficult to deal with for parents - principally because no one wants to see their kid hurt in any way... Although I think some parents take it even worse then the kids do :rolleyes:

Check out a practice - I would not bother speaking to coaches because they are constantly shifting between practices and rarely have down time.

If you need a contact there to reach out to DM me back.

On the private lessons part... Unless you are a keeper, you should never need a private trainer unless its for speed and agility. Your coach should be sufficient enough. If your player is not up to snub, at least at Sockers, all the Pre-Academy teams train together so the exposure to the pool will push him hard on top of the coaches.

5. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    This thread needs to be revived and updated.

A coach has his team apparently lingering around in lower leagues to beat the hell out of opponents.

One of the parents went to the coach and asked why his kid only gets 15 minutes of playtime? He looked at the parent and said "Because he's a 15 minute player"

This is at the 3 division in YSSL!

Sometimes I wonder why providing decent soccer is so damn hard for so many people :eek:

6. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for input and info. Seeing the 2004 practices will be a big help.
    Can you expand on time commitment? Im familiar with $$$$, ballpark.
    I'm used to driving every weekend, taking other child to bike races and used to drive 3 plus hours each myself to do a 1 hour bike race. So, kind of used to that. This is our youngest, only kid who really chose a sport for himself.
    What you say regarding private coaching is extremely frustrating!
    I used to coach age group swimming, up to 70 kids a season. I knew every kid. What they could do, what they needed help with, their personality, etc and how to develop them in a positive environment. I dont think I'm expecting too much for two coaches (who played at high level) to be able to work with each of 16 players...
    I haven't considered the goal of DA. But happy to hear what you say about being in a competitive pool of players. That's basically what he's asking me for.

Thx

7. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    You sound like a solid coach. I wish more coaches in soccer were like you but what I have found is that they are not as open or social with parents as they could be. There are many articles recently which point to this sort of thing needed to be overcome in order for a player to develop fully (parents and coaches working together in order to understand the player better).

It's not just about attendance or success in positions on the field right?

As far as commitment is concerned - the schedule for the 2004 has them on the field nearly every day from anywhere between 4-7PM. That's a commitment for parents who have to drive - may impact work, and a player who will have far less time for homework and other activities.

I don't know of any community clubs that practice this often so it may be quite a change. Of course between private lessons and training, there may be little difference at all - but that is the commitment I was refering to.

I have a 2005 daughter and she is very passionate about soccer. But she misses a lot such as vacations over Memorial and Labor Day. She rarely gets any time with friends after school. I sometimes worry if it is too much but I leave that to her while keeping my eye out for any signs of burn out (as best I can).

If he is up to that much training - I say go for it.

8. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have the freedom to work from home as needed and we are a boring family that doesn't really take vacations!
    Sounds like we are made for this!
    Thanks for the info and taking the time.

VolklP19 repped this.
  9. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    No problem - not sure if anyone else has recomendations - I would toss in Inferno but since DD is not the Dir at Eclipse I am not sure of where else one could look in the area if they are looking for serious soccer.