The Colombian Prodigal Son Returns - The James Rodríguez Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by MiamiNative0722, Sep 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robertocarlos3

robertocarlos3 Member+

Jan 9, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    how much freedom can you have in a team?
    Eden getting the freedom role because he is at that level that freedom is required.
    Benzem getting the freedom because, well, because he's Benzema and not really a striker
    and now James gets a freedom role as part of the midfield?
    its a one way ticket for confusion and disaster.

2. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    There is actually nothing wrong with Zidane's formless style.

He just doesn't have the personnel to do it correctly and he has been stubborn about certain players who need to be foreverbenced.

3. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I could be wrong but “formless” seems to suggest everyone on the pitch can do whatever they like, surely it’s better to have a plan (clear tactics) as to what the players are to do as a team when attacking and defending rather than every man for himself, or perhaps I read that wrong, they really did look “formless” against PSG, no cohesion , not a clue, again, maybe I am using the word wrong

4. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    This is incorrect. Zidane's style has a tactic to it, even if this forum some act ignorant or just don't understand it.

5. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    Everything has tactical component in it. The question is about quality of it.

The system he is applying - and i am being generous calling that a system, is painfully rudimentary. Actually it is shocking for a top tier team.

Well if he does not have personnel to do it, then why the fck is he insisting at that shit? Honestly, your argument makes it even worse. Besides, i think you are reading this situation wrong. He genuinely does not have the idea of what to do and how to do it. That is what worries me the most.

MaxY repped this.
  6. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    I don't agree man.

I just feel he doesn't have the players for the system to even kind of work.

We were so deadily playing formless opposition literally did not know how to come at us. I legit believe if we had a decent GK, RB and Kroos and Varane are benched we would see a glimmer of that tough side.

The problem is playing the way Zidane wants demands that Kroos do more. It demands our CBs play better. It demands our RB play well in attack.

Seriously Janos, if we change those things I mention we don't lose a match yet and we win all four in La Liga.

For me Zidane's problem is he continues to force Varane and Kroos on us. There is nothing we can do about Carvajal being an idiot. We are screwed with Courtois.

Lucas being a moron shocked us all. Hope he is buried on the bench as well.

Drouchk and J-Mezzy repped this.
  7. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Zidane's problem is that he's a great "go out there and get 'em" coach, which is fine when you have an elite 11, but when you need to put together a team with clear disadnatages in a way the incorporates their strengths, and hides their weaknesses, he doesn't seem to be able to do it.

That's all there is. It doesn't matter who plays or who doesn't. We never look superior on the preparation and tactical level, only in the individual level. Playing "better players" will help, but unless we're a superteam like we were about 3 years ago, he can't win a tea cup like that.

Baltor and MaxY repped this.
  8. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    Meaning you believe main issue is personnel. I agree to some extent. But the issue being, regardless of personnel what Zizu is offering tactically wise is inherently limited. Sure we would win matches vs. Villareal and co., but in the long run his tactics would make us struggle vs. top tier opponents. If i forget about the latter and put emphasis solely on personnel, Zidane still has an issue. Because he was main architect behind it. Or do you disagree with that and say Flo was mastermind who caused we did not go after Eriksen and not kept Llorente and Odegaard?

Also, the irony being year and a half back Zidane correctly deduced this squad needs new ideas. Year and a half fast forward, and he is offering similar ideas. He needs to change things and stabilize us at least until january when we can decide either to buy some players, or ditch another season and prepare for the next one.

9. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005

1. I agree it's limited.

Zidane is trying to force this way of playing while using players who sabotage. This is my problem with him.

2. Both Zidane and Florentino share blame, however blame is primarily on the President who renews horrible players (Nacho) and finished players (Kroos), expecting whomever the manager will be to use them heavily. This is set up for failure.

3. As I have said it doesn't matter what our ideas are if certain players are playing. The same way Cristiano was good for a goal, right now Varane, Kroos, Carvajal and Courtous seem good to concede one in regular matches and TWO versus top competition.

The only thing that can honestly save us is these guys getting inuries and Modric, James, Bale and co staying healthy.

10. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Kroos good example how you need to be wise. Kroos always was good player, suddenly he worse in the planet? No. but you need find righ place, right tactics or instrunctions, maybe bench more ofter and so on and so on.Same with others.

11. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So we can have even more excuses for Monsieur to hide behind.

12. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Zidane didn't even want to have James now people are relying on him to incorporating him into his lineup. :D

13. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Zidane wanted Pogba, but I think given the choice between James and the other options available (Van der B, Erikson, etc.) he decided it was better to go with a player he and the team knows well.

I think James also understood he was taking a bigger risk trying to start new somewhere else than coming back.

14. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I don’t think that was it. Flo simply didn’t want James to go to the rival city club and wear the #10 there, strengthen Atletico and look silly.
    If Zidane had anything to do with it it was probably for getting humiliated by Atletico in MetLife stadium.

Anthony Lim repped this.
  15. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zidane would have gone along with Erikson or Van der Beek if he really wanted James gone at all costs.

James would have considered more clubs if he really wanted out at all costs.

They both only wanted their first/best choice but settled for what we see now.

16. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    ..Or he was protecting Isco and giving him one more chance..
    ..Or bringing them would have made it more difficult to go after Pogba in a future transfer window.

17. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Bingo.

Napoli were at the table with us but only wanted him on loan/on the cheap. If they offer the same as atleti, James would be theirs now.

18. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So transfers were not decided by Zidane. Gotcha.

Drouchk repped this.
  19. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Not completely no, but he's blocked at least one of them.

20. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    Which one?

21. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm confused, did he block the Bale or James sale?

Unless they were named Pogba or Mbappe it seems like Zidane didn't want anyone and maybe was satisfied Bale and James were the next best thing.

22. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That's the point. He also blocked the Kepa deal at the point where the player had committed in public.

23. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Mbappe and Pogba are unattainable, Zidane isn't stupid and will know this, he doesn’t participate in ifs and buts conversations on a rumour forum, he is involved in all conversations transfer and budget related. I don’t believe it is as simple as him saying it’s those two or no one.

24. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think at this point the club doesn't want to spend money on players that will get no look at all and plummet in value. What good is buying vdB for 60 mil. if he gets about 1000 minutes over an entire season and isn't even worth 1/3rd of that next summer?

25. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    James has been one ot our most consistent players and has put in the effort.

I have a bad feeling that once Modric and Isco come back, he will go back to being an afterthought.

In reality, he should replace Kroos and play with Modric but Kroos is unbenchable for some bizarre reason.

I hope I'm wrong..

meringues, RMSocrates and temesgen repped this.