The Colombian Prodigal Son Returns - The James Rodríguez Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by MiamiNative0722, Sep 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    He makes some calls that leaves most people scratching their heads.. and he did start James and Isco in a game already so there’s that

2. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Sure, and I'm as critical of those decisions as anyone. But to insinuate that he's purposely playing James in games that he will perform badly in just so that he can justify his decision is next level tinfoil Trumpian conspiracy logic.

ahnaf, MiamiNative0722, J-Mezzy and 3 others repped this.
  3. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    Next time James gets injured @fierro will tell us it’s because Zidane paid a witch to put a curse on him.
    This James nonsense is getting out of hands lol.

MiamiNative0722, petros93 and Anon. repped this.
  4. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah i for one feel that Zidane doesn't rate James for some reason and I agree that he hasn't given him the best and fair opportunity to succeed

But he is not putting him out there hoping to fail just so he can be proven right. He is not sabotaging his own team out of pride. That's taking it too far

5. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think its far too early to make any judgements on how Zidane views Bale and James. I feel that if he is actually freezing them out, why integrate them into the team at the start of the season in the first place. We can definitely use both players, they have looked good for us so far, and I think we can actually use a player like James in this team beyond this season.

That being said, I think its pretty clear Zidane has sort of a strong opinion on the profile of each player he wants in his midfield. DM needs to be strong defensively and conservative positionally (Casemiro), RCM needs to be vertical and hardworking (Modric, Valverde), and LCM needs to be a good distributor (Kroos). This explains the rumors of him rejecting the likes of Eriksen, us being linked with VDB and Pogba, and why players like Ceballos and James had trouble breaking into our midfield three.

Zidane has used Isco as part of the front three, so am not sure why James doesnt get a run as a RW like he did under Carlo. Having options like Bale and James for our RW, which is arguably our weakest spot in the first 11, would allow us to play in different ways depending on the opposition. If we need pace on the break or an extra header in the box, play Bale. If we need to break down a bunkered defense, James' creativity and delivery from the right would help for sure, and LV for when we need to close down the right side defensively. This also allows us to ease in Rodrygo instead of this fast tracking him to stardom business which I am uneasy with.

Anon., Digital, Stiliyan and 1 other person repped this.
  6. hala_madrid722

hala_madrid722 Member+

Jan 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This

Digital repped this.
  7. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That was before anybody viewed Rodrygo and Valverde as starters though. Now, with the confidence of having the required options, he doesn't have to keep the charade up.

8. HZinho

HZinho Member+

Apr 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You know the team is doing well when everyone is looking for controversy in the tiniest of corners..

natenate101 and hala_madrid722 repped this.
  9. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    You didn’t see them as starters material, doesn’t mean Zidane didn’t, especially Fede, a player he’s given a lot of minutes to last season.

Digital repped this.
  10. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    #260 robnycus, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    James trained normally with his teammates in Miami.. “not ready to train”, sure Zidane you are not fooling anyone with that.

11. .halamadrid2.

.halamadrid2. Member+

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    But if Zidane wanted to ostracise anyone from training wouldn't he have done it with Mariano? If they are not training that is on them not Zidane

12. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    They asked him specifically if it was on them and he said that they are not ready.. something is missing was his answer..

13. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Agree with all of this, the team is stronger if he uses all his players, he is only hurting himself and the team if he doesn’t , doesn’t make sense to me.

14. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    He asked UEFA yesterday that they should allow the teams to bring the entire squad to the games and not just 18 players.. I guess that would solve his squad selection problem lol

15. .halamadrid2.

.halamadrid2. Member+

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #265 .halamadrid2., Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    But i don't think it is Zidane banning them from training. James was playing regularly up until recently so was Bale until his mysterious injury. Guys like Mariano have been in the matchday squad like once or twice and they are always training.

Zidane has said before that sometimes his Spanish is misunderstood. But I am confident it is not him blocking them. He would've done that in the summer when he said loud and clear that Bale wasn't in his plan but he didn't and Bale was training normally while negotiating with the Chinese team. Then he was supposed to play but apparently he wasn't in the right state of mind so went out to play golf instead lol. Zidane is not in the wrong here

16. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
  17. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This guy is always injured man. Wtf

18. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    Was he maybe rushed to train? Maybe our medical staff was onto something.

Ahmadi8 and MerlinRM repped this.
  19. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Yep probably or he is just weak physically and needs a lot of time to recover 100%.

Zidane jinxed him lol.. he said “we’ll see if he plays with Colombia” and then laughed..

20. hala_madrid722

hala_madrid722 Member+

Jan 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This is why you don’t rush people back to training too fast. Didn’t stop the conspiracy theories though.

21. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Wowwww ZZ may have been right along that he wasn't fit then if he goes to Colombia and immediately gets hurt. Tough luck. I still think he would have been a good solution to have on the bench.

22. hala_madrid722

hala_madrid722 Member+

Jan 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    James is a great player and can contribute to this team. When healthy ZZ has used him. He’s important to the team.

23. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except the timeline doesn't add up. Did he get injured feeding the baby? Pull a muscle doing a diaper change?

He started against Mallorca and played a few days later against Galatasaray 10/22. Classico gets cancelled.

Baby is born on 10/28 and he misses the game on 10/30, but no "official" reason is given for his absence with most speculate he "could" have played but "chose" to stay home with the baby. Fair enough.

Betis game rolls around 11/2 and he's not called up again and no reason is given for his exclusion.

On 11/6 I report on bigsoccer.com that he trained alone and Zidane is unable to confirm his status, saying he is unable to talk about it; later that day in Columbia, Carlos Quiroz confirms James is fit for national team duty.

11/8 Zidane pivots to they are not ready yet but with sarcastic laugh about playing for national team.

Not once can anyone show an injury, apparently serious enough to keep him out for almost a month?

24. dooda

dooda Member+

Jun 8, 2005
    Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Other early estimates have him missing 3-4 weeks.

25. robertocarlos3

robertocarlos3 Member+

Jan 9, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    does it really matter? I mean I don't wish him being injured, but its not like he is a fundamental or key player in our squad. He's a CDR player at best.