The Coaching Thread

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by DDR, Jan 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    shiboboo and Java65 repped this.
  2. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea I thought that was funny but I just couldn't resist taking a swing at the crazy notion that Enrique would ever end up back at Roma.

3. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gaspereni linked with the job now. Please no.

If we want an Italian journeyman, just go for Ranieri. He has just as much unfinished business here as Spalletti did.

4. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Tactically he is on another planet to Ranieri and deserving of a big job tbh. We cant go back to the tinkerman if we do have to part ways with Spalletti.

5. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    The options from Serie A are depressing, they should look abroad.

Shen-O repped this.
  6. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of the names floated around I like EDF and Emery.

7. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Spalletti, with a number of players will most probably be leaving at the end of the season. Knowing our American Hero owners, we will be getting Zeman back or worse failures like Baldini will be arriving in Rome......again.

8. Marco9

Marco9 Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    you gotta love the timing of the Emery rumors. He just lost 6-1 in the CL and the journalistic thought process went like: oh he's not that good after all so we can link him to Roma now

Vulpinous repped this.
  9. ErPupone

ErPupone Member+

Aug 27, 2015
    Austria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Let me get this straight: you say that Rosella Sensi is better than our American owners because the team was close to a scudetto with her but Baldini is a big failure even though he contributed to actually winning our last one? With your obsession with the pre-Jimmy-era you should have a "hard-on" (hehe) for him.

10. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What kind of nonsense is this that they were closer with Rosella? She was in charge for 3 years and they finished; 6th (63pts), 2 (80pts) and 6 (63 pts). Roma already have more pts this year than they did in 2 of her years in charge.

Since 2011 Roma have finished like this; 7th (56), 6th (62), 2nd (85), 2nd (70), 3rd (80) and this year they are second.

In what fantasy were Roma closer to winning a scudetto under her? The only think Roma were closer to under her were bankruptcy.

11. ErPupone

ErPupone Member+

Aug 27, 2015
    Austria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The 09/10 season with Roma being on top of the table with only 4 games left and the chance of winning it till the end was extremely close, gotta give him that.

12. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2nd is 2nd no matter how you slice it. Either you win or you don't "close" is relative. For example the 2013/14 we had 85 points and would have won the scudetto in any almost any other year.

Assuming Roma finish at least 3rd this season it will be 4 years of finishing in the top 3... the greatest run since I've been following Roma. Even if you go back to the early 2000's they would have a great season or 2 then finish 7th or 8th. I think some people don't realize how hard it is for a club of Roma's size to complete in the Europe, SA and CI every year. There is a reason Roma has never been able to maintain that level of consistency.

Also, I just got now understood the entire conversation, when you ignore someone the replies of other posters don't show the blocked persons original comment.

13. Capitan Futuro

Jun 5, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Spalleti and Totti will both extend for 1 more year. Next year will surely be Francesco's last and if Luciano doesn't win the league or reach the last 8 of CL he'll leave at the end of 2018.

La Magica repped this.
  14. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this your own personal speculation or is this being reported somewhere?

15. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roma were owned by Unicredit by the 09/10 season, weren't they? They get the credit for that scudetto push.

Although I think Rosella was acting president, but the fact we were seized by the bank highlights the fact that any achieved success was despite her best efforts to tank us.

Java65 repped this.
  16. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And how many points were we behind Inter that time ? Yes, very close. In fact Rosella did fairly balancing the books and that Roma still remained competitive. Since our Hero American owners have taken us over - what have they brought ? Rubbish signings, crappy managers, short-termism and a stadium that probably will not be built.

Hmm, and guess what, we have to sell to buy, just like Rosella. If you call that progress, then by all means. I know the Americans might be Heros to you; as they are your country men, however; alot of us have seen different times and these guys are not the be all and end all.

17. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Rosella didn't have FFP to deal with.

18. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rosella had a poor Serie A to deal with, but nothing compared to the abysmal quality of Serie A that it is now.Still we are millions of miles away from Juve.

19. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We did have a very strong core group of players that kept us afloat punching above our financial weight at that time.

Shen-O repped this.
  20. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
  21. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he goes, I'm ready for another really big shake up. Let Monchi and the new coach build their team. I think we reached the max with this one anyway.

shiboboo repped this.
  23. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. I think we can rebuild and still compete for a CL spot. We have some good young players to build on; Alisson, Rudiger, Emerson, Florenzi, Paredes, Stroot, Salah are all still fairly young and a good core group. Add to that the Primavera squad has been excellent for the last couple years I see no reason we should blow it up and start over.

The starting squad is excellent all that needs to be done is add depth so we don't run guys into the ground.

24. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I don't know how anyone could think we've reached the max with a team that hasn't been together for even 1 season.

Java65, Haakon24 and Midfield General repped this.
  25. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The core of the team hasn't changed in the last 3-4 seasons, and they've managed to consistently fail at every big hurdle thrown at them. I'm not saying burn everything to the ground, but we are about to lose our coach, our captain, and the director who built this team all in one season. Perhaps it's time to cash in on certain players while their values are high and go in a new direction.

Wolfbeatseagle and shiboboo repped this.