The Coaching Thread

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by DDR, Jan 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Isn't Tomaselli the 12 year old kid from Belgium ? I'll have to wait a few years before giving an opinion. lol.

2. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    True. And really the only way for us to feasibly stay amongst the top clubs in Europe is to have one of the best youth systems in the world. We have such an advantage being Rome , the city produces solid talent consistently. I'd like to see how many other cities in Europe produce professional players in comparison.

3. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keeping one of Ponce or Sadiq makes too much sense. Cheap depth for Dzeko.

shiboboo and Java65 repped this.
  4. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Agreed. Especially because their latest loan spells have been disastrous. What's the point of buying highly regarded youth and ignoring them or throwing them to the wolves.

Getting backup minutes , whilst working with the club that cares about/ is invested in a players' development seems like a better solution than throwing kids to clubs that don't care about the player.

It would be refreshing to fill our backup positions with kids looking to make a difference , or waiting for the 1st teamer to get injured/slip up , than importing these journeyman nobodies every year for outrageous prices.

romanista8910 repped this.
  5. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    To this point...one of the worst things I hear is: "he got loaned to x-team and didn't do anything so how is he good enough for Roma?". So many players get loaned out to teams at a young age and don't impress because they are subs there. The team is never thinking about that players development but rather a free/cheap option in case there is an injury. We need to keep our most promising guys and give them a chance here and now.

Java65 repped this.
  6. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Precisely. Look at the backup/depth guys we usually sign , year after a year we look to sell them for a fraction of the price we bought them for. Very few have worked out. We are just wasting money , it's beyond stupid. Falque , Vanquier , Doumbia ... the list could go on and on. It's millions upon millions of dollars wasted.

Meanwhile, we are watching talented kids get their careers taken care of by people who don't have a vested interest in them at all! And more often than not we lose patience with them , or make snap-decisions on kids-- so we end up selling them , for cut-deal prices , or sometimes for even less than we bought them for. So , again , there's more money wasted....

Give the kids a chance , save some money , create a culture of developing and playing youth.

People are always complaining that we can never keep a team together-- well if we kept our youth and developed them , we could have some bloody continuity.

But ,instead, we insist on buying marginal players to fill our depth and they generally contribute nothing and the cycle continues. More money lost. No club identity . No ethos . Just spinning our tires.

7. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, the best way to develop young kids if you aren't going to have them on your roster is to do what we did with Pellegrini. Sell them with a buyback clause that way there is motivation for the other club to play and develop them.

shiboboo repped this.
  8. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Michael Berk

Michael Berk Member+

Apr 21, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

shiboboo, falvo and Java65 repped this.
  10. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
  11. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're going to just release him...? Yea right.

12. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could see us working out some agreement to continue to send them youth players with options to buy as compensation. Similar to Pellegrini.

13. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read that they wanted Ricci for another loan spell but Roma got interest from Atalanta, Genoa, Seville and another club. Could be the agreed to let Ricci stay for another year in exchange.

14. Quantum

Quantum Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Straight swap - Iturbe for EDF :laugh:

But seriously is EDF the right guy for the job? I'm not sold on him yet. He's done great with Sassuolo in Italy, but its a relatively calm and relaxed environment out there. How would he fare as a manager in the circus that is AS Roma? And is he capable of leading the team out of the group stages of the CL, and going head to head with master tacticians from across Europe?

But then again I can't think of anyone else who would want the Roma job and actually build on the progress made by Spalletti. All the available options are risky in some way or the other. When Monchi was announced, I got excited thinking that maybe there was a chance that Sampaoli could follow him should LS leave, but unfortunately he's off the table now as well.

15. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that he's gone... how do we feel about Spaletti's choice to go?

16. OB001

OB001 Member

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 1, 2017
    whill4 and Java65 repped this.
  17. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given a choice I preferred he stayed. He could be frustrating as hell and his game time substitutions were sometimes odd but he was a motivator and tactically very smart.

18. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still just don't understand why he left... baffling

19. OB001

OB001 Member

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 1, 2017
    I thought we established that he was frustrated with the pressures of handling Totti from the fans and media and he wanted a change.

Andreas, Shen-O, shiboboo and 2 others repped this.
  20. wm72

wm72 Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Spalletti's stay seemed like getting back together with an ex-gf where there's still a lot of passion.
    However, all those annoying little issues from before return immediately and seem even worse.

La Magica, shiboboo, Shen-O and 3 others repped this.
  21. Quantum

Quantum Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yeah I too believe it's the constant criticism over his handling of Totti, the abuse from the more vocal supporters, and the melodrama that always surrounds the club that got to him.

As he said when came back, he wanted to change the culture at the club. That was always going to be a long & drawn out battle, and in the end it surely must have taken an emotional toll on him.

I still think that Roma should be going after a more accomplished coach rather than EDF at this stage. I was thinking maybe someone like Manuel Pellegrini who could be tempted to come back to Europe.

22. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zeman man! *ancient aliens meme guy

23. Vini Vidi Vici

Italy
    May 21, 2013
    Tivoli / Fiesole / Anywhere Italy w turq water
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #748 Vini Vidi Vici, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Yup. Talk of Roma not having top options to chase is a fallacy.
    Manuel Pellegrini would come in a flash, and no doubt beat down Juventus, no doubt at all.

But the club have it all wrong. Get an Italian coach to coach non Italian players, pah. Get a damn master coach no matter where they're from, and they'll make anyone look good, allowing the use of Italians.

So, so backwards. I only reignited this...lust affair with Roma as this current season ended, but already it's clear there's a long, long way to go. Which on the other side of the coin, is exciting.

However to sign off, bringing in Monchi and Di Francesco is like ordering in a Ferrari engine for your son, then surprising him with a Ford Fiesta with that engine inside with the ability to only use quarter of its power. 1 part is genuinely premium. 1 part is genuinely average. Together you can't compete with that 1 Porsche the 2 dads have been building over at Juve. They have consistency in terms of personnel, consistency in their parts, so they can run like a premium motor. Roma has consistency in its personnel, in the sense that there's no consistency. A Ferrari engine here, the wheels from a monster truck there, a bicycle headlight here.

Every business on earth should have a 3 or a 5 year plan. I see plenty of clubs working in 3 year cycles (it's Chelsea's favourite way.) Where is the 3 year plan for Roma? Dzeko & Salah seem to have, by chance, fallen into what could be a 3 year plan. But there's no coherence to it. So i don't believe it exists. Who do you hold responsible when there's no business plan?

Shen-O and GamE_Ove12 repped this.
  24. lazzara

lazzara Member

Aug 25, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    what's wrong with EDF? he's got a similar record (if not better if you consider his Serie B stint) to Allegri before he took the milan job?

why would pellegrini come to us lol?

Goduerza, shiboboo and Java65 repped this.
  25. GamE_Ove12

GamE_Ove12 Member+

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We are hiring someone who finished 17th, 12th, 6th and 12th- and we are supposed to be content and even excited.

The logic used now is not completely different than the logic that was used when we signed Zeman (plays exiting football, knows the club culture, knows the league, helps grow the kid, he never had good squad like ours..etc)

Sadly the same people who were excited about Zeman then demanded his head by Christmas will repeat the same cycle again.