Rumor: The Coming <soft> Rebrand

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Jasper_Black, Jul 23, 2018.

1. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I think it would be better if the star didn't pierce the C, but it's miles better than the RSL Fire FC badge we got

Pennsylvania Dave and xtomx repped this.
  2. splunge63

splunge63 Member+

Mar 30, 2014
    west burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Decidedly not a fan of the new logo/color scheme, but I'd gladly take a steaming, heaping pile emoji as our logo if Joe transforms the club into an MLS king. Not holding my breath, mind you.

GHjelm repped this.
  3. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
  4. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    From the AP article about the Fire and Joe Mansueto:

A new crest is meant to symbolize both a crown and Chicago rising from the ashes of the great fire. The intentions were good: Chicago’s badge had sometimes confusing similarities to the one used by the Chicago Fire Department.

But the rebrand did not go over well. Critics jumped on the color scheme as being too close to Real Salt Lake’s. There were also concerns that the yellow crown could be associated with the Latin Kings, a violent Chicago gang.

I think among the longer-term fans, we did see that negative reaction. The newer fans, less so. But having worked with logos and new logos, for a long time, it takes a while to judge a new logo. You need to see it used repeatedly. You need to see it get used in context,” he said.

Yes, and I see it every day and it is not getting better.
    The more I see it, the LESS I like it.
    Seeing it "used in context" (that is on sweatshirts on billboards), it is looks worse with each viewing.

Or, in the words of Nelson Rodriguez: "Wallowers"

Or, in the words of Mick Mulvaney (talking about Trump's impeachable offenses): "Get over it."

Asked if his management style was always so, well, zealous, Mansueto said it’s his entrepreneurial spirit.

“So, I see something that needs to be done, I’m like, `Let’s get started and get it done.′ Chop wood, carry water, just get it done,” he said. “I think that, yeah, that is my style. I don’t like to be indecisive. I don’t like to let things linger, but I like to take action once a decision is made.

Again, "get over it. It is not changing. Why? F*ck you, that's why!"

aetraxx7 and SixKick repped this.
  5. moleman

moleman Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Here’s a question for everyone here. Would you be more or less upset if instead of this rebrand, Mansueto and co decided to keep the colors and badge the same but change the name from the Chicago Fire to Chicago Football Club (with the only difference being on the badge saying “FC” at the bottom rather than “Fire”)?

harrylee773 repped this.
  6. wolvesfirehope

Chicago Fire, Detroit City FC, Swansea City, Chicago Red Stars, Edgewater Castle
    United States
    Apr 6, 2018
    i don't think most of us cared that the logo was changed. i think we care because the logo is sh*t.

it is an image that, with the right storyteller, could have been used for any team, any sport. it is generic. it makes no effort to link to anything already related to chicago or the fire. it exits as something that is inspires no hometown or team pride.

it has been noted here, several times, that if that crown was simply changed to the chicago star (even with the color split) the amount of backlash would have been significantly less. if the crown actually looked like the watertower, or the sears tower, or anything and had that "reflection" beneath it, it would have not caused as much of an uproar. heck, if it was simply a flame (think UIC's logo), it probably would have at least make sense to people.

the problem is, in a city of so many well known symbols and images, they went with something that doesn't fit anything.

7. Less.

xtomx repped this.
  8. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Approximately 10000.01% less.

GHjelm, aetraxx7 and willydonc repped this.
  9. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This...and everything that @wolvesfirehope stated after it.

rooked and aetraxx7 repped this.
  10. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This is what I said. Dropping the word "Fire" from the official badge and website would be less offensive entirely in favor of CFC or some such thing and keeping the same Red jersey with white stripe colors, moniker "Tradition, Honor, Passion" but then still calling the team "The Fire" or whatever (like Queens Park Rangers are called "The Hoops") would make all that Google confusion over letting a TV show take the name of the Chicago Fire in the first place go away. Obviously the Hauptman era was out to lunch for a decade because If I was an owner of something called "Chicago Fire" and then a TV or movie wanted to take my trademarked name..uh no. I'd sick a team of lawyers on their ass and that TV show would be "Chicago Fire Department" or "Windy City Firefighters" something else. Dumbest front office EVER!!!!

11. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Instead we showed the pilot episode on the big screen before it debuted on NBC after a game. I was at that one.

Pennsylvania Dave repped this.
  12. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d be fine with it if the Fire name were gone. It’s not a great logo, but at least it would truly represent a once-in-a lifetime swing for the fences from the new management that wasn’t afraid to take chances. Keeping the name was a weak attempt to implement and indicate change while trying to please everyone, and that alienated those who wanted change, those that were amiable to it with reservations, those that were against it, and -somehow- remarkably, those that didn’t care either way.

The shitty logo obviously contributed to all of that as well, no doubt. If they blew everyone’s tits off with a dynamite new logo, the name change or lack thereof probably would’ve been less of an issue for some. Oh well.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  13. Sting111

Sting111 Member+

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Giving up the Chicago Fire brand that represented soccer supremacy during the early years would have been a total Cluster F! Picking a new logo that has no associations and representation to the city of Chicago is pure lunacy!

LIZZIE, xtomx and aetraxx7 repped this.
  14. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    #1239 bunge, Dec 18, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    Start with why. Why did specific elements change? Answer that for the name, for the colors, for the logo, and the story will be told. The “why” in these instances is not captivating so the results themselves reflect the motivations. The changes aren’t engaging the fans because they are rooted in ulterior motives. The “why” does not engage the current fans or the greater public.

15. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Interesting.
    My question to you, then, would be "Why?"
    Why do you think this was done?
    What was the ulterior motive?

I am genuinely curious as to your thoughts on the subject.

16. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Shirt idea:

Old logo as the French flag + resistance written under it

[​IMG]

17. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Louisville also had a failed rebrand the other day. It wasn't nearly as negative as the reaction to the Fire's new logo, but they released a statement today:

[​IMG]

aetraxx7, GHjelm and xtomx repped this.
  18. wolvesfirehope

Chicago Fire, Detroit City FC, Swansea City, Chicago Red Stars, Edgewater Castle
    United States
    Apr 6, 2018
    is this on their social media and can we share to the fire pages?

aetraxx7 and xtomx repped this.
  19. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    It is both true that there is a certain silly hipster resistance to change emblematic here, and also the case that there's absolutely no purpose in fighting that, your fans are your customers, just give them what they want.

It really isn't rocket science to credibly and genuinely include supporters in these kinds of processes. It's just so antithetical to the American capital class mindset.

Pennsylvania Dave and aetraxx7 repped this.
  20. wolvesfirehope

United States
    Apr 6, 2018
    just for fun, the other day i went to the fanatics site and looked up the fire gear. selected "most popular" for items and none of the new stuff, save one scarf, was anywhere near the top.

not saying that selection is 100% accurate, but it is semi-telling.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  21. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'm a weirdo so I've been keeping a tab on Fanatics open since the rebrand launched and clicking through to see when the "last sold" is for the stuff to get a feel. I haven't been able to tell what's up with their algorithm. A week ago, all the new stuff was near the top but then everything but the hats dropped off late last week. A week before that, new stuff was behind the jerseys before moving up to the top of the list. My guess is

But from watching it, it looks like they're selling a lot of new hats, but shirt sales are somewhere between "meh" and "ok". (the fact the t-shirts are $40 bucks while all the old logo stuff is steeply discounted doesn't help. I'm neutral to positive on the logo and even I'm waiting until jerseys come out before I buy something besides the hat and scarf I have). They've completely sold out of two scarf designs, but my guess is that's partly due to the team selling "holidays packs" for the home opener so far which come with a scarf. Fanatics REALLY should have launched some youth sizes based on what's consistently sold across MLS.

wolvesfirehope repped this.
  22. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I like that the Bastian t-shirt is outselling every "new era" shirt.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  23. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Turns out having an international superstar on your team is a popular decision.

I'm sure the new Fabian Herbers edition for next season will well just as well though.

24. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    In the words of Eric Idle in the Camel Spotting Sketch, we will likely sell "neeeeearly one."

CMeszt and Fighting Illini repped this.
  25. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    the freaking oval looks like it got stretched in Microsoft Word by accident every damn time I look at it

Pennsylvania Dave repped this.